Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-08-11, 08:15 PM   #1
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Selling your great new product idea to bike shops

I don't own a "Clean Bottle" water bottle, but I've enjoyed watching the company grow, and the owner (Dave) blogs frequently about his crazy PR stunts (dressing up like a water bottle during the Tour de France, for example) and what it's like to run a small business.

I like his new blog post about what it's like to convince bike shops to pick up his product:

http://cleanbottle.com/2011/06/08/re...ing-a-company/

By the way, this is Clean Bottle:

http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Bottle-L...7585711&sr=8-1
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 08:38 PM   #2
oilman_15106

Bikes:
You know the saying: How do you get a million dollars in the bicycle business. Start with two million.
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 06:30 AM   #3
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
Thing is my LBS sells their branded specialized bottles for $2.99 so I could buy three of them for every clean bottle. I like the idea of the clean bottle but I'm not convinced it won't leak over time just like any other bottle. Only it would leak at the bottom too.

Guess I'll have to try one and see for myself.
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 07:12 AM   #4
leob1

Bikes:
I really can not remember the last time I paid for a water bottle. Many events/promotions/companies give them away for free it makes no sense at all to pay >$8.00 for a water bottle. When they get too dirty or stinky or moldy, out they go. A little bleach and a bottle brush will keep them clean.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 06:59 PM   #5
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
I have waer bottles out the wazoo - I get about 4/year from events. We have a box of extras in the garage. I don't need any more and haven't bought one in a long time. I run them through the dishwasher when they get dirty - so I don't get it.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 08:49 AM   #6
surfrider

Bikes:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Somewhat like CamelBak bladders - there is a market for specialized products, but you need to find a 'niche' market and convince enough consumers why they should pay more when there's a cheaper existing alternative (water bottles)? CamelBak's done it, maybe Clean Bottle can do it too. Like others posted above, I prefer basic water bottles and get a lot of them fro free.
Old 06-10-11, 09:11 AM   #7
Beach Comber

Bikes: 1973 Peugeot UE-8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 2010 Trek 1.2, 2012 Bianchi Siempre
I've gravitated toward stainless steel over the past year. You can pick up a variety of tops for the same can, use them for different sports, and never have to worry about them degrading in the dishwasher. Only time I use plastic now, is when I need an insulated container.

I know, its kinda an old school look. But then again, so am I.

Oh, and the most important thing. You can get them in colors to match your bike.
Beach Comber is offline   Reply With Quote