Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-11, 05:47 AM   #1
NOS88

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking podium spot for Levi

After watching the final time trial for the Tour de Suisse, I'm thinking Levi might get a podium spot in this year's TdF. It looks like he's strong enough and his Radio Shack team seems to have the talent to make it happen.
Old 06-20-11, 06:13 AM   #2
AlphaRed

Bikes: Motobecane Gran Record, Motobecane touring, Cannondale CAAD4 r800, Fuji Finest
Go Levi!
Go team Radio Shack!
AlphaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 06:35 AM   #3
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
It's certainly possible for Levi to make the podium. His weakness is his inability to match accelerations on the climbs and that alone will keep him off the top step. But, his team and his TT strength will keep him close. I think we're starting to see a changing of the guard in cycling. There are several younger riders ready to make the leap up the GC and riders like Levi aren't getting any younger.
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 06:42 AM   #4
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
It's certainly possible for Levi to make the podium. His weakness is his inability to match accelerations on the climbs and that alone will keep him off the top step. But, his team and his TT strength will keep him close. I think we're starting to see a changing of the guard in cycling. There are several younger riders ready to make the leap up the GC and riders like Levi aren't getting any younger.
Yeah, this may be his last shot at a second podium spot in the TdF. I think it was 2008 when he was third.
Old 06-20-11, 07:15 AM   #5
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
That certainly was an exciting finish to an entertaining TDS. Felt bad for Cunego, though.

I wonder how Radio Shack will handle the situation with Chris Horner and Levi both coming into the tour with strong seasons and both looking like potential podium contenders. They have not handled that kind of thing well in the recent past.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 07:30 AM   #6
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
That certainly was an exciting finish to an entertaining TDS. Felt bad for Cunego, though.

I wonder how Radio Shack will handle the situation with Chris Horner and Levi both coming into the tour with strong seasons and both looking like potential podium contenders. They have not handled that kind of thing well in the recent past.
That's a good point. I think that the TDS was a much tougher race the the TOC, and because Bruyneel agreed to let Horner train at home we don't know how he would have done. I suspect Bruyneel's thinking is to let them sort it out on the road during the race. And, you are correct, they've not handled this stuff real well.
Old 06-20-11, 07:48 AM   #7
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
Horner knows his job will be to support the leader of the team. I'd be more worried about Kloden than Horner. While Horner is capable of a top ten finish in the Tour, I doubt he has podium potential. Besides, he is almost 40yo.
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 08:22 AM   #8
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Yeah, Levi is a spring chicken at 38.
Old 06-20-11, 03:27 PM   #9
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Both Levi and Chris will be eligible to post here in 2023 and we'll have a thread entitled something along the lines of "Inside the Peloton" as they duke it out with with the young twenty five year old wannabees. I always root for old guys. What's wrong with you people.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 06:53 PM   #10
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Heck, I'm definitely rooting for both of them. George and Jens as well. But rooting and predicting are two very different things.
Old 06-20-11, 07:20 PM   #11
soma5
Hanging On

Bikes:
Let me be the first here to say that I'd like to see Cadel Evans on the podium this year. Shoot, I'd like to see him win it. I don't care for Contador or either of the Schlecks.
soma5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 05:16 AM   #12
Looigi

Bikes:
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm rootin' for two the baldies. But being a BMC rider myself, I'm liking Cadel too.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 08:53 AM   #13
badger1

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Another Cuddles supporter here; sentimental, I know, but I really would like to see him place well or even take the race (unlikely, but you never know). I also think Wiggins may well be back in the mix this year ... beginning to show the form he had two years ago, and has a strong team. I don't care much for either Contador or the Schlecks.
badger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11, 06:13 PM   #14
buelito
train safe

Bikes:
i think it is very unlikely for Radio Shack to place in the top 5... THere is just too much competition-- there are about 6-7 guys who should finish ahead of Levi, Andreas and Horner.

train safe-
buelito is offline   Reply With Quote