Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short Silver Comet preview ride today!

I played a bluegrass festival in Rockmart GA last night, and took the Bianchi with me hoping to get in a preview ride. I was up at 6 this morning, and rode a couple of hours on the trail before the trip back to Sweet Home AL. Folks, if you ever get the chance to ride the Silver Comet/ Chief Ladiga trail, do it! It's over a hundred miles of paved, carless bliss (well, if my little excursion this morning is any indication!).
    El Segundo and I are planning to ride the entire trail in two weeks. Anyone interested, come ride with us!
    Faster than a sundial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in NW Florida now but lived in Atlanta my whole life and family is still there. I get up there 5-6 times a year and carry my bike every time. It's a little crowded on a weekend at the trailhead in Smyrna but it thins out nicely in 10 miles or so. Fantastic trail!

I'll be there again this week.

A couple of shots from the Smyrna (Atlanta metro) end---

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rockmart is a cool little place! East versus westward direction from Rockmart would give you two entirely different riding experiences. Did you go by the local swimming hole near there? Here's some shots taken last July in the Paulding-Rockmart area.

Wish I could join you!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst things about the Silver Comet / Chief Ladiga trail are that it's on the other side of Atlanta from where I live and the first 10 miles or so on the Atlanta end can get pretty crowded on weekends.

The Silver Comet is mostly rails-to-trail and flat (trains don't do hills very well). The exception is the section between Rockmart & Cerdartown, GA which is not ex-rail and is very hilly in places. The climb at mile 46 westbound will get the attention of most people.

Anyone who is interested should check this link:http://www.pathfoundation.org/trails/silver-comet/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey. Thanks for the info. I plan on riding some of the Silver Comet this summer. Any information will be appreciated. I hiked a little around Hiram, I think it was, a year or so ago. Now I want to see more.
    Last edited by sknhgy; 06-08-11 at 06:57 PM.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.