Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Flight Deck computer "stuck"

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 04:02 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts

I posted this over on the electronics forum but got no responses. The 50+ers seem to know about everything (a function of maturity I suppose) so I figured I would try over here:

I just replaced the batteries in two Flight Decks. Mine works fine and is still displaying the ride data that was on it when I pulled the old battery. But my wife's is no longer working (so she says it is now mine, and mine is hers ). When I installed the new battery, her FD appeared to go into reset - the little Km/h is flashing on the right side of the screen - but I can't get the computer to function. If I press and release the AC (all clear) button the display briefly flashes data in all the registers (so the battery is connecting fine). After about 2 seconds it goes to the Km/h screen which the manual says is the initial data entry screen. At that point I can get no response pressing the B or A buttons off the harness or the shifter buttons when in the harness. It was working fine previously.

Anyone else have a Flight Deck? Any suggestions?
Old 06-16-11, 07:11 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this a wireless unit ?
Old 06-17-11, 05:28 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Originally Posted by alanknm
Is this a wireless unit ?
Yes, wireless 10 speed.
Old 06-17-11, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Trek 1400, Trek 6500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a computer, so use the ultimate weapon. Remove the battery to power down and reinstall. I assume the unit was working prior to the battery replacement, so this should work. If all else fails, put it in the corner to think about what it did!
Old 06-17-11, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Frosty861
It is a computer, so use the ultimate weapon. Remove the battery to power down and reinstall. I assume the unit was working prior to the battery replacement, so this should work. If all else fails, put it in the corner to think about what it did!
I'm putting it in the corner. I have removed the battery to reboot a number of times. I just can't get get past the initial reset screen. Putting it in the corner now
Old 06-18-11, 06:03 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
I'm putting it in the corner. I have removed the battery to reboot a number of times. I just can't get get past the initial reset screen. Putting it in the corner now
Did you get the right battery? In know, dumb question, but we all know that a computers attention span is only as long as it's power cord. Check the manual for the computer and write down the battery numbers, make sure the battery you bought has one of those numbers. It's not uncommon that two batteries with similar numbers, may be nearly identical in size, but have very different power delivery characteristics.
Old 06-19-11, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wogster
Did you get the right battery? In know, dumb question, but we all know that a computers attention span is only as long as it's power cord. Check the manual for the computer and write down the battery numbers, make sure the battery you bought has one of those numbers. It's not uncommon that two batteries with similar numbers, may be nearly identical in size, but have very different power delivery characteristics.
Yeah, I suspected the battery. But I changed batteries in two of them at the same time and swapped the battery over from the unit that worked and that didn't help. Unfortunately it is something with the unit itself.
Old 06-19-11, 06:12 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you ridden it out in the rain recently? (i.e., could there be water inside it?). If not, check to see if one of the buttons is stuck.
Old 06-19-11, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by kenji666
Have you ridden it out in the rain recently? (i.e., could there be water inside it?). If not, check to see if one of the buttons is stuck.
No recent rain. The unit was working when I pulled the old battery but went into this locked reset mode when I put in the new one. The buttons may be faulty but I can't see anything I can do about that and they won't work thru the harness either. I will probably stop by the LBS to see if anyone has an idea and, if not, buy a new head unit.