User Tag List

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have probably lost my mind but!!!

I have given some serious thought to trying the cycling event at the Senior Games next year. I am looking for a good heart rate monitor and a training program to prepare me for this.

Here is what we have to work with right now (some of my stats):

Age 71 in September 2011
    Weight 215 lbs Height 6ft 3in.
    Currently ride an average of 6500+ miles per year but I am on track to do at least 8000 this year.
    Quit smoking about 3 years ago
    Currently ride and older Raleigh road bike w/upgrades
    Will up grade bike for event
    Average ride speed about 13 MPH (on rides anywhere from 30 to 75 miles)
    Average speed on a recent organized ride 16.5 MPH for 40 miles ( I was cooked at the end of 40 miles) flat terrain
    I have a computer w/cadence, avg speed, time, distance and max speed

I am looking for recommendations for a HRM and a good training program to get me ready.

Have any of you ever participated in the Senior Games and how did you do?

I am cross posting this in the Clydes forum...
    Last edited by kjc9640; 06-15-11 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added info
    SloSpoke Jim

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't try it, do it. Can't help on the training but I'd suggest getting the new bike sooner rather than later. That will give you plenty of time to get the bike dialed in for fit as well as you getting adjusted to how it rides. Have a blast!

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the senior games 5K TT qualifier in 2009. There is a wide range of abilities in each age group from seasoned, accomplished USCF racers to recreational riders trying racing for the first time. I did okay but the racers who beat me in sanctioned races beat me in the senior games. There are time trials and road races. The senior games are less intimidating than a sanctioned race but the competition is excellent. If you race a time trial, it does not matter what other racers do. In your first race, you are guaranteed a personal best.

I cannot help with training. The bike will make very little difference since the routes for the games are typically on flatter terrain although they can be technical. If you race the time trial, aerobars would help. If you are not a very good bike handler with group riding skills then enter the time trial.

The only way to know whether you will enjoy racing is to enter and try it. There is no way to predict performance based upon age, weight, average speed, medical history and miles per year.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you goal is to use this event to help improve your overall fitness and or bike riding. If so, I agree with Hermes, enter the TT and use this first event as a learning experience.

There are lots of good HRMs, I use a Timex because it has a replacable battery in the chest strap. Joe Friel has several good books that will help you get benefit from your HRM and develope a training program. However many here have benefitted from a personal trainer or coach, given your age and medical history that may be a good idea as well.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it, sounds like you've a good base already.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with the majority. You won't know if you can do it unless you try. It's a great feeling if you make it, and if not, you know what to expect next for next years ride.

I use a Sigma PC15 HRM. It's not top of the line (about $80.00 USD) but it has a lot of features and the best part is that both the watch and the chest strap use the same battery and they are both user replaceable. No tools needed. I use it pretty much daily and track everything from blood pressure (before and after the ride) to heart rates, kCals, training time, distance etc. It all goes on a spread sheet and I can graph different progress stages and show them to my doctor (he's a big time cyclist).
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had been racing downhill MTB for several years on and off and not being too serious. I decided to race the masters world championships in Bromont Canada a few years ago. I trained pretty hard for a few months and ended doing pretty good. I say "go for it".
    1886 Surrey machinists Invincible, 1900 Nashua, 1937 Raleigh Golden Arrow, 1938 Raleigh Silver Record, 1951 Armstrong tourmalet, 1970 Motobecane Grand Record, 1971 Raleigh Professional, 1971 Gitane TDF, 1972 Legnano Gran Primio, 1973, Peugeot PX-10, 1975 Roberts, 1984 Battaglin Giro, 1985 Grandis Speciale, 2012 FTW

frankthewelder@comcast.net

le prix s'oublie,la qualité reste ,(michel audiard)