68 76.40%
  • I don't night ride.

21 23.60%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't ride at night. I've considered it recently, thinking the park without traffic wouldn't be too bad, but I can't bring myself to do it. I even considered riding for an extra hour or so while the park was still closed the other day to add more miles to my already long 70 mile ride, but I went home instead.

Some call it God's country. I call it Acton, Maine
    My Bikes
    Too Many - 7 or 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suntreader
    What is ice?
    In your parts I guess you use it to keep the drinks to a tolerable temperature for drinking purposes. Up here, we ride on it, walk on it, fish on it, depend on it, and even bet on it.
    Keep it 'tween the ditches

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone

My Bikes
    lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have just started back riding 70% at night I work until 6:00 so its dark when I leave work after I eat supper I go for a ride but I ride a bmx so its mostly around around town and parking lots all is well lighted

My Bikes
    2004 Giant OCR1, 2002 Fuji Odessa MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute to work in West LA Cali - a 30 minute ride. I return home in the dark at 10 PM. To stay alive, I have to assume most drivers are trying to kill me (because they are).

For safety:
    I wear a bright yellow jersey.
    I use a helmet.
    I have blinky lights front, back, and sides.
    I have reflective tape on my panniers.
    I have a rear view mirror on my helmet.
    I am vigilant.

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >What is ice?

It's what you put in your sweet tea.
    Wag more, bark less

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the brightest most powerful lights you can afford. Front and rear. Watch out for joggers and cyclists with no lights. Use a rear view mirror.

Try a Niterider Blowtorch and a Cat Eye TL LD-1000

If you have the cash get a "Lupine Edison 10"

http://www.lupine.de/en/produkte/produkte.php

scroll down to Edison 10 and click on the picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all because now I am going to add a nice light set to my Christmas list and give sunset to dark riding a chance. I already have a very light weight reflective safety vest I carry with my spare tube.

My Bikes
    Bike 1 - Bianchi 928, Easton carbon stem, bar & seat post, Ultegra 11/23 cassette. Bike 2 - 03 Lemond Buenos Aries. FSA compact crank, Sella Italia FSK sadle and Ultegra 12/27 cassette
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My usual daily ride is about 12-15 miles in the wee hours of the morning. I usually get out aroun 5:15, so in the summer I get to watch the sunrise and feel the day warming up. This time of year I don't get out for a morning ride as often (I hate the cold!! & there are too many deer running about in my area). As others have mentiond it is essential to have good lighting! I use a 10 watt Nite Rider Trail Rat II on my bike and a 15 watt Nite Rider Digital Evolution on my helmit. That way I can scan the road (and trees for deer) to make usre I avoid any road hazards. It also makes me VERY noticable to oncoming traffic. I also use a two light blinker for the back of the bike and one for my helmit. I look kind of odd with all the lights, but at least I am visibal!!

I only wish my work schedule allowed me to ride longer and later in the morning (especially this time of year).

Bill
    06 Bianchi 928 Full Carbon, Ultegra 10 speed with Ksyrium SSL rims, FSA SLK compact crank & Easton carbon bar, stem and seat post.
    Sella Italia SLK Saddle and DA 11-23 & Look S396.
    03 Lemong Buenos Aires
    Sella Italia SLK Saddle
    Rolf Vector Comp Wheels with DA 11-23.
    Look 5.1

RIDE HARD! LIVESTRONG! and by all means WEAR YELLOW and support the LAF!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy night riding yes. I bought a Son hub and use a Lumotec lamp on the front and a LED rear light. Road signs start to reflect at about 200 yards and cars dip for me..LOL
    And yes riding through woods, albiet on road is very interesting at night. I throughly enjoy my night time adventures.
    Plus as it gets dark with me about half past three in the afternoon then I pretty much have to "night" ride or ride in the dark to get home on a decent length of ride.

My Bikes
    walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute, in the dark in the AM and sometimes in the dark at nite, too. Headlamp, blinkie taillamp, lots of reflective clothing, and a WHITE helmet... reflective and yellow help in the daylight and headlight reflections, lights help in dark, but that white helps sometimes when the others are not enough. I figure I have to be seen daylight, dusk and dark.
    And I am sure there are other choices I haven't thought of, yet...

Some call it God's country. I call it Acton, Maine
    My Bikes
    Too Many - 7 or 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wlevey
    This time of year I don't get out for a morning ride as often (I hate the cold!! & there are too many deer running about in my area). As others have mentiond it is essential to have good lighting!
    Bill
    Just curious, but why would deer keep you from riding? Most of the deer I remember from my many years in Maryland weren't that vicious.
    Keep it 'tween the ditches

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone

My Bikes
    Bike 1 - Bianchi 928, Easton carbon stem, bar & seat post, Ultegra 11/23 cassette. Bike 2 - 03 Lemond Buenos Aries. FSA compact crank, Sella Italia FSK sadle and Ultegra 12/27 cassette
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother having been assaulted by two deer I tend to be carful. You should see what they did to his car!!

Myself, I have had them run right in front of me (while on my bike doing about 20 mph!!). THAT is a scarry situation!! I have also come around a bend to find several of them standing there in the middle of the road looking at me. I guess that is where the "deer in the headlights look" expression comes from. They do move, but usually not until I have come almost to a complete stop.

THAT is why deer are an issue riding!!
    06 Bianchi 928 Full Carbon, Ultegra 10 speed with Ksyrium SSL rims, FSA SLK compact crank & Easton carbon bar, stem and seat post.
    Sella Italia SLK Saddle and DA 11-23 & Look S396.
    03 Lemong Buenos Aires
    Sella Italia SLK Saddle
    Rolf Vector Comp Wheels with DA 11-23.
    Look 5.1

RIDE HARD! LIVESTRONG! and by all means WEAR YELLOW and support the LAF!!

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deer don't respond to motion well. Where is the yelling?

You need to:
    1. hit your zsounds air horn
    2. flashing you lights on/off or bright/dim

then they will move. You could also mount a deer whistle to your front fort, but may not be going fast enough for it to work. I don't know what speed it needs to work. It's a whistle designed for a car.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Now with racer-boy font! Moonshot's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm scared to ride at night, too. A few friends invited me to ride with them last night on a lightly travelled public road that loops around a county campground. There's not many campers by the way.

It was great! I taped a flashlight to my bike, but I should probably get something better. I felt more comfortable riding in the group. There were four of us all with headlights and taillights.

We all were riding fixed gears and two of the four were 50 plus.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too, have noticed it's the sound, not the light that moves animals. One night I had a raccoon, a coyote, and a deer all cross in front of me at different times on a quiet road. Not one of them responded in any way to the light at all. I was pedaling and on a quiet road bike. I have a very powerful bike light. As soon as I spoke up they jumped out of the way instantly. It was quiet and I did not even have to yell, I just said "HI". I think the human voice may even be more effective than a horn, because they know it is a potential danger instead of just a loud noise.?

chicharron
    I work in the evening shift, 3-11 shift, and also somtimes run errrands at night. I always have enjoyed riding at night. My friends tell me that I should use a light on my bike. I know that I should, but havn't yet. Maybe I should.

My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An advantage of riding at night - you can see the light from car headlights as they approach an intersection long before the car comes into view.

chicharron
    But sometimes they cannot see you.

My Bikes
    walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And sometimes they do not have their lights on. doesn't happen often, but be wary, since if you do not see a darkened car, you lose...
    And I am sure there are other choices I haven't thought of, yet...

My Bikes
    Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute at night, 5:30am, every morning all year. In November it gets dark for the evening commute if clouds are present. By December it is dark. I have a reflective vest, flashing rear light on rack and one on helmet, 2 headlights one a light n motion hid and one a nite rider digital evolution. Get a rear view mirror for your helmet, glasses or bars and use it.

When I started commuting in í99 I would see 5-8 cars in 5 miles. Now it is more like 30+ cars per mile.

I am going to try some of the lighting suggestions on the forum. You cannot have too much light. I wish I could have a signal set and a very loud horn. I may try to cobble this up with the help of the forum.

Ride where you can be seen. Do not dodge in and out of parked cars. Know what is around you. Donít run down cracks. Donít ride over the edge of or over manhole or gas covers. Donít ride over anything in the road. That dark spot ahead may be a broken brown bottle. Two flats 2 miles from home is no treat. A wet stick the size of a pencil at a 45 degree to your travel could put you on the ground before you can react.

To stay healthy you may have to be a more aggressive rider than you ever imagined. The stick, the manhole cover and the brown bottle are personal experiences. I was within feet of the crack crash. Iíve done it for 6 years and hope to do it for many more.
    Phil Lux

chicharron
    All very good advice. Ditto. Also, may I add, do not respond or react to harrasment for comments from motorist. But be aware, and if anyone in a car appear threatening, get your cell phone ready or go somewhere where there are a lot of people.

chicharron
    Don't get pulled into a road rage situation. You can never tell about people on the street, how they might act or if they are armed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Help with good ideas.

I am looking for a process that I can buy a light from Pep Boys (e.g. any auto supplier) and hook up a six volt motorcycle battery.

Intent is to get great illumination for at least four hours preferably 12 before having to recharge the battery.

Battery would fit in panniers or trailer with extended wire to light.

Thank you,

Catrike Road #116

By-Tor...or the Snow Dog? hi565's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I more of ride at 530 in the morning, but at that time it aint light. ( i am also 14 can you believe that i still think thats crazy) I do it 2-3 time s a week
    ----------------------------------------------------------

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher, Trek, Klein
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure why I'm writing about going out for a night ride tonight, as I've done it a number of times as part of my commute. Tonight was different though, I'm on vacation for the xmas holiday, got caught up in the shopping/traffic and arrived home wishing I'd gone out for my country ride earlier in the day. Then I caught myself, wait, I have all the lights I need, whats stopping me? So, I went out on my regular weekend daylight route and it was great. As I mentioned, the route is mostly country roads, and I was pleasantly surprised at the space given me on the road. There's one home with 2 dogs on my route that when I first started riding would bark at me. Then I took some dog biscuits with me, and every weekend as I approach give a whistle and they are glad to see me. Its often tough to know where they are because it is a wooded area (hence the whistle), but tonight I saw the light reflection in their eyes and they enjoyed their treats. Saw other critters eyes too, and trying not to think about "Night of the Living Dead" stuff. Weird thing too is that hills seem to be over before you know it.
    Lastly, this being the holiday season, I saw some spectacular xmas light displays that I would not have seen otherwise.
    born and raised cheesehead! Go Pack Go!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast