User Tag List

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI- HuffyPuffy has been obsoleted, Yeah

Just a courtesy note. HuffyPuffy name with cowboy smoking a cigar has been obsoleted.

I'm still here, but under new name and new avatar. It's been about a month since joined the forums and after commuting for several days, I don't think I will be huffing and puffing quite as much any more.

New name "HiYo Silver".

I found out the lyrics were "Hi Yo, silver" and not as I heard "Hi Ho silver."

Trivia:

Lone Ranger was broadcast from 1949 to 1957. Tonto was Jay Silverheels. Except for one replacement try, the Lone ranger was played by Clayton Moore.

Opening
    "A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty hi-yo Silver. The Lone Ranger!"

Some intermissions
    A fiery horse with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hearty "Hi Yo Silver!" The Lone Ranger. "Hi Yo Silver, away!" With his faithful Indian companion Tonto, the daring and resourceful masked rider of the plains, led the fight for law and order in the early west. Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear. The Lone Ranger rides again!

Ending
    Be with The Lone Ranger and Tonto same time next week for new dangers in another thrill packed adventure. The Lone Ranger rides again!

Lone Ranger Creed
    The Lone Ranger creed was written by the shows original writer Fran Striker. Here is what it says:

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be
    one. That all men are created equal and that everyone
    has within himself the power to make this a better
    world. That God put the firewood there but that every
    man must gather and light it himself. In being
    prepared physically, mentally and morally to fight when
    necessary for that which is right. That a man should make
    the most of what equipment he has. That 'This
    government of the people, by the people and for the people'
    shall live always. That men should live by the rule of
    what is best for the greatest number.
    That sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle
    with the world and make payment for what we have
    taken. That all things change but truth...and
    that truth alone...lives on forever. In my
    Creator...my country...and my
    fellow man."

Interestingly I always thought it was "Hi Ho Silver". Now seeing the lyrics it is "Hi Yo", "silver", "away"
    So instead of HiHo silver as some command, command sequence is:
    Hiyo -- hey you stupid horse pay attention
    Silver-- not blaze or flash, but you silver
    away-- another name for giddup

Enjoy, see you again on the forums.

Hi yo [formerly known as Huff ]

[ yeah, I know we already have a lone ranger on the forums. ]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very politically incorrect:

The Lone Ranger and Tonto were surrounded by warrior indians, on the verge of killing them.

Lone Ranger, "Looks like we have had it, Tonto."

Tonto replies, "What you mean "we," white man?"
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at least you may remember LR and Tonto. Maybe you even enjoyed them. I'm tempted to get some of the old movies to see how bad they were. One of my brothers uses SLRAWAY for his plattes.

My Bikes
    Trek 5000, Novara Randonee, Meridian Cascade
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was an avid viewer of the TV shows (too young for the radio dramas), and my brother and I fashioned masks to go along with our hats and cap guns. We were also big fans of Have ***, Will Travel when it came out, and now, viewing the DVD set of the first year of HGWT, I must admit that Palladin probably had a more fun private life than John Reid, judging from the smiles Palladin exchanged with the women at the hotel at the conclusion of most episodes!

"Who was that masked man, anyway?"

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have ***, will travel is my favorite oldie show. It beats *****man and Lone Ranger. It just didn't come to mind as quickly as the Lone Ranger. Kinda makes you wonder if slogan, "have bike, will travel" is already taken. A silver bike and a lone rider seemed like an immediate match with Lone Ranger.

I don't remember Palladin's opening and closing lines, but definitely a fun show.

Hi 'o

Out of breath again. suntreader's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that this has anything to do with cycling... but I listen to the old radio shows almost every day. In case you're interested in downloading OTR (oldtime radio) shows in mp3 format for free, here's a great place to start:

http://www.radiolovers.com/

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went and saw Clayton Moore at a Local Mall opening about 15 years ago. This was when he had to wear sunglasses due to court order not to wear his mask - trademark issue I believe. I felt very sorry for him, but he still maintained his dignity. He lived what he portrayed.
    BTW- NEVER Kilt anyone in his shows!

BTW- one of my favorite gary Larsen comics, if I remember correctly, Lone ranger in an old folks home reading an Indian Translation book and saying 'what the heck' after reading - "Kimo sabe" (sp?) tanslation= "Horses Ass"
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron
    I went and saw Clayton Moore at a Local Mall opening about 15 years ago. This was when he had to wear sunglasses due to court order not to wear his mask - trademark issue I believe. I felt very sorry for him, but he still maintained his dignity. He lived what he portrayed.
    At about the same time, when I lived in Spartanburg SC, Clayton Moore made a similar appearance at Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium. After he finished the show, Moore and his wife got into their Cadillac to leave the parking lot. Simultaneously, a pedestrian was hit by a car and knocked unconscious in front of the auditorium. Moore was a certified EMT and his wife was a registered nurse, so they rushed to the scene to administer first aid. The injured man awoke to find that his recuer was none other than the Lone Ranger. Moore stayed with the man until the ambulance arrived, then we on his way. The story made the front page of the Spartanburg Herald-Journal.

A hero in the B-movies... and a hero in real life!

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suntreader, what a great story. Clayton seems to be an honorable man and a great model. At one point he said the Lone Ranger part was his destiny. He had to wear sunglasses as the producer was cheaper than dirt and tried to replace him for 1 or 2 seasons. He was reinstated so they could sell off the series to someone else.

The kemo sabe discussion got interesting. At one point it went to court and was declared not to be racist as it meant "faithful companion".

Do a google on Lone Ranger and/or Clayton Moore. Surprisingly there are still some fan sites up giving interesting trivia.

hi 'o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I was raised after the heyday of the Saturday movie matinee heroes, I'm glad that I got to see them on television in the late 50's and early 60's. They may have been a little hokey in presentation, but they proferred values that seem to be lost (or contemptible) in our present culture.

Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autry and, of course, the Lone Ranger always stood for honor, justice. respect for women and hope for the downtrodden.

On the other hand, today's "heroes"... most of whom have at least one felony conviction under their belts... advocate violence as a first choice for conflict resolution, not to mention an utter lack of respect for those they deem to be weaker than themselves. Their way is not the "cowboy way."

Oh my goodness... I'm beginning to sound like my father... who, by the way, took me to meet the Lone Ranger when I was a little fellow.

Anyway, keep pedaling!