Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member donheff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Posts
    1,247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Flight Deck computer "stuck"

    I posted this over on the electronics forum but got no responses. The 50+ers seem to know about everything (a function of maturity I suppose) so I figured I would try over here:

    I just replaced the batteries in two Flight Decks. Mine works fine and is still displaying the ride data that was on it when I pulled the old battery. But my wife's is no longer working (so she says it is now mine, and mine is hers ). When I installed the new battery, her FD appeared to go into reset - the little Km/h is flashing on the right side of the screen - but I can't get the computer to function. If I press and release the AC (all clear) button the display briefly flashes data in all the registers (so the battery is connecting fine). After about 2 seconds it goes to the Km/h screen which the manual says is the initial data entry screen. At that point I can get no response pressing the B or A buttons off the harness or the shifter buttons when in the harness. It was working fine previously.

    Anyone else have a Flight Deck? Any suggestions?
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a wireless unit ?

  3. #3
    Senior Member donheff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Posts
    1,247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanknm View Post
    Is this a wireless unit ?
    Yes, wireless 10 speed.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NH
    My Bikes
    Trek 1400, Trek 6500
    Posts
    117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a computer, so use the ultimate weapon. Remove the battery to power down and reinstall. I assume the unit was working prior to the battery replacement, so this should work. If all else fails, put it in the corner to think about what it did!

  5. #5
    Senior Member donheff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Posts
    1,247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty861 View Post
    It is a computer, so use the ultimate weapon. Remove the battery to power down and reinstall. I assume the unit was working prior to the battery replacement, so this should work. If all else fails, put it in the corner to think about what it did!
    I'm putting it in the corner. I have removed the battery to reboot a number of times. I just can't get get past the initial reset screen. Putting it in the corner now
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

  6. #6
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donheff View Post
    I'm putting it in the corner. I have removed the battery to reboot a number of times. I just can't get get past the initial reset screen. Putting it in the corner now
    Did you get the right battery? In know, dumb question, but we all know that a computers attention span is only as long as it's power cord. Check the manual for the computer and write down the battery numbers, make sure the battery you bought has one of those numbers. It's not uncommon that two batteries with similar numbers, may be nearly identical in size, but have very different power delivery characteristics.

  7. #7
    Senior Member donheff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Posts
    1,247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogster View Post
    Did you get the right battery? In know, dumb question, but we all know that a computers attention span is only as long as it's power cord. Check the manual for the computer and write down the battery numbers, make sure the battery you bought has one of those numbers. It's not uncommon that two batteries with similar numbers, may be nearly identical in size, but have very different power delivery characteristics.
    Yeah, I suspected the battery. But I changed batteries in two of them at the same time and swapped the battery over from the unit that worked and that didn't help. Unfortunately it is something with the unit itself.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    On yer left
    Posts
    1,649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you ridden it out in the rain recently? (i.e., could there be water inside it?). If not, check to see if one of the buttons is stuck.

  9. #9
    Senior Member donheff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Posts
    1,247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenji666 View Post
    Have you ridden it out in the rain recently? (i.e., could there be water inside it?). If not, check to see if one of the buttons is stuck.
    No recent rain. The unit was working when I pulled the old battery but went into this locked reset mode when I put in the new one. The buttons may be faulty but I can't see anything I can do about that and they won't work thru the harness either. I will probably stop by the LBS to see if anyone has an idea and, if not, buy a new head unit.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •