Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CF vs. hail, who wins?

How does carbon fiber hold up to quarter sized hail? I'm about to find out. Last week I hit a deer with my 4 Runner and this AM my wife took it to the body shop to be repaired and to pick up a rental car. Today I drove her summer car, a 92' Lexus SC400, and put a trunk rack on it to hold my Tarmac race bike. I planned to race at the local Tuesday night training race after work today. The weather man predicted a 30% chance of scattered T-storms for the day.

Luck would have it that a major thunder storm formed over Lake Erie and has moved onto shore. For about the last 10 minutes we have been under the storm and there has been quarter sized hail falling to the extent that the ground is partially covered. So the car and my bike are out there getting pummeled with hail bombs and I'm hoping the bike is OK to race this evening. Iím not so much worried about the car as my wife has wiped the back end and front bumper on the garage door frame and it might be a good time to have the car repainted via insurance.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm...we're waiting to hear! I hope all is okay....
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suspect it will be just fine. In the course of normal riding, let alone racing, the frame is bound to get stones kicked up into it every now and again.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carbon fiber is a lot tougher than we think. I parked mine behind the van, got distracted by a phone call, jumped in the van after the phone call and proceeded to back out of the driveway

I didn't run over it but did give it a hard shove down the driveway. The LBS gave it a thorough checkup and everything was fine. This was a year ago and I'm still riding it
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in '96 I think, I was up in South Bend, In for a whitewater race when a huge T-storm hit. We were at the mall buying bath towels at the time and as we left the store the hail started to fall. At first I thought it sounded like electricity popping, the hail hitting the pavement in the parking lot. Then I saw the golf to tennis ball sized chucks of ice bouncing off the ground.

We ran to the pickup, our race boats on top, for shelter. When the first bombs hit the car I drove to the storefront up on the sidewalk to try to find shelter. The carbon boats on the roof did fine though my hood was dinged badly. I had the hood replaced. All the car dealerships in the area had severe damage as did the greenhouses on the Notre Dame campus.

The hail piled up 6" deep on the grass. It was quite a scene. Having the boats on the roof protected most of my truck from further damage. I was worried though. The sound of the hail hitting the boats and especially the metal on the car was quite impressive! The hail storm made the national news.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The strom has moved on. All is fine (I think), the CF bike didn't explode and my wife's car got powerwashed. In retrospect I made a good decision this AM by taking the computer and Power Tap heads off the bike fearing the wind they would encounter while on the trunk rack.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People throughout Phoenix are still getting roofs replaced, courtesy of insurance, because of the big hail storm we had awhile back. I was riding in it, and the (steel) bike fared far better than I did!
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the occasional rock hitting the bike while on the car going on the freeway would be worse.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your car roof/hood/trunk will be dented before the carbon fiber . . .
    They use the stuff on the space shuttle . . . 'nuf said?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Your car roof/hood/trunk will be dented before the carbon fiber . . .
    They use the stuff on the space shuttle . . . 'nuf said?
    They do, and the helicopter I fly is made of it. It's pretty tough - one of the reasons I bought a CF bike...
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a CF Mountain Bike. I've beat the hell out of that bike and it's taken the abuse just fine. I think your bike will be fine.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike survived tonight's training race just fine and apparently did not lose any speed. We averaged 25.93 mph for the 46 mile race!

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    The bike survived tonight's training race just fine and apparently did not lose any speed. We averaged 25.93 mph for the 46 mile race!
    That is a heck of a mid week training race. What are they putting in that Medina water? Please send me a case of one liter bottles.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    That is a heck of a mid week training race. What are they putting in that Medina water? Please send me a case of one liter bottles.
    It was 88 degrees and a 5 bottle race. One while warrming up, one just before the start and three during the race. This is what the race looked like from my rear hub.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was 88 degrees and a 5 bottle race. One while warrming up, one just before the start and three during the race. This is what the race looked like from my rear hub.
    For the sake of my ego, please tell me that the course was flat.

Watts must leak out of your pores as you walk around, A'Jet.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    For the sake of my ego, please tell me that the course was flat.
    I believe that there is 4' of climbing per 2 mile lap. The course has one really sharp corner and the guys are just so angry that they have to slow down that they sprint out of the corner every time.

http://carbonracing.org/westlake/Race_Course.jpg

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AJ and Hermes, how do you fellas do it?? OMG...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarals View Post
    AJ and Hermes, how do you fellas do it?? OMG...
    5 years ago I entered a local citizen race thinking that I was as good as any 50- 54 year old rider in the area. The field was about 25 -30 riders who all looked like me. I got dropped about 6 miles into a 28 mile race and did the "ride of shame" all alone back to the finish line. Those first 6 miles convinced me that I would be back to do it again, but would do what is needed to stay in the fold the next time. From that point on I made a 3 year plan to become a bicycle racer. I'm now in the 4th year of racing and have made some lifestyle changes (good diet, less bad foods, less beer and more sleep) and the commitment to improving myself. I'm fortunate in that my wife is a retired school teacher who supports my passion, our kids are hatched from the nest, I'm also retired then returned to work in the same job for 3 days a week with "flexibility of schedule" and I have several riding buddies who ended up growing into racing also. I do ride and do core and resistance exercises about 10 - 15 hrs a week also, which supplements my plan.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 years ago I entered a local citizen race thinking that I was as good as any 50- 54 year old rider in the area. The field was about 25 -30 riders who all looked like me. I got dropped about 6 miles into a 28 mile race and did the "ride of shame" all alone back to the finish line. Those first 6 miles convinced me that I would be back to do it again, but would do what is needed to stay in the fold the next time. From that point on I made a 3 year plan to become a bicycle racer. I'm now in the 4th year of racing and have made some lifestyle changes (good diet, less bad foods, less beer and more sleep) and the commitment to improving myself. I'm fortunate in that my wife is a retired school teacher who supports my passion, our kids are hatched from the nest, I'm also retired then returned to work in the same job for 3 days a week with "flexibility of schedule" and I have several riding buddies who ended up growing into racing also. I do ride and do core and resistance exercises about 10 - 15 hrs a week also, which supplements my plan.
    I see the answer there, commitment! There is another you didn't say - talent - oh, and the right genes!

I notice, too, that many of us who desire to improve our fitness or loose weight do pretty much what you've done, but perhaps not to the level that you do. Even so, if I (for example) were to take my training to the intensity that you have, I'd still be slow! You have to have the right mindset, and I think that's ingrained. It's part of the "talent equation".

Fantastic, AJ!

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most cyclists, certainly those who race, have that "eye-opener" experience - the Butch Cassidy "Who ARE those guys?" At that point, you either find the determination, and do what you have to do to keep up, or you fold your racing tent and become/stay a recreational rider. Just as each ride requires endurance, you need to hold that determination for the years it takes to get into racing form/shape. I'm still in the early stages of the process. AJ and Hermes provide a lot of inspiration.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favorite lines... Great competition yields great racers.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hermes is the leader in upping one's game. He has got Russian coaches, Australian consultants, bikes with the best bits and gadgets, bikes stored in lockers should he visit certain cities, and a wife who's racing successes mandates he does whatever it takes to continue improving.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hermes is the leader in upping one's game. He has got Russian coaches, Australian consultants, bikes with the best bits and gadgets, bikes stored in lockers should he visit certain cities, and a wife who's racing successes mandates he does whatever it takes to continue improving.

You hit on something, AJ - a partner who INSPIRES!

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarals View Post

You hit on something, AJ - a partner who INSPIRES!
    Do they have those on probikekit.com? Let's see... 2 Conti GP4000's, a dozen tubes, and one super-inspirational spouse. Standard shipping charges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast