Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wrong Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 08:32 PM

Bikes: Giant Boulder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK--finally got out of the sweatshop for a couple days and had time to play. Yesterday I stopped at a different bike shop and bought a WSD saddle, not a cushy tushy one, but one that would offer plenty of support when pedaling hard. I also splurged on a kickstand (none on the Boulder when I bought it) and new hand grips. The salesman answered my questions, didn't push the most expensive items, and installed them on the Boulder free of charge--my kind of shop! Took the bike to the C&O where I rode 6 miles with frequent stops to make adjustments.

I came home with mud all over my clothes because this bike makes me feel like seeing how high the water in the puddles will splash when I ride straight through the deepest part

Today was a long day, with 2 doctor appointments, grocery shopping, making a pot of soup and a loaf of bread, scrubbing 3 floors and vacuuming. By evening, Granny was starting to remember she'll be eligible for Social Security in a few months--but she found enough pep for a quick 2 miles in the neighborhood, just to see how the Boulder does on pavement. As expected, just a bit sluggish because of the knobbier tires, but still fun to ride, with none of that feeling that I'm about to capsize.

And to think that I was considering an adult tricycle!

Out of curiosity, I adjusted the Cypress to match the Boulder's configuration as closely as possible, by rotating the handlebars forward and down, and raising the seat as much as possible. Tried it in the grass in my back yard (since at 9:30 it was too dark to ride on the road without lights) and had mixed results. At least when I lost control, I was able to slide forward off the bike for a fairly graceful stop.

I think the salesman in bike shop #2 was right. The Cypress is too big for me. I'll continue to look for a buyer for it. And I'll dig out the panniers and get them on the Boulder so I'll be ready for an Independence Day camping trip on the C&O with Grandpa. Nothing like working up a nice sweat, then letting the muddy waters of the Potomac wash it off. Last one in the water is a rotten egg!
Old 06-17-11, 11:26 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
What is a kickstand?
Old 06-18-11, 06:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A gadget that keeps your bike out of the poison ivy while you're in the river
Old 06-18-11, 06:53 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Do you still have your old bicycle?

If so, stand the new one next to it. See if you can mimic the relationship between the seat and the handlebars. Not necessarily the seat height but the height and distance of the handlebar relative to the seat. My bet is that'll solve your issue.
Old 06-18-11, 07:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried that a little last night until it got too dark....will probably continue to try to salvage the bike since the phone isn't ringing off the hook with people wanting to come look at it.

Would it be normal for the narrower 700 c wheels to feel less steady on gravel? Would knobbier tires help?
Old 06-18-11, 07:57 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

How wide are the tires? What model tire? Knobs won't make much difference, but width matters. I would want some tread pattern for gravel tires, but nothing aggressive that would affect rolling on smooth pavement. I run 700c x 37mm Continental Contacts on my dirt/gravel road bike and it is plenty stable.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 06-18-11 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-18-11, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoGranny
Tried that a little last night until it got too dark....will probably continue to try to salvage the bike since the phone isn't ringing off the hook with people wanting to come look at it.

Would it be normal for the narrower 700 c wheels to feel less steady on gravel? Would knobbier tires help?
It's not so much the 700c wheels as it is the width of the tires on it. Readily available tire widths for this size wheel range from 20mm up to 37mm. In gravel you would want something, I would think, in the 30mm to 37mm range. Knobby tires are really designed to grab hold of the surface for traction. I'm not sure of the kind of gravel you'll be on, but for the bike paths around my area with gravel the knobby tires are really needed.
Old 06-18-11, 08:18 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by NOS88
Knobby tires are really designed to grab hold of the surface for traction. I'm not sure of the kind of gravel you'll be on, but for the bike paths around my area with gravel the knobby tires are really needed.
Maybe it is a regional difference, but I find knobbies make more difference in wet dirt, clay and mud where there is something there to grab. In gravel or sand I am looking more for floatation and width for stability.
Old 06-18-11, 08:35 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
It's not so much the 700c wheels as it is the width of the tires on it. Readily available tire widths for this size wheel range from 20mm up to 37mm. In gravel you would want something, I would think, in the 30mm to 37mm range. Knobby tires are really designed to grab hold of the surface for traction. I'm not sure of the kind of gravel you'll be on, but for the bike paths around my area with gravel the knobby tires are really needed.
I find that 700 x 25's work pretty well in the gravel/sand surfaced roads arounf here - not deep sand or gravel, but surface sand and gravel. I find a significant difference between 25's, 23's an 20's or 19's, with 25's being noticeably superior.

I wouldn't, however, want to do a long ride on the 25's in sand or gravel - I use them for short distances, such as a gravel trail between a break in the cement surface. For longer rides in sand/gravel, I will choose my Panaracer slicks on the mtn bike.
Old 06-18-11, 09:31 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by GoGranny
Knobby doesn't matter but wider definitely helps on gravel.
Old 06-21-11, 08:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at the markings on the wheel and on the tire, and I'm more confused than ever. The rim is marked ETRTO 622 x 19. The tire is marked 40-622 (700 x 38C - 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/2).

Does that mean the rim is actually 622 cm, not 700? And 700 cm = 275.6 inches, not 28, so what's with that?

Aside from all the theoretical calculations-- if wider is more stable on gravel, and my tires are 38 cm wide, and I feel unstable on gravel, I'm thinking that for me, this bike would probably be better suited for pavement. Might try to get it to a paved trail somewhere, but if a buyer comes along in the meantime, I'll take the cash!

Meanwhile, I put the panniers on the Boulder yesterday and took a 6 mile practice run on the C&O. No spills, even in the mud, the gravel, or on the exposed tree roots and rocks. WHEEEEEEE!!!! Got home to find Grampa back home from work. He was so envious that we did another 6 (without panniers). And no aches today! Looks like I'll finally get back to one of our favorite summer weekend pastimes from years gone by.
Old 06-21-11, 09:41 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Maybe it is a regional difference, but I find knobbies make more difference in wet dirt, clay and mud where there is something there to grab. In gravel or sand I am looking more for floatation and width for stability.
Not much actual difference. I just didn't express myself very well. You did a better job.
Old 06-21-11, 02:55 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
What is a kickstand?
Kickstand:

1) highly sophisticated training aid
2) cartoon bike shop