Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50 year old woman had a setback and needs encouragement

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50 year old woman had a setback and needs encouragement

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 12:03 AM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cycle because I'm much more mobile on two wheels than on two legs. I have a bad knee that will need to be replaced soon. And a couple months ago I developed a bone spur in my left foot. It's often extremely painful to walk. But I can sit on the saddle and crank the pedals virtually pain free.

I've wished I could ride my bike up and down the aisles at Walmart instead of walking. It's coming to that!
Old 06-05-11, 07:35 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You had a run of bad luck with the broken bones, cycleobsidian, but, you are certainly not too old to cycle. I ride with 2 clubs, and the vast majority of the men and women who ride in them are 50+ (I have a pretty good idea of who AzTallRider is referring to).

Keep it up, cycleobsidan! You will love the results!
Old 06-05-11, 08:08 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you will get back on your bike as soon as your foot has healed. You are not too old to cycle, you are not too old to ride alone and you are not too old to tour. I turned 70 yesterday and rode 70 miles with my bike group to celebrate. I didn't start cycling until I was 62. I am now training for the 100 mile ride at Hotter Than Hell in Witchita Falls in August.

Always carry identification and a cell phone with you. I feel that the benefits of cycling far outweigh the risks. Get back out there girl!!
Old 06-05-11, 11:33 AM
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by Ms. Bibendum
Hi Obsidian,
Where are you in Southwestern Ontario? Anywhere near Kitchener?
Actually, I was in Kitchener (not where I am from) when I fell off my bike. Took the city bus to the hospital!

Originally Posted by ericm979
Injuries are a normal part of being active. Your first one didn't even come from cycling! And breaking a toe isn't that unusual or problematic. .
I didn't exactly break my toe, I broke the bone in my foot that eventually leads to my toe. Hence the airboot. But this break is neither unusual nor problematic either.

Boy, when I wrote the heading that I needed some encouragement to get "back in the saddle again", I never dreamed I would get so many inspiring responses!

Now I can't wait to get back on my bike! 3 weeks more then off with the airboot. If I can get hold of a stationary bike, I can maybe even get my legs stronger for that time.

You all have given me wonderful ideas: take it slow, be a bit more careful, it's only natural to have accidents when you are active, take your time to build up your confidence, and the perennial, you don't stop because you're getting old, you get old because you stop!

This is a great forum for inspiration!

Have a ride for me today!
Old 06-05-11, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Former Kitchener area dweller here. Hope you heal quiclkly and get back on the bike soon.
Old 06-05-11, 04:16 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not female, but I had a couple of bad crashes about 8 years ago. I still went out and rode, but I was pretty tentative on corners. I am not sure what the deal with corners was, neither crash involved any cornering whatsoever. Both crashes were bad and at a more advanced age, that sort of thing makes one think. At least, it made me think. My riding confidence has come back. But there are situations I avoid now, like riding with fast and reckless riders. It just is not worth it.
Old 06-05-11, 04:40 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Get better . . . and buy a rear rack for your bike to put stuff on.
Suggest taking calcium supplements for stronger bones.
We are ages 78/76 and still pedaling around a 100 miles a week.
Can hardly wait 'til we get older!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
_DSC3332.jpg (105.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-05-11, 06:30 PM
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem

Get better . . . and buy a rear rack for your bike to put stuff on.
Suggest taking calcium supplements for stronger bones.
We are ages 78/76 and still pedaling around a 100 miles a week.
Can hardly wait 'til we get older!
I have a rear rack. For years, I've gotten by with a 6 pack, soft sided beer type cooler for my things, tied on to the rack with bungees. (I know I called it a tote bag but really it is a cooler.) I had temporarily removed it from the back of the bike, slung it on my shoulder, went down a declining road to the bus stop where I was going to put my bike on the bus rack. That is where the dreaded accident happened.

Switching to panniers might be a good idea. Switching to running shoes instead of the durable close toed Keen sandals I was wearing is idea number two. My calcium supplements started three days ago.

78 and 76 and still pedaling 100 miles a week! That has to be one of the most inspiring things I have heard.

Happy riding!
Old 06-05-11, 08:07 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking buddy and I are doing the Ride to Conquer Cancer from Toronto to Niagara Falls next weekend. I turned 53 this year. Not wishing to out someone on her age without her permission, let me just say she's more than a dozen years older than I am, and she's faster than I am on the flats, dammit, although I sometimes overtake her on the hills.

I draw the line on biking on ice though.
Old 06-05-11, 08:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
There are some awesome women posting here. You go girls.
Old 06-05-11, 10:27 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Cycleobsidian:
Heck our kids are older than you . . .
My wife/stoker has ridden over 230,000 miles on tandems with me, including way back in the 1970s we did quite a bit of riding in Ontario. Great place to ride even if the OPP stopped us once to give us a lecture about how dangerous it is to cycle (funny)!
Panniers may be an idea as it puts the weight a bit lower on the rear of the bike and you can carry more 'stuff'!
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 06-06-11, 07:57 AM
Member from- uh... France

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was out riding with my wife just a month before her 50th birthday when we bumped wheels and she face planted on the pavement at 19 MPH. She smashed several layers of bone around her right eye, and had to have reconstructive surgery with titanium mesh installed to reconstruct her face. Her front teeth went all the way through her upper lip. She spent five days in the hospital. she was off her bike for about two months. She immediately went back to riding, which really impressed me.

Speaking to a good friend of hers months later about that, her friend described a horrific bicycle accident she had suffered 10 years earlier, but she also got right back on her bike and rode. I never forgot what she said: "I've crashed while driving my car, and while riding my bike. If you have to crash, you might as well crash doing something you love."
Old 06-06-11, 10:37 PM

Bikes: Me; Fuji Road Bike and GT Mountain Bike; spouse Cannondale Road Bike and GT Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycleobsidian, recently turned 60 years old. I still weight train with a 34 year old body builder, but am starting to rack up more serious mileage, both on a mountain and road bike. Aside from the obvious, shouldn't have been riding with a heavy tote on your shoulder, I would strongly encourage adding some resistance training to your regimen. In the past several years I have increased my protein intake dramatically, six meals a day, protein at each meal, and have seen significant strength gains. I still carry too much weight but am seeing steady progress in my riding . After a serious shoulder injury a year ago I now lift more than ever. It is never too late to continue to make strenght gains if you are willing to watch your nutritionals and incorporate resistance training. TJMAX