Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

BTC Day 5

Old 06-22-11, 06:59 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
BTC Day 5

Great day today! We did 90 miles from Steamboat Springs to Gypsum in Sunny blue skies. Were supposed to ride to Glenwood Springs but the historic high water levels have washed out parts of the Glenwood Canyon bike trail. So we left our bikes at Gypsum High School and they bused us to Glenwood Springs.

There were miles of 1-2 percent grades, long fast descents and we finished with a slight downhill of 15 miles. We also had a steady 6-7 percent climb of 4 miles at the 60 mile mark. I lead another fella up that one and talking with him helped the time pass quickly. He is from Tucson, Az and I'm familiar enough with the city to share some things in common.

I realized somewhere along the way it was pretty much the same road we did last week from Edwards to Steamboat but were going in the opposite direction. Remember me talking about the climb that never ended last week? I got to ride down it today!

While we were doing the long gradual climb we had a nice headwind. One of these days we've got to get a tailwind.

The best part of today was a Coca Cola. I stopped at a convenience store about 2 hrs into the ride and bought one. I drank most of it at the store and put the rest in one of my bottles. It gave me a real good burst of energy that lasted the rest of the ride.

I was worried about the lack of energy during yesterday's ride and never really recovered last night. The Coke did the trick! In fact I'm going to carry one in my jersey pocket the last couple days.

Some terrific vistas today and I took a number of pictures easing down the hills at 40 mph. I'll be curious to see how they turn out.

Tomorrow is an off day. I gave myself a gift and have a hotel room for my brother and me for 2 nights. It's good timing as it's pretty hot here-too hot for a tent.

We plan to play 9 holes of golf in the morning and then take the tram to the Cavern after lunch. My sleeping mattress flatted last night so I replaced it this evening.

I think I'm now over 700 miles with 2 days of riding to go!
Old 06-22-11, 08:14 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Great day today! We did 90 miles from Steamboat Springs to Gypsum in Sunny blue skies. Were supposed to ride to Glenwood Springs but the historic high water levels have washed out parts of the Glenwood Canyon bike trail. So we left our bikes at Gypsum High School and they bused us to Glenwood Springs.

There were miles of 1-2 percent grades, long fast descents and we finished with a slight downhill of 15 miles. We also had a steady 6-7 percent climb of 4 miles at the 60 mile mark. I lead another fella up that one and talking with him helped the time pass quickly. He is from Tucson, Az and I'm familiar enough with the city to share some things in common.

I realized somewhere along the way it was pretty much the same road we did last week from Edwards to Steamboat but were going in the opposite direction. Remember me talking about the climb that never ended last week? I got to ride down it today!

While we were doing the long gradual climb we had a nice headwind. One of these days we've got to get a tailwind.

The best part of today was a Coca Cola. I stopped at a convenience store about 2 hrs into the ride and bought one. I drank most of it at the store and put the rest in one of my bottles. It gave me a real good burst of energy that lasted the rest of the ride.

I was worried about the lack of energy during yesterday's ride and never really recovered last night. The Coke did the trick! In fact I'm going to carry one in my jersey pocket the last couple days.

Some terrific vistas today and I took a number of pictures easing down the hills at 40 mph. I'll be curious to see how they turn out.

Tomorrow is an off day. I gave myself a gift and have a hotel room for my brother and me for 2 nights. It's good timing as it's pretty hot here-too hot for a tent.

We plan to play 9 holes of golf in the morning and then take the tram to the Cavern after lunch. My sleeping mattress flatted last night so I replaced it this evening.

I think I'm now over 700 miles with 2 days of riding to go!
A tailwind would be nice, but in the Colorado rockies it's never a sure bet.

Enjoy Glenwood Springs, the Vapor caves next to the hot springs pool is very nice, good for sore legs. Enjoy!
Old 06-22-11, 08:15 PM
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what happened on day 4 u went frm day 3 to 5 at our age does any one really knwo what time it is
Old 06-22-11, 09:33 PM
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
You've been riding through the part of Colorado I call home. Enjoy. Do that swing while you're up above Glenwood. It's a kick, especially with the drop, like no other drop from a ride like that.

On Friday, you'll be rolling right by. If the timing is right I might step out with a camera to get a few shots.
Old 06-22-11, 09:53 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by colorado dale
what happened on day 4 u went frm day 3 to 5 at our age does any one really knwo what time it is
My only excuse is 700 miles plus the 5 button is right beside the 4 button on my Blackberry! Should I call the next ride report Day 5 or 6 since we have an off day???
Old 06-24-11, 04:51 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
"I lead another fella up that one and talking with him helped the time pass quickly."

When I did BtC in '99 we went over Slumgullion Pass. I recall following a group, including some front rangers, up the switch backs to 11,000, with the "locals" having a merry old conversation. I got a chuckle out of everyone when I kindly asked them to stop chatting, as nobody that lived below 5,000ft. could carry on a conversation at that altitude !.

I miss Colorado terribly, but am enjoying the blog.

Also thinking that if they had scheduled this for later in July (like they used to), the weather might be rain, not snow and maybe a bit easier logistically to deal with.

SB