Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep Your Head On A Swivel

Ok, you know I mean keep it on your neck. But, recently, in my area there has been an epidemic of people riding their cycles the wrong way on the highways and roads. One yesterday only escaped collision with my SUV because I was in the process of a lane change. He was so close I could see the color if his eyes and every detail of dress.

His expression was one of "get out of my way", not "My God! I almost got killed". So, it is a pretty good assumption he rides where he wants as a matter of habit.

I ride that road on my bike with never a problem as there are good shouilders and people really do look out for bikes. But, riding in the vehicle lane and the wrong way is not something people expect.

Even though you will not be at fault please look out for these folks since they are obviously not looking out for themselves. If nothing else it will save you a lot of paperwork and a trip to the body shop. And, it might delay the biker's demise until wisdom sets in.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are having problems between drivers and riders up here, like starting real early this year. Then there are the few that ruin the general reputation and image for the many. Some drivers are thinking all bikers should be crammed on the bike path 15mi from here. Hopefully things will calm down a little bit in our area.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about education. The question is how to best educate people on the fine points of sharing the road?
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't really have a problem with Cyclists or drivers over here but there is always the exception. I am a rider that rides because he likes it. I also want to stay alive so keep and eye open for cars and truck and give them respect--They are a lot bigger than me.

However- I have recently been around some Club racers in our area and I am not happy with their attitude. All they want is speed and don't care what the traffic is doing in front of them- They will still go as fast as they can- no matter what the conditions. I can see a big accident ocuring shortly with this group of Morons that do not even respect their own lives- let alone other people.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only instance where I agree with Darwin's Theory is where it comes to survival of the fittest (smartest). Is it really a totally bad thing when stupid people take themselves out of our species' gene-pool?
    Who is John Galt?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
    The only instance where I agree with Darwin's Theory is where it comes to survival of the fittest (smartest). Is it really a totally bad thing when stupid people take themselves out of our species' gene-pool?

Good take and I totally agree.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I hurry up, I can make this left hand turn before that light changes and that pickup truck hits me. An awful lot of cyclists think this. Unfortunately, the guy in the truck is thinking the same thing.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xizangstan View Post
    As long as they don't take me out with them or cause me to hire a lawyer to defend myself.