Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: My first 5K

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first 5K

I did my first ever 5K run Saturday evening. I'd been using the C25K program to see if this was going to work, but I hadn't completed it yet - I'd only gotten up to 20-minute runs so far, and that was at a decidedly shuffle-like pace of 5.1 MPH on the treadmill. This was outdoors, on a hot, hilly course. But I thought if I could do at least 20 minutes before taking a walking break, and then walk and run as I was able, I might actually finish, and with luck, break 40 minutes. Even though there were a couple of times I wondered why in the hell I was doing this to myself, I was very happy to see my final time was 36:41, inlcuding two 3-minute walking segments (those hills were killing me).

And of course, I had to throw in a couple of short rides over the weekend, too (17 mile run to the farmers' market on Saturday morning, and a 27 mile "recovery" ride in Shelby County Sunday morning). Add to the mix a lawn mowing and 7 or 8 bike test rides over both days, and I'm pretty pooped right now, and my hamstrings are still sore.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job,you must be a fast walker.