Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Passed a Younger Guy on A Hill Last Night

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 07:27 AM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Cycling home from Prout's Neck, Maine I was passed by a burly fellow without the usual "on your left", "nice day", etc. Noticed after he sped past me he did not keep up the same pace. Still had a bit of effort to get back to him (what is this competitive thing kicking in at my age?). A little later on what amounts to one of the toughest hills in our town I passed him with a pleasant "blue sky" remark and enjoyed the immense satisfaction of dropping someone 15-20 years younger. This made up for the four young women passing me earlier in the ride. They looked like a race team and were very fit so I did not feel too bad.
Old 06-16-11, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Somtimes hills can be a great equalizer.
Old 06-16-11, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Somtimes hills can be a great equalizer.
I'm a Clydesdale, 230 pounds when I'm lean and fit, and a lousy climber. I get passed all the time here in the Eastern Sierra by guys 20 years younger (I'm 64). The climbs are long, though, and if you keep grinding away in the granny gear, eventually you reel a lot of them in.
And by "granny gear," I mean 24t. That factory 30t small ring is a joke.
Old 06-16-11, 04:55 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seem to be almost passing everybody while climbing hills these days except for the younger roadies on group rides. I also get a lot of funny looks from people when I pass them.

I talked to a guy who was about my age (57) a few days ago who is into triathalon and the first thing he asked me when we stopped was if I was doing any racing because he was watching me do a few miles on the flats at around 22-24 mph. I was just at the end of one of my 1 hour 16+ mile loops. I don't have any intention of racing but when he mentioned that his Tri bike is a Giant Trinity TT bike, the gears in my head started turning.... maybe I should buy a second bike.. something more agressive ?

No... I'd better not. Maybe next year ?
Old 06-16-11, 05:12 PM
jwh

Bikes: Trek EX9.8, Cervelo S3, Eddy Mercyx Mourenx 69 disc, Intense Carbine,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alanknm
I seem to be almost passing everybody while climbing hills these days except for the younger roadies on group rides. I also get a lot of funny looks from people when I pass them.

I talked to a guy who was about my age (57) a few days ago who is into triathalon and the first thing he asked me when we stopped was if I was doing any racing because he was watching me do a few miles on the flats at around 22-24 mph. I was just at the end of one of my 1 hour 16+ mile loops. I don't have any intention of racing but when he mentioned that his Tri bike is a Giant Trinity TT bike, the gears in my head started turning.... maybe I should buy a second bike.. something more agressive ?

Do it now, we're not getting any younger!!
Old 06-16-11, 08:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwh
Do it now, we're not getting any younger!!
My wife likes to remind me of that all the time, except with me, it goes in one ear and goes right out the other.
Old 06-16-11, 09:01 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
I'm a Clydesdale, 230 pounds when I'm lean and fit, and a lousy climber. I get passed all the time here in the Eastern Sierra by guys 20 years younger (I'm 64). The climbs are long, though, and if you keep grinding away in the granny gear, eventually you reel a lot of them in.
And by "granny gear," I mean 24t. That factory 30t small ring is a joke.
My vintage Trek 460 has a 40/29 granny gear is like a 32yr old blonde on the tall hills.

Sculptor7, keep spinning.
Old 06-16-11, 09:07 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alanknm

Do it! TT's are a great way to jump in to racing. jwh and I do cyclo cross racing, kind of like a muddy and dirty TT, in NE Ohio and we arent alone in our age group.
Old 06-16-11, 09:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh.. I was thinking that a cyclocross bike would make a good rain bike.

I'd already spent enough on one bike + stuff this year and my wife and I bought a pair of sea kayaks + wet suits + carbon fiber paddles (she wants to do some touring around Georgian Bay) so it was bye bye to another $5+ K. At least the kayaks aren't CF otherwise we'd be spending twice that.

I'd still like to try out a TT bike one of these days.
Old 06-17-11, 07:18 AM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
This talk about a Time Trial bike reminds me of the one I saw the other day at our favorite discount store (leftover from a large sale on bike stuff they had recently). It was so light I could pick it up with two fingers and gave me the sensation I have when I examine one of my large rubber powered model airplanes--it seemed to want to fly out of my hand. Price was $700+. Even though I could never contort myself properly to use it nevertheless I definitely had the urge to possess it.
Old 06-17-11, 07:40 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I once passed 40 young people with my bike here in Costa Rica, they were riding the bus to town and the bus goes REALLY slow...

But yeah, I pass people all the time half my age.