Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy Heart Rate!

I did my last century today prior to Ride the Rockies. I felt tired last week so I actually rode less and easier-and it worked! Another example of the importance of recovery.

The century I did is in the NC mountains but is really flat-only about 4000 ft of climbing. I've done it 3 times and every time I finished in under 5 hours. The trick is to work hard early to stay with the lead group for at least 15 miles until the course smoothes out and it's easier to hang with the group.

There were 900 riders so it's important to stay near the front to avoid crashes. I was so close to the front I found myself leading the 900 riders after about 5 miles!

However staying with the front group was harder work today. My Heart Rate was way too high. I saw it hit 180+ and my max is 194. After a number of miles I started getting that quesy feeling you get after too much exertion. Since having to take 3 months off getting my Aerobic fitness back has been the biggest challenge.

So I backed off and rode with some other groups where I could keep the heart rate more manageable.

I wore my 50+ bike kit and got LOTs of comments.
    Ride your Ride!!

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you are back on the bike.

What with your swan song and physical stuff I thought we had lost you to the links...

Good Luck out west!

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elevation in the Rockies will keep you from doing that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i envy you going to COlorado... it's a great place to ride. You can count on setting speed records on the downhills, as there is less air friction I have gone about 56... and I was passed by a tandem that was going even faster... however, that is too fast. It was exhilarating though. Have a great trip!

train safe-

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I did my last century today prior to Ride the Rockies. I felt tired last week so I actually rode less and easier-and it worked! Another example of the importance of recovery.

The century I did is in the NC mountains but is really flat-only about 4000 ft of climbing. I've done it 3 times and every time I finished in under 5 hours. The trick is to work hard early to stay with the lead group for at least 15 miles until the course smoothes out and it's easier to hang with the group.

There were 900 riders so it's important to stay near the front to avoid crashes.
    I was so close to the front I found myself leading the 900 riders after about 5 miles!

However staying with the front group was harder work today. My Heart Rate was way too high. I saw it hit 180+ and my max is 194. After a number of miles I started getting that quesy feeling you get after too much exertion. Since having to take 3 months off getting my Aerobic fitness back has been the biggest challenge.

So I backed off and rode with some other groups where I could keep the heart rate more manageable.

I wore my 50+ bike kit and got LOTs of comments.
    You get the most aggressive rider award.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have a great trip coming up and you are prepared for it. I think you will find that your hills will easily have preped you for the Rockies. Remember your history, the settlers found it much more difficult to go over the Appalachian mountains than the Rockies.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were 900 riders so it's important to stay near the front to avoid crashes. I was so close to the front I found myself leading the 900 riders after about 5 miles!
    If I knew the ride was going to be that slow I would have come out!

Sounds like you're back to form.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    If I knew the ride was going to be that slow I would have come out!

Sounds like you're back to form.
    It was slow until I got out front and made all 900 suffer-or I think it was just me!
    Ride your Ride!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was slow until I got out front and made all 900 suffer-or I think it was just me!
    Typical- Thinking of the other riders.

Glad to see you are back.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    900 riders!!? How does one find out about such events with large attendance anyway? My resources seems sparse at best, and they rarely post the attendance to expect.