Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jump from 30 to 40 miles? I did it!!

So today I tried the 40 mile ride I was talking about last week, and I made it! Here's the route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/36453650

Plan A was to have my husband pick me up at the library, which was 42 miles. But 42 is such a wishy washy number I decided to keep going to 45. At 45 miles I looked at my odometer and realized I was only 3 miles away from hitting 2,000 miles, so how could I stop? So, I ended up with 48 miles. Another wishy washy number and I was tempted to go for 50, but DH wanted to go to Lowe's so I stopped.

I feel pretty good! My legs are tired but not sore (yet). I finally gave up on the saddle I've been riding for the past two months and changed back to my old one after this ride. I was starting to think a female castration would be preferable to sitting on that seat any longer. I stopped at mile 30 to eat some fig newtons per the advice from this group. I'm an athena trying to lose some weight, and haven't been eating on my shorter rides. Imagine how happy I was to be TOLD to eat something and was looking forward to those fig newtons. Unfortunately, at mile 30 I had no interest in eating, but I ate two anyway. What else could I eat during a ride that might be easier to get down, gu's, maybe?

So, I was slow, but I was able to get up the hills fairly comfortably, and did the distance, so I'm really happy!

Tabriz

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Mountaineering thing Hillbasher's Avatar
    My Bikes
    4 Road 2 Mtn
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by missjean View Post
    What she said. Congrats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's awesome. Some pretty good climbs too. Good job! Now try for 100.

My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dehydrated banana chips are pretty good and light weight.

My Bikes
    Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Now keep at it

I think it is hard to eat enough on a ride to replace the calories you are burning and you end up feeling bloated if you try. The goal is to replace enough to keep your energy level up. Of course the advice I have looked up for cycling nutrition is geared only towards people trying to do long rides and finish strong. Since you are trying for a weight loss you may have to seek out different advice from what most of us will give you. I don't think a few fig newtons will blow your diet though

Ken

My Bikes
    Too many to count
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I told your so! Once you reach a certain level, you can just keep going. And going
    faster.

Big high five for a job well done!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone! The sobering thought for me is that I'll need to do this 6 days in a row this Fall when I do the Utah Cliffs Route.

Tabriz

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blimey.There's us trying to talk you into just upping your milage a bit and you go and slaughter it. Whilst on slaughering- ignore the husband- or shoot him for stopping you on the next goal on this ride of 50. You will have to do that one next (But not today)

Now the problem of not being able to eat- that is a common one so more rides to get a bit fitter and you will be able and want to eat the whole packet of fig newtons- and the banana- and the bag of dried fruit- and the cereal bars and the fruit cake you packed just in case.

Well done on the ride but don't forget that today you have to do a recovery ride to get the legs working again. Only 5 miles or so at a slowpace and no effort but with cadence at your normal rate. This is only to get the legs working and get the blood rushing through them to get some movement into those tired muscles. Just a pity you didn't get the saddle right before yesterday.

Well done.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 1.5 2009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done, Tabriz! And what a beautiful part of the country for your ride.

If you're going to keep pushing on your distance (and you sound like that will be a goal for you), experiment with different options for eating during the ride. Some people like the gels, others go for sweet or non-sweet, Clif bars or Heed. There are many, many options and you will find something that works for you.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabriz View Post

Imagine how happy I was to be TOLD to eat something and was looking forward to those fig newtons. Unfortunately, at mile 30 I had no interest in eating, but I ate two anyway. What else could I eat during a ride that might be easier to get down, gu's, maybe?
    I don't get hungry when I'm riding longer distances so I have to make myself eat. Find something that appeals to you: bananas, pb&j, nuts & dried fruit, cookies, Clif bars - whatever sounds appetizing and can fit into your jersey pocket or saddle bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! And the Utah Cliffs Route? I like the sound of that. Is that an organized ride? Is there a map?

Back in the Saddle
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Vaya, Giant Mtn Bike, Draft SE SS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The recovery ride is key. I know anytime I do a ride that is significantly longer than the norm, I feel it a bit the next day and when I've not gone out and pedaled I've regretted it.

Keep up the good work!
    Indianapolis IN
    2012 Salsa Vaya 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bananas are pretty much the perfect riding food-if you can avoid squishing them. Fig Newtons are excellent as well. If you're having a hard time getting them down, try washing them down with some chocolate milk. That combo gives you good carbs, sugar and protein. You'll more than burn off the calories on your ride-actually, you'll need the calories. Stop for a rest at a convenience store. If you're over 50 and an Athena, nobody has the right to complain if you want to have a little rest in a 50 mile ride. Way to go! Keep it up!

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the Breakfast section in your grocery store.
    They will have many foil wrapped bars you can eat while pedaling your bike.

[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Giant Boulder SE, Fuji 3.0 Newest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulation on your ride. So glad you accomplished this.

Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Well done on the ride but don't forget that today you have to do a recovery ride to get the legs working again. Only 5 miles or so at a slowpace and no effort but with cadence at your normal rate. This is only to get the legs working and get the blood rushing through them to get some movement into those tired muscles.
    Well done.
    This I did not know. Today I will not be able to do a recovery ride, but i will keep in mind for the future.
    With God all things are possible.

Fuji Newest 3.0
    Giant Boulder!

http://app.strava.com/athletes/117694

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...Iqb/weight.png

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a metric century in your future. Congratulations.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willb1046 View Post
    Congratulation on your ride. So glad you accomplished this.

This I did not know. Today I will not be able to do a recovery ride, but i will keep in mind for the future.
    Said a bit tongue in cheek- considering the saddle problem but Recovery rides after a hard ride will do you good in furure.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We knew you could! Nice work!

My Bikes
    Too many to count
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word! Raisins!

My Bikes
    2009 Kona Sutra, 2010 Kona Dew Plus, 2008 Raleigh Companion Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four words! Walnuts and dried cherries!
    Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
    2009 Kona Sutra, 2010 Kona Dew Plus, 2008 Raleigh Companion Tandem

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabriz View Post
    Thanks, everyone! The sobering thought for me is that I'll need to do this 6 days in a row this Fall when I do the Utah Cliffs Route.

Tabriz
    What's the Utah Cliffs Route?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Utah Cliffs Loop is an Adventure Cycling route http://www.adventurecycling.org/rout...op.cfm?pg=more

If I can find someone to do it with I'll do it as mapped. If I can't, I'll stick to the roads and do an approximate route that is 260 miles. My husband doesn't want to ride it with me, but he'll drive the SAG wagon, so if I stay on the roads he can check in with me periodically.

But, I'll need a new bike to do this trip if I do the actual route since it's 50% dirt (Oh no!) Any suggestions? I don't really want to do it on a mountain bike because I'll also be on pavement.

Tabriz

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could put some cyclocross tires on it if it's a decently smooth dirt road.

EDIT: Didn't see this:

Because you'll be riding a combination of bike paths, paved roads, and rugged backcountry tracks, a good mountain bike – preferably one that's fully suspended – is the bicycle of choice (however, a hardtail or even a bike with no suspension will work fine, if that's what you're accustomed to riding).
    Sounds like it might be too rugged for a road bike?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Utah Ride.

Unless you have a wallet big enough to get a good one- Do not go for a Fully suspended mountain bike. In fact-I would not go for a mountain bike unless you intend to do offroad trails on a regular basis in the future. EXCEPT- there is a form of MTB Termed a 29er. Others can inform you of the advantages and differences on this type of bike- but they are suited to offroad on "Flat" (for offroad) routes. It has a larger wheel than an MTB and can take a wider tyre than most road bikes.

That is if you need a "New" bike. Your current one may be able to take a wide tyre with tread and the Trail may not be that demanding to require anything else. Perhaps others can advise you on the severity of this trail.

Spike Milligan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast