Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Ooopsy...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooopsy...

I headed out Sunday morning hoping to get in about 40 miles.

It's been a very lean year for cycling and I had only amassed 600 miles up to this point, and they were very spread-out with long non-ride periods in between. My 60th birthday is approaching as well as a local recumbent rally and I truely need to be in way better shape than I am. So, with barely three weeks to strengthen up, I hit the road in hopes of riding about 40 miles.

About 25 miles into my ride I happened upon fellow BF'r Gyro. We visited for a spell and decided to ride off towards the western horizon together. Well, distracted by his interesting and informative conversation the next thing I knew we were at a burger stand and I had ridden 50 miles.

Long story short... we had a snack, rode another ten miles, and parted ways.

Sooooo.... either I have completed my Birthday Ride two weeks early or, I won't have to concern myself too much as to whether I'll be able to ride 60 miles when the big day arrives later this month!!
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 06-06-11 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope i have the same outcome when i start to push the miles up.I have been riding with Mrs.Free and i am hoping the extra time in the saddle will count for something,and that i have chalked up enough points that someones upstairs rewards me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I officially give you credit for your birthday ride. Heck, it is the only official thing I can do any more, and I'm not even sure about this.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Specialized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you & Good ride. It's amazing when you get to cranking & talking to friends how fast the time goes.
    If you want a lighter bike ? Eat more salads !!!!

My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Cannondale CAAD 10.3, Felt B16
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridinmurray View Post
    Good for you & Good ride. It's amazing when you get to cranking & talking to friends how fast the time goes.
    ...and the miles!

WTG!!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on talking to a friend while moving. I got up a long hill that bothers me a bit almost without realizing it Saturday. One of the club riders I haven't seen for a bit was catching me up on his new Scott and his life. He always helps me if I can keep up with him. I'm sure he allowed me to keep up. Our club rides are all no one left behind rides.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lenny,

Sounds like a great ride. I am sure you won't take this ride as your birthday ride as I know you will be celebrating with pie and other treats along the way. Also - I suspect we "birthday" very close to one another as mine will be here in a few weeks as well. Since I did a century yesterday I will not claim my birthday ride is done yet
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty cool day....great ride!
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for friends on rides. time flies when you are having fun?
    Georgia state law stating that bicyclists “May Use Full Lane” when lane widths are not wide enough for motorists to safely pass cyclists and stay completely within the travel lane. (now all I have to do is convince GA drivers to read the law).

Cannondale Synapse 6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just over 67 miles today, some of it in the rain. I think I'm gonna make it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Just over 67 miles today, some of it in the rain. I think I'm gonna make it.
    Naah-- What are you thinking of riding in the rain. That will ruin all of your training. At your age the knees will rust up if you get them wet so get the lubrication in as soon as possible. Best one I have found is a bottle of Bordeaux followed by a couple of Cognacs.

Well done on the age ride- still have to do mine.

How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan