Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Cycling POWER food.

I felt good this morning so did an extra lap around Stone Mountain. I wasn't as tired after the extra lap as I am some days after the first lap. My average speed was also up, about the same as it was last summer. Now, what did I do to feel so good?
    We ate supper at The Varsity last night. For those of you who live near Atlanta or who have visited here, you know what The Varsity is like and all about the food they serve.
    I had a slaw dog, an m-k steak and we shared fries and onion rings.
    I wonder what they put in their food? One of the "banned substances"? Am I now a doper? I'll have to try this again next time I'm feeling poorly to see if their food truly is POWER food for cycling.

BTW: I did my first ever Pie ride on Saturday (6/4). Did my usual ride and when I got home my sweet wife had fresh blackberry pie waiting. :yum:
    Last edited by RonH; 06-06-11 at 02:57 PM.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have found a late meal the night before a ride does help with an early start. I normally go for Pasta or something with plenty of rice but also include plenty of protein aswell. (I am not a great veg lover). I need the Carbs for a ride but the the proten and fat in meat does seem to help me.

But Pie after the ride? would have been better if it was on the ride aswell as after but you have made me ask the wife what fruit we have in the freezer now. Looks like it is going to be Gooseberry-Black currant or Rhubarb Pie tomorrow night

Yippee.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did ya have Ketchup on that dog ?? I like the Varsity, go every time I visit.
    If you want a lighter bike ? Eat more salads !!!!

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I had a slaw dog. Ketchup was on the m-k steak (m=mustard, k=ketchup, steak=small burger).
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I have a long ride coming up, a few days before I cycle easy or not at all and eat well (but not excessive) the day before. I make sure to have a good desert (pie and ice cream before) and then when I get up - a normal breakfast and I feel like $1M. This is what I did last weekend and had a great century. Then afterwards a nice meal with lots & lots of protein (hold the pie & ice cream) and I am good to go again within a day.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Specialized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    No, I had a slaw dog. Ketchup was on the m-k steak (m=mustard, k=ketchup, steak=small burger).
    Um um good.
    If you want a lighter bike ? Eat more salads !!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A regular staple for us Georgia Tech alumni. My cholesterol could handle it back then, though.

My Bikes
    Me; Fuji Road Bike and GT Mountain Bike; spouse Cannondale Road Bike and GT Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with 'cyclinfool' that some serious carbs the day before an aggressive workout is a good strategy. During the ride I load up on electorlytes with some with carbs added, combined with an amino acid drink. Live in Scottsdale so not unusual to be reading in 100 degrees plus. The combination allows me to keep going longer and harder. Many times I'll ride 10 miles to the gym, do a leg workout and then ride home uphill. The electrolyte and amino acid blend allows me to do both and survive. Ten grams of glutamine in a post workout drink keeps the soreness to a minimum the next two days. TJMAX

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who knew? Varsity the next breakfast of champions?
    Georgia state law stating that bicyclists “May Use Full Lane” when lane widths are not wide enough for motorists to safely pass cyclists and stay completely within the travel lane. (now all I have to do is convince GA drivers to read the law).

Cannondale Synapse 6.