Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-10-11, 01:34 PM   #1
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Another MUP Speed Demon thread...

The weather was perfect this morning, not too hot and not too cool and it wasn't raining! It was 05:30 a.m. and I was heading home from work. The MUP seemed abandoned and I was in Nirvana.......until I was suddenly passed with no advance warning what-so-ever. This Speed Demon blew right by me like I was standing still!

Lucky thing for me I had my handy-dandy camera at the ready. That's right! I got a couple of pictures of the offending culprit. Now we can all recognise him. Be carefull as he is very quiet, and boy oh boy is he ever fast!

Add to this one deer sighting and a few rabbits...all in all a good 14 mile ride home.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 01:38 PM   #2
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
Where did you get those pictures? I was nowhere near your MUP this morning!
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 01:44 PM   #3
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Good job he had his head up-If he had run into the back of you there could have been a bit of a mess on the Mup

And this was a fact---Darwin Discovered the Giant Tortoise on his travels and sent a few back to the UK as live specimens. Problem was that it took several shipments of "Live" specimens before one arrived safely. It was not the dangers of the Voyage that killed off the Tortoise----It was the chefs cleaver. Apparantly they taste superb.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 01:58 PM   #4
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Great thread! You caught me by surprise....I am not a speed demon when it comes to jokes sometimes.

Hey, what is "MUP"?
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 02:03 PM   #5
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5
I believe it stands for multi-use-path
KBentley57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 03:26 PM   #6
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBentley57 View Post
I believe it stands for multi-use-path
You might be right. Thanx!
Old 06-10-11, 03:39 PM   #7
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: 2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
I noticed how streamlined and well-faired that SD was...I don't think Cavendish could have caught him!
Old 06-10-11, 03:43 PM   #8
OldsCOOL

That snapper is totally aero front AND back.
Old 06-10-11, 05:04 PM   #9
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Lenny,

They have been all over our MUP, they come out this time of year. But those he's are really shes - they are laying their eggs by the warm pavement.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 05:28 PM   #10
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
Lenny,

They have been all over our MUP, they come out this time of year. But those he's are really shes - they are laying their eggs by the warm pavement.
But are yours as fast as ours? Huh?

We've got tons of these down along the ponds, and I see pieces of them scattered about the roadways every year. I've actually heard of instances where traffic on the Lake Ontario State Parkway comes to a standstill waiting for a whole line of turtles to safely get across the road.

This is the first time I've actually seen one along this particular MUP (the 390 trail, just about 20 yards south of Greece Olympia sports fields for you local folks). Must be I've slowed down so much in my old age that I've entered a much slower universe!!
Old 06-10-11, 05:33 PM   #11
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Lenny,

When climbing lake desolation I usually like to sneak up behind one and draft it on the way up, they usually don't mind.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 05:52 PM   #12
Banded Krait

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9
Hey cranky,

Thanks for the photo and the nice little anecdote. I've always had a soft spot for turtles (except the snapping turtles which can take your finger off).
Banded Krait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 11:33 PM   #13
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
I saw a few of them attempting to cross the highway (Hwy 28) on the way back from my cottage up north. I've also seen the odd one sunning themselves on the pavement right in the middle of the road from time to time. It's a wonder that more of them don't get crushed.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 06:58 AM   #14
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5
I've seen more turtles in the last week on the roads then I have all year. Not any snappers, but the softball sized tarpons (sp?). I almost ran over one a few days back. It would have sent me on a toss for sure!
KBentley57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 07:34 AM   #15
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
It's gopher tortoise nesting season around here, and for the last few weeks I've seen two or three on each long ride I've had. Those things will smoke you if you're not careful.
Kurt Erlenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 09:30 AM   #16
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Yep! A jogger and I watched one dropping her eggs alongside the Erie Canal trail early this morning. As it was raining at the time I left my camera safely packed away in my pannier though.
Old 06-14-11, 07:38 PM   #17
John_V 

Bikes: 2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
In Florida, by the Gulf, they are everywhere. We get both land and sea turtles. The sea turtles are protected and running over one with a car can get you a hefty fine, especially if the LEO saw you and you made no attempt to avoid hitting it. The MUP trail at the park I ride in is in a wilderness area and you really have to be careful because there are so many of them that you sometimes have to get off an walk your bike around them to keep from hitting them.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline   Reply With Quote