Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ibuprophen My Good Friend

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 07:04 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts

When does the aching of traps/triceps abate? Today I did a 50miler in decent shape (in spite of the 90+ temps and high humidity and when the 3 hits of 200mg Ibuprophen wore off in the last half hour I had to up the pace just to make my legs hurt a little just to "block" the pain.

There are no injuries related in this, it's just an "in the saddle" issue. Does this get better with increased saddle time? I'm thinking the planned century ride as of today is sounding a bit painful. It's not exruciating by any means....the dull ache just begs me to stop and rest again.

Does this get better??
Old 05-30-11, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually pop a few pills when doing more than about 60 miles. My neck and shoulders are where I feel it, and a few Advil always does the trick. And about the heat - I always wear a heart rate monitor and keep an eye on it in the heat. When my HR starts to go up and my speed starts to fall, I know I'm cooked. Cycling in the heat can be a cathartic experience, but you've rally got to watch yourself.
Old 05-30-11, 07:32 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
I usually pop a few pills when doing more than about 60 miles. My neck and shoulders are where I feel it, and a few Advil always does the trick. And about the heat - I always wear a heart rate monitor and keep an eye on it in the heat. When my HR starts to go up and my speed starts to fall, I know I'm cooked. Cycling in the heat can be a cathartic experience, but you've rally got to watch yourself.
Thanx for the tip on the heat. A few weeks back I did a 20mi ride in 86deg and ended up bonking hard at 16mi. My pulse went up and speed went down just like you said. Today I was careful and when riding that hot stretch the speed was paced out wisely. Still, at the 22mi mark I needed a rest coming into town next to the cool Lake Michigan shoreline. I drank about a litre of water during that 22mi stretch.

So it sounds like the cranky neck/traps stuff is pretty much expected then. I'll keep the meds in the bag LoL
Old 05-30-11, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just stop more often and drink more sooner than you think. In hot weather i have found this works very well with taking meds. Even a 4 or 5 minute break allows me to go longer without reaching that bonk point.
Old 05-30-11, 07:53 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
Same here with respect to heat... HR up and speed down-> misery soon to follow. I am wearing some Voler sun guard sleeves this year to keep my skin protected too. As the the neck/shoulder problem I recommend raising the stem 1/8 inch and see what happens on long rides. I did this recently and it made a pretty big difference in comfort on longer rides. None of this is to deny the benefits of Vitamin I, of course!
Old 05-30-11, 09:11 PM

When I do my century (the first) it will not be on a day above 85deg, that is for sure. Overall, I feel pretty good right now. The neck/traps/triceps arent bad at all. Legs are strong, couldve ridden a bit more. Dang near gave it up at the 22mi mark but coming into the cool lake breeze saved the ride.
Old 05-30-11, 09:31 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On a different note. My wife broke her shoulder last week and was taking Ibuprofen for the pain. We got into the Ortho doc the day after the initial E.R. diagnosis and he told her to take Tylenol instead. According to him the Ibuprofen isn't as friendly to knitting bones in the first few days of healing so she switched. I didn't know this.
Old 05-31-11, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
If you have neck, shoulder and upper arm pain, you may have a fit issue with your bike. It indicates that you maybe putting too much pressure on the handlebars. Are your bars below the seat level or are they level with the seat?
Old 05-31-11, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rowan
If you have neck, shoulder and upper arm pain, you may have a fit issue with your bike. It indicates that you maybe putting too much pressure on the handlebars. Are your bars below the seat level or are they level with the seat?
They are slightly below. I like the bars at that level but am considering raising an inch or so. That was my last resort measure.
Old 05-31-11, 06:12 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A different take.

Pain is a natural body response to be listened to and respected and not disguised, particularly in normal (i.e., bicycling) activities, and is designed by nature to prevent further injuries. I don't take pain killers during an activity. I might afterwards if I find I overextended, etc. Taking pain pills during an activity allows the opportunity of unknown injury.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-31-11 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-31-11, 06:21 AM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it depends on how many you take and why. I wish I had taken a couple of ibuprofen last weekend when I did back-to-back long rides. Sunday was an easier ride, but it felt harder because my legs were so sore. Two Advil before the ride would probably have done the trick just fine.
Old 05-31-11, 07:00 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ibuprophen is my friend. After hard rides and sometimes before the next day's ride I'll be stiff and sore due to inflamation and 2 or 3 of the pills will do the trick.
Old 05-31-11, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
A different take.

Pain is a natural body response to be listened to and respected and not disguised, particularly in normal (i.e., bicycling) activities, and is designed by nature to prevent further injuries. I don't take pain killers during an activity. I might afterwards if I find I overextended, etc. Taking pain pills during an activity allows the opportunity of unknown injury.
At the dosage I take Ibuprophen (motrin) it just takes the edge off the aches. If there is something wrong I know I'd know it quickly. It is a different matter when (for example) taking 1000mg to cover your old knee injury due to cartilege problems and such. That's not what I'm talking about.
Old 05-31-11, 08:59 PM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
They are slightly below. I like the bars at that level but am considering raising an inch or so. That was my last resort measure.
An inch would be a huge change... just a few mm can be an effective change sometimes.
Old 06-01-11, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I used to take ibuprofen a bit to ease pain on LD rides, but the warnings now emerging about its affect on the heart have me resorting to paracetamol or a mix of paracetamol and codeine.

I need something different to aspirin which I take post heart attack.

I also found ibuprofen somewhat worsened the effect of dehydration with constipatiion being the most significant symptom.
Old 06-01-11, 06:52 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are blocking pain while doing something that can cause pain you are looking for trouble. Think about it.

I have a good friend that is a Pharmacist that uses nothing but aspirin. Those in the the know say aspirin has all the effects of the latest stuff but with little/no bad effects. It just isn't "popular" because it isn't new and fancy.

Read the side effects of ibu and I bet you take it easy on it from here on out. I do use it for playing softball as it makes my throwing arm nice and loose. I used to pitch and know my arm very well. It helps for that but I don't use it for anything else.

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 06-01-11 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-01-11, 07:13 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I have mild arthritis in my shoulders and a manageable lower lumbar disc problem that flare up from time to time, especially when I do a lot of long or intense riding. I have found vitamin I (ibuprofen) to be a great help in keeping the inflammation form these down to tolerable levels (along with daily stretching and alignment exercises). I pop a couple every morning and four before big rides. Usually that will get me through the day, but sometimes I'll need more later in the day. I have been doing this for several years with no ill effects and it is certainly a preferred option to surgery.
Old 06-01-11, 07:40 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well for something like that, you use what works for you. My daughter has Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and is on some very strong stuff. Sometimes you do what you have to do but for someone with just normal aches and pains to take a pill is, well......
Old 06-01-11, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
If you are blocking pain while doing something that can cause pain you are looking for trouble. Think about it.

I have a good friend that is a Pharmacist that uses nothing but aspirin. Those in the the know say aspirin has all the effects of the latest stuff but with little/no bad effects. It just isn't "popular" because it isn't new and fancy.

Read the side effects of ibu and I bet you take it easy on it from here on out. I do use it for playing softball as it makes my throwing arm nice and loose. I used to pitch and know my arm very well. It helps for that but I don't use it for anything else.
You really have to use wisdom and know your body well if you are going to use any medication during intense physical activity. For me, I only use Ibu for biking to dull the onset of aches....not pain, if there is pain I cease the activity.

I'm a wrestling coach and never have used Ibuprophen for our sometimes grueling training and practices even at my age.
Old 06-01-11, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by billydonn
An inch would be a huge change... just a few mm can be an effective change sometimes.
I'm going to raise it up for the next ride in hopes to put in more miles before the fatique ache starts.
Old 06-01-11, 02:53 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ibuprofen is a No-No for those of us that have had a heart problem. Same with other joint and muscular pain killing pills and I do not know the medical reason for this- except I have been warned not to take them. The only Pill I take on a ride now is aspirin and I only have two of those with me when I ride.

But the anaelgesic creams are fine. Apparantly they do not affect the heart so Muscular pain and after the ride and I will massage the aching muscles with Voltarol cream and wait till the pain goes away.

But it is my feeling that if a pain gets so intense that it causes a problem- then stop the ride before damage is done. I had enough serious Muscular problems when I was younger through not listening to the body to realise that pulling out now- saves a lot of pain later.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-03-11, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by billydonn
Prior to yesteday's 30mi ride I lifted the bars .5" and it seemed to help minimize the aches. Considering this was not a long ride I'm only being optimistic but I really think it's going to help substantially. Thanx for the reminder.
Old 06-11-11, 08:26 AM

As a follow up......during the 60 mile ride 2 days ago there was none of the aforementioned achey soreness of the neck/traps/triceps. In my best guess it was saddle time that remedied the problem along with a .5" lifting of the bars. Lifting the bars also encouraged me to spend more time in the drops on the intense days.

Thanx for the help guys, it has been appreciated.
Old 06-11-11, 11:30 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tend to agree with those advising not to take pain medication to block pain during physical exertion. I have found over many years experience this just makes matters worse, I allow myself to go further than I should and I hurt more and for a longer period of time later and I end up doing less overall. I have found that finding the source of the pain and working on that is a better solution. Besides over use, pain in muscle can be caused by improper hydration, not only do you need water, you need to replace electrolytes during exercise. This helps a lot. I have a knee that is showing signs of arthritis, I use a neoprene knee sock when I am doing a long ride, helps the circulation and support of the joint, reduces the pain better than any pain pill. As others state, I will use a pain med afterwards, but try to avoid them before or during a big ride.
Old 06-12-11, 12:09 AM
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I'm going to raise it up for the next ride in hopes to put in more miles before the fatique ache starts.
It sounds like you made the right decision... cool. And it does make the drops a little more accessable as you say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.