Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: RtR Day 5

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RtR Day 5

280 miles in the books. It was really nice to not have to scramble around packing up everything since we were doing a loop here in Steamboat.

Perfect weather today with NO wind. A lot of people took the day off and opted to not ride. Those of us that did took our time getting out. Even still I was out on the road at my regular 7:15 start time. I had a great night's sleep-the best in a few weeks. I've been waking up around 4am but today I slept until 6am.

I tried a loaner today since it was a shortish ride. I rode a Specialized Sworks Roubaix. It was pretty smooth but it felt like the bars were a lot higher than what I'm accustomed to even with the stem bolted all the way at the bottom of the steerer. I guess the head tube is just that much higher.

Today's route was only 50 miles but it had 3 steep climbs. I was trying to soft pedal today to help with recovery but I threw that out the window on the climbs.

The locals call the route the 3 Sisters but I really think they use a more demonstrative name. There were a lot of locals out riding the loop in the opposite direction. I talked to the local Bike Club leader last night and she said they had a lot of Elite and Pro riders that train out of Steamboat. I can certainly understand why with the great roads and terrain.

I really felt the miles today. There just wasn't much in the tank at all-completely the opposite from yesterday. Not sure what's going on but I can't afford to feel that puny tomorrow. It is 80 miles and we start with a long climb to Rabbit Ears Pass so I need to be fresher. I felt like I've eaten tons so not sure. However, last year I probably had 1000 more miles under me as far as training. Hopefully I can bounce back tomorrow!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a nice event. I need to put this one my list. The Roubaix has a higher head tube and, for some its too high. BikeWNC often flips his stem to angle it down. For me I have tolerance and can ride them high or low, within reason. I merely bend my elbows to get my desired position and it works fine. Did you ride the new SL3 Roubaix?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVE the second sentence. Sometimes it's not the riding, it's the other stuff that becomes the challenge!

Glad you got a chacne to ride an SWorks Roubaix. Smooth is how I often describe mine. And, yes, the headtube is pretty long; you'll never get reallu "tucked" on these bikes.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bike are on? Your Trek with the mtb RD or the Prince? Maybe I missed it but I did not see that in the early posts.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot