Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-11-11, 04:07 PM   #1
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Schwinn World Traveler converted to a frankenbike three speed, Bianci Roadmaster,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Misguided Advice?

On a group ride last week we had a lady show up for her first ride on a slow 22 mile ride. She finished the ride but was hurting by the end of the ride.

Some of the things I and a few other noticed.

She mentioned that this was her first ride ever of more than 5 miles.

The bike was a comfort hybrid with suspension fork and the handlebars had her elbows sticking almost straight out from her body.

She had one of those thick plush saddles.

Her saddle was low enough that she could put both feet flat on the ground.

After the ride one of the ladies on the ride and I were talking to her about the ride. We mentioned that raising the saddle and possibly replacing it with one that had less padding would make for a less painful ride.

While talking with her, two other people came up and told her that if she had clipless pedals the ride would have been much easier for her and completely ignored the bike fit issues.

Shouldn't thinking about clipless wait until the bike fit issues and soe general conditioning are taken care of?

Last edited by steve0257; 06-11-11 at 04:08 PM. Reason: formatting
steve0257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 04:30 PM   #2
wphamilton
rugged individualist

Bikes: Nashbar Road
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
I think her first ride of over 5 miles jumping to 22 miles is going to hurt no matter what. But yes people get a little silly about equipment and advice.
wphamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 04:35 PM   #3
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0257 View Post
On a group ride last week we had a lady show up for her first ride on a slow 22 mile ride. She finished the ride but was hurting by the end of the ride.

Some of the things I and a few other noticed.

She mentioned that this was her first ride ever of more than 5 miles.

The bike was a comfort hybrid with suspension fork and the handlebars had her elbows sticking almost straight out from her body.

She had one of those thick plush saddles.

Her saddle was low enough that she could put both feet flat on the ground.

After the ride one of the ladies on the ride and I were talking to her about the ride. We mentioned that raising the saddle and possibly replacing it with one that had less padding would make for a less painful ride.

While talking with her, two other people came up and told her that if she had clipless pedals the ride would have been much easier for her and completely ignored the bike fit issues.

Shouldn't thinking about clipless wait until the bike fit issues and soe general conditioning are taken care of?
Absolutely! She has much bigger problems than platform pedals. There's way too much for her to learn without putting her in cleats. She is liable to fall on her ass, break her wrist and says to hell with the whole thing! I probably have a bias -- having ridden a century + 12 additional miles the same day wearing steel-toed boots and pushing on platform pedals. I think the recommendation that she needs cleats right away is ignorant elitist crap!

First priority is a little narrower, firmer seat at the right height. It need not be hard as a rock -- one step at a time.

It takes time for new riders to adjust to lower bars -- I know in the last three years I have lowered the bars on my bikes 4-8 inches.

Having said all this, if she is actually super lean and fit with good core strength etc., but just new to cycling more and bigger initial changes might just fly.

Don in Austin
Don in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 04:37 PM   #4
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
I think in general all the advice was good. Probably the best 10,000 foot advice would have been, take a look at the other more experienced riders, how are they sitting on their bikes, what equipment are they using, how much do they ride?

Several years ago there was a young rider on one of our club rides, he also works down the hall from me. I pulled him aside and told him to observe the experience riders and see what they are doing. He was low on his bike, he was spinning at about 50 rpm, and had a lot of things that needed correction. Over time he worked out the bugs and now he rides with the A riders. People can only make so many changes at a time, everyone was trying to help.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 05:07 PM   #5
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
I think her first ride of over 5 miles jumping to 22 miles is going to hurt no matter what. But yes people get a little silly about equipment and advice.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Absolutely! She has much bigger problems than platform pedals. There's way too much for her to learn without putting her in cleats. She is liable to fall on her ass, break her wrist and says to hell with the whole thing! I probably have a bias -- having ridden a century + 12 additional miles the same day wearing steel-toed boots and pushing on platform pedals. I think the recommendation that she needs cleats right away is ignorant elitist crap!

First priority is a little narrower, firmer seat at the right height. It need not be hard as a rock -- one step at a time.
Accurate assessment IMHO!
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 05:45 PM   #6
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Plus, clipless is overrated, especially for new cyclists. My wife refuses to go clipless and rides flats. We have done several multi-day tours, riding 80+ hilly miles/day and she routinely puts clipped in riders to shame. Bike fit issues are so much more important to resolve.
woodway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 07:34 PM   #7
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I rode many years with clips and tennis shoes. Not a problem. Mis-adjusted bike? Big problem!
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 07:35 PM   #8
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
OK, I've got to know.

That's a lot of people giving advice to a new rider. I'm thinking she must have been hot.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 08:06 PM   #9
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Bikes:
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0257 View Post
two other people came up and told her that if she had clipless pedals the ride would have been much easier for her and completely ignored the bike fit issues.
I have heard many stupid things and advice said at group rides.

At least you gave some good advice.