Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the best 12.7 ever?

Today was the day. I've moved well below broad, debilitating pain into local, constat discomfort and sometimes -sometimes- I almost feel normal again. It's hard to believe it's been 7 weeks since my slip and fall. A lot of water's gone under the bridge. I've been on the bike 3 times (maybe 4. I forget) in the past 7 weeks and not all in the past 3 (two days ago doesn't count). It was such a beautiful morning and I survived a potentially difficult night last night so, as I said at the top, today was it... I'm going out. I should say "did"... for about an hour and 12.7 miles. I set out to do 10.

There were twinges now and again but the worst part right now is my tailbone and very lower back, neither of which make contact with my Brooks (if ever there was a time for a Brooks, this was it) and it was getting hard on the last leg back. I came up the less difficult east rise to my house -I'll just let the west side climb be for now- and I was *struggling*. But I made it and right I feel good right now. Pretty dang good. In fact, I haven't felt this good since that first around the block on my new bike 4 years ago

It's nice to be back.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SKT,

That's great! Just keep plugging. I am glad the ride made you feel so good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff, SKT.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smiles to you - your recovery should move quickly now.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all! And today is the day after... a little stiff in the legs... a couple of aches in the back but I don't think they have anything to do with the injury, I just haven't been stretched out in a while. I mean, heck, I even rode in the drops yesterday, not something I do much of. Today is an off day for sure (we'll be taking the dog out later) but I'm already looking to tomorrow and my next ride. I have a followup ortho visit on Thursday; he's going to see a much different guy this time around. Yes, yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now it's the day after the day after. Tacked on another 11.5 today.
    This will conclude my posting on this, now, no-event.
    Thanks to the four of you for your support.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not a No-Event. Coming back after injury is great. Most us would not be doing 12.7 miles and that hill up to your house so it looks like you are back.

Just don't overdo it and remember that first ride of yours. If you have to phone for the sag or walk a hill it doesn't matter. There's always next week when it will be easier- and it will be.

Well done.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a non-event in that I'm riding again and seeing steady improvements.
    It's still funny how "short ride" is so relative. I say that to people and they ask "Oh? How far?" When I say "12 miles.. 15 miles.." they are just aghast.
    Sorry, folks, but 12 miles ain't diddly in my book. Has the average populace really gotten that lame? Sheesh

As for that hill of mine, I'm not climbing the beast on the west side. No, I've been taking the longer, gentler route. And, yes, easy does it, for sure but I can already feel my pace quickening. Every time I come home and I feel nothing hurting it just makes me want to go a little harder the next time. A LITTLE harder.

Thanks for weighing in, your replies are always appreciated

My Bikes
    Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    Has the average populace really gotten that lame? Sheesh
    Can't speak for the 'average' population, but before I had my little 'wake-up' call, I know I was that lame and then some. But you're right, now that I've re-joined the ranks of the reasonably fit, I'm more out of place in common company than when I was an obese, smoking, hypertensive wreck of an MI waiting to happen.

And you, sir, are to be congratulated...

-Bert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank YOU, sir and you are as well.

You're kind of new here so allow me to fill in some back story...

Back in '85, I was a pretty avid cyclist of some years and I put in some tough miles at home. The rides might have been short but I went looking for hills to climb... the steeper the better. John Marino was my inspiration.

And then... I just quit. I began a 25 year as a couch potato and I was GOOD at it, too. Put on a bunch weight... I topped out at 225lbs on a 5'10" frame and I stone guaranty that none of it was muscle.

And then my wife saved my life and bought me a bike.

My first day with it, I brought it home and took it once around the block. Now, granted my block is not trivial... I live on a hill. The west way up is 700-800 feet long at a very steady 14%. The east route takes you up a 1/3 mile false flat that runs 2-3% and the a short kick at the end of 4-5%, then it's up a 900' climb at an average of 7% (max 9%). By the time I got to the end of that false flat, I was gassed... I had to stop three times in 900' to make it back home. I knew then I would never stop riding again if I had any say in the matter.

So, yeah, I've been there, too but this is where I am today.

I got "knocked off" the bike for 2 months, pretty much and I am just foaming at the mouth right now.
    Being on that bike now, feels like that first time... It's nice to relive that thril.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out here on the left coast, it's Wednesday night. Tomorrow is Thursday. Tomorrow I get my back reevaluated.
    I am not without some remaining issues (but not on the bike. not yet, anyway, but I haven't been pushing)
    I hope to find what the cause (and, better, treatment) is.
    I also hope to confirm that, overall, I am in vastly better shape than I was 3 weeks ago. To confirm what I feel.
    I hope to find that riding is good and I should continue.
    And then, I will

My Bikes
    Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank YOU, sir and you are as well.

You're kind of new here so allow me to fill in some back story...

Back in '85, I was a pretty avid cyclist of some years and I put in some tough miles at home. The rides might have been short but I went looking for hills to climb... the steeper the better. John Marino was my inspiration.

And then... I just quit. I began a 25 year as a couch potato and I was GOOD at it, too. Put on a bunch weight... I topped out at 225lbs on a 5'10" frame and I stone guaranty that none of it was muscle.

And then my wife saved my life and bought me a bike.

My first day with it, I brought it home and took it once around the block. Now, granted my block is not trivial... I live on a hill. The west way up is 700-800 feet long at a very steady 14%. The east route takes you up a 1/3 mile false flat that runs 2-3% and the a short kick at the end of 4-5%, then it's up a 900' climb at an average of 7% (max 9%). By the time I got to the end of that false flat, I was gassed... I had to stop three times in 900' to make it back home. I knew then I would never stop riding again if I had any say in the matter.

So, yeah, I've been there, too but this is where I am today.

I got "knocked off" the bike for 2 months, pretty much and I am just foaming at the mouth right now.
    Being on that bike now, feels like that first time... It's nice to relive that thril.
    Thanks for sharing. There are some very striking similarities in our stories, so I suppose I might fill you in on some of the details of mine.

Back in '78, I had the motorcycle crash that cured me of motorcyles. No need for details other than saying my Bell Star 120 hemet was turned into mush and I spent the better part of two months in the hospital, half of that in ICU. Once released, I did not rehab well. Developed a fondness for pain killers, and a host of other bad habits that ran my weight up to 245+ and otherwise ravaged my health. This went on for about a year and a half, when like you, my wife bought me a bicycle for my birthday, say, "Maybe this'll get you out of the house without giving you too big an opportunity to hurt yourself." Very prophetic words. The first time I took that bike for what could be called a real ride, and as I recall it was a lot less than 12.7 miles, it was an epiphany for me. I don't know what that experience triggered or why, but it was profound enough that when I got home, I just sat on the bike and cried for joy. Seriously. Over the next couple years, I completely re-invented myself. Lifestyle, habits, diet, lots and lots of riding, and educating myself about every aspect of my health I could. I went from the absolute fattest guy in the Chico Velo to one of it's faster non-racing members in that time, and life was indeed good.

Then I lost my job, a job I loved and was good at, and ended up having to move to one of the most cycling-unfriendly towns in the whole east S.F. Bay area to find employment of any kind. About the same time, my marriage went through a very rough patch that came this close to a divorce. These aren't reasons, or even excuses, but during that period I completely lost the lifestyle, went back to smoking and drinking, and abusing my body with a diet ful of all the wrong stuff. Did that for 20 something years, and last summer, it all came to roost. Chest pain radiating down my left arm like lightening, a frantic trip to the ER, and an even faster trip to a cardiac cath lab where I got a front row seat to watch as my right MAIN coronary artery completely obstructed. Should have killed me right then and there or at least rendered me a total cardiac cripple. Instead, a couple stents latter and I was good. Amazingly so, as it turned out. My cardiac enzymes barely showed a blip and repeated echocardiograms showed virtually normal ventricular function. My cardiologist was in such disbelief, he had most of my tests repeated and put me through a series of stress tests like I'd never heard of. And they all came back essentially normal. To this day, he claims I'm the only reason he thinks 'miracles' are possible. That was the wake up call I mentioned.

Having gone through this once before up in Chico, I pretty much knew what I had to do, and with my Doc's supervision, I've been at it since last June. It's just been since last March that I've gotten enough conditioning back to do some serious training, gradually increasing the length and intensity of my rides. Although the results are taking longer than they did 25 years ago, they are coming. I'm now strong enough to ride with a group of guys a bit younger and better conditioned than myself without embarrassing myself too badly. And yes, it does feel like the first time all over again. It is a thrill, indeed, one that I plan to savor as long as I live.

-Bert

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . . . When I say "12 miles.. 15 miles.." they are just aghast.
    Sorry, folks, but 12 miles ain't diddly in my book. Has the average populace really gotten that lame? . . .
    Yes, that lame, but for some it's just mental. Some new riders aren't good for more than a few normal blocks. Others who would be among the agast easily ride fifteen or twenty miles just so you don't mention distance in advance.

Even without your residual cycling fitness you have the advantage of knowing you can go that far on a quarter of a tank.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you're back out there, attacking and going for it in your unique style.

Having been taken out by injury I get your frustration, gaining back of fitness lost, the needing to ease back into riding a la pre-injury.

That any of us ride at all is to be celebrated. We know the stats, we live next to/work with/Facebook with those our age who do nothing. That we do what we do, and are even able to do what we do, is sometimes breathtaking and always celebration-worthy.

I know you take nothing for granted and I appreciate that you share your frequent amazement of your abilities. It keeps life fresh for some of us who behave/believe likewise.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope you have a good outcome tomorrow.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I inspire *you* Red? Wow. And here I've always looked at you as a good role model... to see what goals I can set for myself.
    I thank you, as always, for your kind words and consideration.

Bert.... man, you are a fighter and show what our spirit and will can overcome if we just try. So many don't anymore.

I was at practice last night and one of my bandmates asked me if I felt like I've lost strength.
    And it's odd because I noticed it just the other day.
    I've lost endurance before during breaks *cough*xmas*cough*anniversary* but my legs always came back fresh and snappy.
    I am finding that if you only ride 3 times in 2 or 3 months, you do lose strength.
    A couple of weeks ago I noticed that I was losing weight even thought I wasn't eating any less. Uh-oh.
    I am feeling the ramifications of that now.
    I did 45 miles last week in 4 rides.
    The first couple, my quads were just tired. The last time out, I felt burning in my quads.
    So, I do have some work ahead of me.

Bert mentioned crying tears of joy after that first ride. I guess there is something to that.
    When I opened up the envelope with the gift certificate in it -my 53rd birthday, I think it was- it had to sink in for a few seconds. I realized how much my wife cared and how much my life was about to change. My 20 years of darkness were over.
    I cried too.
    Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 06-30-11 at 01:01 AM.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two more stories similar to mine. My wife surprised me on my 63rd birthday with one of those addiction machines called a bicycle after my doctor said that I was going to have to exercise or get on a bunch of medication to keep me from having more medical issues than what I had. I've never seen those new meds and three bikes later, I haven't stopped pedaling. I've even been taken off my blood pressure medicine and I'm down to just one, for my leukemia.
    Last edited by John_V; 06-30-11 at 06:42 AM.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a non-event in that I'm riding again and seeing steady improvements.
    It's still funny how "short ride" is so relative. I say that to people and they ask "Oh? How far?" When I say "12 miles.. 15 miles.." they are just aghast.
    Sorry, folks, but 12 miles ain't diddly in my book. Has the average populace really gotten that lame? Sheesh

As for that hill of mine, I'm not climbing the beast on the west side. No, I've been taking the longer, gentler route. And, yes, easy does it, for sure but I can already feel my pace quickening. Every time I come home and I feel nothing hurting it just makes me want to go a little harder the next time. A LITTLE harder.

Thanks for weighing in, your replies are always appreciated
    There are a couple of things at work, yeah a lot of people are THAT lame, they need to go around the block for a pack of coffin nails or a 6 pack of beer and they take the car.

In North America is the bicycle is still thought of as a toy that is operated by children, as they have the idea of when you grow up you give your toy to your younger brother and buy a car. They think of people who don't drive as adults are stupid, poor or victims of the police state(DUI). Now some people return to cycling as adults, but it takes time to build up distance, but yeah, I get steep hills I don't like either, need a bailout gear on my road bike...