Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Cannondale CAAD 10.3, Felt B16
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding in the Rain

I won't do it. It's hard on the bike, it's dangerous, the visibility sucks (for me and car drivers), the traction is iffy, and it's freakin' uncomfortable. Even with rain gear, I still get wet, and that is just miserable. I don't mind suffering on a ride, but misery is another thing!

Those of you who do ride, no matter the weather, well - more power to you. Me, fair weather rider (even on my motorcycle)!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't mind, but only in the hot summer (nice cool shower to cool me down ).
    I ride my backup aluminum bike, though (not the Trek carbon).

Oh, and don't wear the white jersey.
    Last edited by kenji666; 06-04-11 at 10:36 AM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rain is not pleasant but in this country it is necessary. Had no rain for 3 months now so I would welcome some- or even a lot of the stuff.

And nothing wrong with rain riding- just make certain that the bike is thoroughly cleaned afterwards and that you don't fall over in it.

And the attachment is not blurred- that is the Rain coming down.

mtb4.jpg
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my second bike, which has lower quality components, as a rain bike. It doesn't bother me that it gets dirty and I am resigned to replacing headsets and BB bearings often. Fenders help keep the water off, as does good rain gear. With that I am ok with wet roads and moderate rain. But I'll skip riding outside when it's pouring.

I rearranged my training schedule to make today a rest day so I would not have to ride in this unusual for California June deluge.

Randomhead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like riding in the rain if it's above 60F or so. If it's in the 30's it can be somewhat unpleasant. Good fenders help a lot. Never thought it was more dangerous other than traction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it's not raining when I start, I'll go, even if there is a 90% chance of rain. Once it starts to rain, I just keep going on my normal route. If it gets really bad (poor visibility, etc), I'll start heading back.

My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Cannondale CAAD 10.3, Felt B16
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The few times I have been caught out in the weather, I was very careful to go over the bike(s) afterwards and thoroughly clean it. I worry about water getting into wheel bearings, the bottom bracket, the steering stem, etc. I really worry about the finish, I hate for my babies to get all grungy and corroded! I'm one of those people who cleans my bike after every ride, anyway, and I'm the rare gal who keeps up with it mechanically, too. Still, water is hard on it, and I avoid it.
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my best rides was in Kauai with a snorkel pack and parka with a steady rain. Not a big fan of riding in the rain around here, but I do when I have too. I just rinse the bike and dry it. I think the chain takes the most abuse.

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I normally hate riding in the rain too but down in my part of the world we haven't much rain at all for a couple of months. Right now I'd ride in it to celebrate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No choice here in Vancouver. That said, I love riding in light drizzle. It is hard on the bike though. They should invent some kind of Water Dispersant to spray on...

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See Rule Nine: Velominati — The Rules

I ride year round. If I didn't ride in bad weather, I wouldn't have a job any more. You can't call in because it's raining or snowing.

There are times I prefer snow to rain, and times I prefer rain to snow. Either way, a little extra TLC and the bikes are just fine.

I lead a 50-mile club ride today. It started raining at the 25-mile mark. Good crew though. Everyone knew the chances before we left, and there was no whining. Of course, it opens up the paceline a little bit. Otherwise, you're face is full of the other guy's spray. This slows the whole thing down a bit, but it's much more pleasant than a face full of spray when passing, say, a dairy farm.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rains too much here not to ride in the rain. However, it never gets cold so in my opinion its a wash. (rather ride in pouring rain in Hawaii than in the cold .)

Mike

Loves to suffer freighttraininguphill's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Langster 42x16 SS, Peugeot mixte 42x16 FG, Specialized Dolce Triple, Trek Wahoo 29er, Bike Friday Pocket Companion folder, TerraTrike Rover
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarals View Post
    I won't do it. It's hard on the bike, it's dangerous, the visibility sucks (for me and car drivers), the traction is iffy, and it's freakin' uncomfortable. Even with rain gear, I still get wet, and that is just miserable. I don't mind suffering on a ride, but misery is another thing!

Those of you who do ride, no matter the weather, well - more power to you. Me, fair weather rider (even on my motorcycle)!
    I agree 110%. The only bike I've deliberately taken out in the rain is my adult trike with fenders. Like you, I still got wet and uncomfortable eventually. I have never found a way to stay comfortable and dry on long rides in the rain. I also don't care to shorten the life of my bike by riding in that crap too much.

Since rain is such a problem for cyclists, why haven't velomobiles taken off here in the US like they have in other countries? They solve all the problems of riding in the rain. If there was enough of a demand for them in this country maybe they wouldn't cost as much as a brand-new car (or a high-end carbon race bike).

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    See Rule Nine: Velominati — The Rules

I ride year round. If I didn't ride in bad weather, I wouldn't have a job any more. You can't call in because it's raining or snowing.

There are times I prefer snow to rain, and times I prefer rain to snow. Either way, a little extra TLC and the bikes are just fine.

I lead a 50-mile club ride today. It started raining at the 25-mile mark. Good crew though. Everyone knew the chances before we left, and there was no whining. Of course, it opens up the paceline a little bit. Otherwise, you're face is full of the other guy's spray. This slows the whole thing down a bit, but it's much more pleasant than a face full of spray when passing, say, a dairy farm.
    I just got a virtual whiff of that dairy farm

And where you have farms you have poop. And where you have rain you have liquid poop.

When I go offroading with my jeep and if it's a known horse trail I will stay wide of any and all water puddles because of the yuck that splashes up. If you happen to hit one with the top down......mercy.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    I just got a virtual whiff of that dairy farm

And where you have farms you have poop. And where you have rain you have liquid poop.

When I go offroading with my jeep and if it's a known horse trail I will stay wide of any and all water puddles because of the yuck that splashes up. If you happen to hit one with the top down......mercy.
    Offroading and keep your mouth closed. Especially if 2nd in our group. Lead rider will take a line that others will follow and Nothing better than running through a fresh Cowpat or even better Bunny hopping into one- and spraying the following riders.

Most of our riding is down on the South Downs way- popular with mountain bikers- horse riders and dog walkers. Big open spaces with plenty of Sheep and cattle.The one big No-No with us is going anywhere the car parks. Owners open the car doors and dog exits- does a poo- runs around for 10 minutes before being called back to the car and home.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was on a long group ride Mon and we hit some pretty good showers halfway through it. It was it around 80 F and we got soaked. We weren't going to stop or cut the ride short so we kept going. After about an hour it started to clear up, the sun eventually came out and overall, it was magnificent. On this ride, the rain added positively to the overall experience.

Also, as always, HTFU.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With good rain gear (in particular the Shimano Gore-Tex shoes) and full fenders it's tolerable...the last 20+ miles of the century I did last weekend were in the rain. Heavy rain + wind is a deal-breaker for me though.

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The perfect weather conditions for me to ride is a cloudy day, with no wind and a temperature of about 60 degree's F. Of course I prefer no rain, however I have had so many great/fun rides in the rain, that it doesn't deter me from going out. Sometimes I'll go for the first mud puddle to be done with it. I treat my chain with care, clean my bike on occasion, clean my break pads regularly, and have no bike problems...

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I don't worry about getting wet, as there is no way to avoid it. I only worry about staying warm, and use rain gear only to fix a flat, which allows me enough time before becoming chilled too much.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
    One of my best rides was in Kauai with a snorkel pack and parka with a steady rain...
    I ride in HNL a couple times a year and every other or third ride will have a fair amount of rain involved. It actually feels kind of nice, and the descents aren't mind numbingly cold. The junk that cakes on the drivetrain and bike, eh, not so much.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind riding in the rain, but hate the post ride cleanup. And since it's possible to keep your bike sparking clean without ever washing it with water, I understand about not wanting the rain running down into those nicely lubed components. But since I just got N+1, I now have a "bad weather commute bike".

One thing I will likely NOT do again, is to head home trying to beat a forecast of hail. I was pummeled by hail the size of shooter marbles, and ended up with purple bruises on my legs and arms. I passed one other guy in the middle of it, when you couldn't even see the flooded path, and we laughed hysterically at each other. Yowza!
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty good at studying the weather radar and avoid the rain if possible. But every now and then I get stuck in it or sometimes a commitment will cause me to ride in the rain. Last year I signed up for the tour de cure - it was a rain day and the first 1/2 of the ride was a constant rain. I am not worried about rain hurting the bikes, my CF bike won't rust. My steel bike won't rust either, it is nickle plated. Bearings all sealed and unless you drive water in with pressure they are fine. Just hose off the grit at the end of the ride and things will be OK. I have never been one to need to maintain appearances in pristine condition, just need things to be mechanically sound. So I prefer not to ride in the rain, I will pick the best time to avoid it but I will go in it if I have to.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At temperatures over 70F, rain is free sweat. And a nifty pre-rinse, too; wipe the bike off with a rag when you get home, and it's cleaner than when you started! or at least when I started...

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree w/Sweat Washing

Quote Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
    At temperatures over 70F, rain is free sweat. And a nifty pre-rinse, too; wipe the bike off with a rag when you get home, and it's cleaner than when you started! or at least when I started...
    I appreciate summer rain showers to take off some of the sweat/salt accumulation. Of course, the bike doesn't sweat. It gets gritty...so needs the first bath when we're done. I get the 2nd bath.

Usually rain is pretty fun to ride in. In heavy traffic or with no shoulders - it can be terrifying. I worry about driver visibility and judgment (because only the most mature drivers ACTUALLY SLOW DOWN AND PAY CLOSE ATTENTION when it's raining.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast