Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the heck is Bobke saying?

I keep watching the Road ID commercial with Bob Roll and he says you need a Road ID, helmet, and then something that sounds like Bazooka or Gazooka or something like that. Anybody know what the heck he is talking about? Never heard of anything that sounds familiar, so just wondering if I'm missing something?

Maybe we just be too old and da hearing ain't what it used to be or I'm a just brain fartin

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bazooka... read one of his books, he mentions Bazooka protection frequently! Also he has a unique way of speaking or seeing things... just what makes him so charming!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    Bazooka... read one of his books, he mentions Bazooka protection frequently! Also he has a unique way of speaking or seeing things... just what makes him so charming!
    Do you have any idea what he is referring to? Only bazooka I know of is the weapon you use to blow up tanks and guns and houses and stuff. So is he just jokining or is there something else called a bazooka? I also know it's kind of a musical instrument, which is where the term for the *** came from.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HIPCHIP View Post
    Do you have any idea what he is referring to? Only bazooka I know of is the weapon you use to blow up tanks and guns and houses and stuff. So is he just jokining or is there something else called a bazooka? I also know it's kind of a musical instrument, which is where the term for the *** came from.
    Oh dear! I'm afraid that you're taking Bob Roll way too literally.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that, in Bob's world, the bazooka is needed to deal with recalcitrant cars. I can relate.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Oh dear! I'm afraid that you're taking Bob Roll way too literally.
    Actually, I could see him with the weapon in one hand, and the musical instrument in the other and riding down a big steep hill yelling, "You better get out of my way!!! TOOOT TOOOT!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what Bob means.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazooka

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also know it's kind of a musical instrument, which is where the term for the *** came from.

Um... what?

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Um... what?

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.ne...x?mediaID=7490

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.ne...x?entryID=2186#

They called the *** a Bazooka because it looked like the musical instrument.

I was just wondering if there was something else called a Bazooka used on a bicycle that I hadn't heard of.
    Last edited by HIPCHIP; 06-10-11 at 11:18 AM.

My Bikes
    Schwinn World Traveler, Raleigh Port Townsend, Bianci Roadmaster, Raleigh Clubman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bazooka Joe bubble gum.
    We have met the enemy and they is us.

Pogo

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bazooka -- kinda like the handlebar mounted rocket launcher I wanted when I was bike commuting to work.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bazooka is a brand of bubble gum from back in the '50s
    Most of you aren't old enough to know . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna git me a bassoon and blow up this thread. On second thought, it's such a little topic I'll just use my piccolo.

My Bikes
    Specialized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah,, Bazooka Joe, remember it well & I'm only 50.
    If you want a lighter bike ? Eat more salads !!!!

My Bikes
    '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a hidden reference to the baseball cards that used to come in Bazooka gum? We all used to attach them to the fork blades with clothes pins to sound like we were motorized. Gee that's a long time ago!

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Is there a hidden reference to the baseball cards that used to come in Bazooka gum? We all used to attach them to the fork blades with clothes pins to sound like we were motorized. Gee that's a long time ago!
    I think I may have used Nolan Ryan's rookie card for that. Or maybe it was Mickey Mantle.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a bazooka is also a subwoofer for your car.
    21527914_260.jpg
    2010 Kestrel RT900SL, 800k carbon, chorus/record, speedplay, zonda
    1997 Trek ZX6000, 6061w/manitou spyder, xt/xtr, time atac

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possibility of me taking a bazooka on a ride is greater than taking a Road ID.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you NVanHiker! So far, you seem to be the only one who knows that there is no such thing as a musical instrument called a bazooka. The musical instrument that so many people here are referring to is actually a BASSOON! No, I'm not a bassoon player, but I am a musician.

Hipchip, re Bob Roll, his reference to a bazooka is just Bobke being Bobke. The bazooka he's referring to is indeed the deadly weapon. It's to be used on people in cars who are making attempts to squash you like a bug.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't you ever read "Spike Bike"?
    http://linux.stevens-tech.edu/kmh/spike.bike.all.txt

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by professorbob View Post
    Thank you NVanHiker! So far, you seem to be the only one who knows that there is no such thing as a musical instrument called a bazooka. .
    If you look at the 9th post, the 4th one I made, there are three links about the musical instrument called a "Bazooka" and the guy who invented it. The 2nd link is the photo of it, and that doesn't look like any basoon I've ever seen.

From the link"
    Although today it is more commonly applied to the anti-tank weapon widely used during World War II or a product of Topps Chewing Gum, the name “bazooka” was originally given to a novelty wind instrument created by native Arkansan radio and film personality Bob Burns. Spanning the musical gap between a trombone and a slide whistle, the bazooka produces a narrow range of notes with a tone that is more comical than dulcet.
    Burns developed the bazooka one evening, as early as 1905, during band practice at Hayman’s Plumbing Shop in Van Buren, Burns blew into a gas pipe that made a sound described as a “wounded moose.” Inspired by this, he developed a new instrument from two interconnecting pipes, a slide handle, a whiskey funnel, an inset trombone-like mouthpiece, and possibly other obscure internal parts. He called it a “bazooka,” a word he later copyrighted in 1920. The name was most likely formed from “bazoo,” a slang term meaning “a windy fellow.”
    Like the trombone, the bazooka is played with variably tense buzzing lips blowing air into a mouthpiece and a slide moving to change the overall tube length. The slide is manipulated to produce vibrato and harmonic shifts."

I was thinking of Bazooka gum, but thought if he was talking about gum, he'd just say "Gum".
    Last edited by HIPCHIP; 06-10-11 at 09:48 AM.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at the 9th post, the 4th one I made, there are three links about the musical instrument called a "Bazooka" and the guy who invented it. The 2nd link is the photo of it, and that doesn't look like any basoon I've ever seen.
    I, for one, didn't make it past the first link, which took me to a wikipedia "not found" page. So I thought you were demonstrating that there indeed was NOT such a musical instrument.

Why someone would mess with the pure perfection that is the Trombone, is beyond me.

Bob's reference is to the ***, something most folks our age are very familiar with.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so Bob said "bazooka", but what does it all mean? At least he didn't say "Sackbut"!

-G

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    I, for one, didn't make it past the first link, which took me to a wikipedia "not found" page. So I thought you were demonstrating that there indeed was NOT such a musical instrument.

Why someone would mess with the pure perfection that is the Trombone, is beyond me.

Bob's reference is to the ***, something most folks our age are very familiar with.
    I checked it when I posted and it did open up to it, don't know why it won't now. Oh well, I got rid of the first link. 2nd one is the best as it shows the crazy instrument and the crazy who made it. Obviously a cyclist who rode without a helmet one too many times!! (LOL)

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason Bob Rolle has annoyed me since I first came across him in a cycling magazine. Can't say why. Might be the nickname "Bobke" or perhaps the full page in Bicycling (I think that's where it was) devoted to his thoughts on the perfect bicycle and showing the top of his head (a great device for taking up space). This thread and the term "Bazooka" sort of sums it all up. Don't mean to be hostile or mean-spirited but can't help noticing that he seems to command an awful lot of respect and I am not sure why. In my ignorance I probably don't know that he has some great cycling accomplishments behind him; at least I hope that is the reason.
    Last edited by Sculptor7; 06-10-11 at 07:42 PM.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast