Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First fall, but good ride.

Well, after my venture into longer rides yesterday at 26 miles, I recovered nicely overnite and just did 14 this am.
    Along that way had my first bike fall since I was like 10. Had gotten off the pavement to let traffic pass and tried to "ease" my Trek hybrid tires back onto the 2" pavement. Wrong..wrong..wrong..thin hybird Bontragers won't "ease" up that acute 2 inches. Over I went and skidded like a flat rock on the river (shows my area I live in )
    Thank God for helmet and gloves, just a lil road rash on a knee and shoulder. I'm good. Got up, adjusted my sideways helmet and finished my ride.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are OK. Of course, you now know that the correct procedure is to bring your bike to a stop off the road, get it back on the road, and start again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    absolutely! It was one of those times it 'seemed' like the right thing to do, but that's not the first time in my life I've made a wrong decision. I'm thankful I wasn't hurt or my bike messed up. Seat is a lil scarred. And all this time I thought gloves were only for cushioning while you rode. They do very well for skidding across pavement too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikentn View Post
    absolutely! It was one of those times it 'seemed' like the right thing to do, but that's not the first time in my life I've made a wrong decision. I'm thankful I wasn't hurt or my bike messed up. Seat is a lil scarred. And all this time I thought gloves were only for cushioning while you rode. They do very well for skidding across pavement too.
    And that is their primary purpose. Glad you had some on!!

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're ok. You can also lift the front wheel up onto the pavement (pull up on the bars) while you're moving and continue on your way without falling.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you weren't hurt badly. That is a very common bad decision, one I still have to fight not to repeat.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised it hasn't been mentioned. Hang that helmet on your trophy wall. They are good for one-time use only. Get a new one. Road rash heals, scrambled brains are a different story.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like one bicycle manuever that you have learned not to repeat. I have my share of mishaps. Glad to hear that your lesson was learned and the tuition was cheap.