• I don't night ride.

21 23.60%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You night ride ?

Since the time change, I've starting to ride at night.
    Any of you "night ride" ? Any suggestions or things to watch out for ?
    Safe cycling.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeyGuy
    Safe cycling.

I road offroad, and for that you need some pretty good & expensive searchlights. For that reason I don't nighr ride.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did for a bit, I have a whole set of batteries and lamps sitting in the garage.

But, I discovered that around here, early dark evenings coincide with very cold evenings, and, to be honest, I just don't enjoy freezing in the dark! Especially now that I can ride in the daytime.

So, I guess the answer is "not now."
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safe cycling.
    First thing I'd do is get a safety vest that has lots of
    reflective stripes to light ME up. Then I'd make darn sure
    that my bike is lit up like a chrismas tree.

The reason for all this caution is that motorist DO NOT
    expect to see nor encounter Bicycles at night!!! So they
    will be slow to react (if at all) when they come up on you
    at night.

Sorry but to me night riding is both dumb and unsafe. Not an
    activity for the sane.

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with a group on Weds evenings that starts out in the light, but spends the last hour riding in the dark. We all have niteriders or similar for headlights, and most use multiple rear lighting. (Helmet light, barend lights and seatpost tail lights)
    I respectfully differ with Tightwad regarding the safety and lack of mental acuity findings. I've discovered that for the most part the auto traffic gives us a much wider berth than during daylight hours. Cars no longer turn in front of us, and while overtaking us move way over into the left lane. My night riding has been measurably safer than daylight riding. Some of this may be attributed to riding in groups of 3 to 8 riders. That's a lot of lights flashing and dashing about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but to me night riding is both dumb and unsafe. Not an
    activity for the sane.
    I did my night riding on the local trail system. I guess the biggest danger was running into a deer, which I almost did one night.

I really enjoyed the night riding - it is an entirely different world. I used a 10 watt light and a 5 watt together, and it made things quite bright.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Dahon Helios SL, 1975 Stephen Rogers Custom, 05 Catrike Speed....(in the past) a tandem & a Vacuum Velocipede
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride to work at 5 am, using a light & motion li-ion headlight & led flashing taillight. Very peaceful. Almost no traffic.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Treviso, Rocky Mountain Oxygen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I night ride all the time.
    I've got the Starfire Dual Beams from Jet Lites. They really light up the mountain. I step out of my office job and immediately begin a 400 meter climb into a pitch black forest where my lights reflect off all the little eyeballs ogling me from the bushes. Spooky at times, but a great way to commute!

My Bikes
    07 Sun EZ-Rider, 04 Fuji Royale, 97 Giant ATX890, 89 Burley Duet, 86 Trek 560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute before sunrise... Soon, after sunset as well. I believe it is safer riding at night when properly lit with headlamp and blinkies than during day. The worst time is twilight, when your lights are not effective but it isn't bright enough for you to be seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Night riding is awesome. You see things at night on the trails that look spooky, real spooky! I find there is an adrenaline rush as well as there is the natural anticipation that something is going to rush you and hack you to pieces - in other words, my imagination is more vivid and error prone on the trail at night. That's why you should ride with a buddy for (a) courage, and (b) in case of injury. In the south east of England, there are many sickos out there who come alive after dark. The movie Night of the living dead comes to mind!
    If your bollocks ain't sore, yer ain't on yer boike!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been commuting home from work...about a 15 minute ride partly on road, partly through a park by a river on a multi-use path...with one of the new Cateye EL-500 headlights and a blinkie in the rear. The headlight points about 15' or 20' ahead to find the potholes. I've thought about adding a second headlight pointed straight out and perhaps flashing, because there are sometimes people walking or jogging on the path.

Why is it that the walkers/jogger always go out in black clothing at night, no lights at all, and then headphones so they can't hear my bell once I do spot them? That's my greatest worry...hitting a walker or jogger in the dark who doesn't appear in my light until it's nearly too late.

Dan

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rarely go out for an actual night ride..Often my work commute coincides with the approaching dark..Maybe 5 times a year, I might go out for an a recreational nite ride. That excludes night rides about town for errands...
    SOrt of agree with Denver..Why go out when it is chilly when some of us live for the sun

My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love riding at night.
    I usually ride the Bikeway in Manhattan which passes under three bridges, past the Fulton Fish Market, the Seaport, several ferries, and through parks. It's really quite beatutiful seeing the lights on the river. The path is a bit rough and dark in spots so I just slow down.

Couple of nights ago I ride over the Queensborough BrRidge. One of the advantages bikes have over cars is you really have the opportunity to stop and take in the view.

Stacy

My Bikes
    Pinarello Treviso, Rocky Mountain Oxygen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tornadobass

Why is it that the walkers/jogger always go out in black clothing at night, no lights at all, and then headphones so they can't hear my bell once I do spot them? That's my greatest worry...hitting a walker or jogger in the dark who doesn't appear in my light until it's nearly too late.
    Dan
    You are so right!
    Joggers & nordic walkers wearing black clothing and no reflectors. I don't think they know how invisible they really are.

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stacy..Seems to drive round trip into NYC over a triborough bridge is like $5-6 .? What is it for a bike?
    Had that pleasure when I went over 17 Mile (scenic)Drive in Monterey, Calif..Cars like $10...Bikes no charge...Seeing the famous 17 Mile drive..Would not do that at night, no matter how well you like night rides...Unless you saw the Moon illuminating the Pacific.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Hoser
    You are so right!
    Joggers & nordic walkers wearing black clothing and no reflectors. I don't think they know how invisible they really are.
    We have a local trail jogger who wears a flashing red LED on his back at night! Truth.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-16-04 at 02:31 PM.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're mixing it up with traffic, you need:

-- a front light to see at your speed. I chose 20w spot so would not have to drop speed much
    -- a front light to be seen. I chose a 10w flood. [ part of 2 light set ]
    -- front side lights so cars don't turn into you
    -- a rear light.

The first three are most important. Only about 2 percent of accidents are strikes from rear. Most are from the side, and some from the front.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly ride at night. Partly because I sometimes ride home from work, which tends to be late. But if I'm just going out for a ride I prefer to go at night. I think I first started riding at night because it's cooler (not an issue now, but it's hot here for a large part of the year.) I also actually feel safer at night - more visible with decent lights. I'm riding sometimes in traffic, sometimes quieter residential streets, have yet to encounter any problems.

Out of breath again. suntreader's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife gets really vocal when I talk about riding at night.

I only have road bikes. Although I have plenty of lights on them, our streets are really risky. We live in a tourist town, so many drivers are intoxicated after dark.

Things would be different if I had a trail bike... and trails to ride. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any suggestions or things to watch out for ?
    Watch out for joggers and people walking their dogs.
    I leave work as the sun is setting and ride through several neighborhood streets. People are out walking their dogs and jogging like there is no one else on the planet. They step off the curb right in front of me. Often they don't hear me coming and are startled when they see my headlights aimed at them.

Make sure you can see but more important than seeing is being seen by motorists. I have two blinkies, two headlights, a flashing white light on the front, and lots of reflectors on my bike. I generally wear a fluorescent yellow/green windbreaker.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road bikes are very fast and very quiet. People don't even notice lights sometimes. You need a bell, or horn, or good lungs.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Some call it God's country. I call it Acton, Maine
    My Bikes
    Too Many - 7 or 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite night riding is out on the lake ice in mid-winter. If the moon is full, turning out my lights and just cruise for miles. Occaisionally an ice hole or an ice heave will sneak up, but that is what makes it so fun.
    Keep it 'tween the ditches

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone

Chi
    My Bikes
    Trek 7000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rain or shine.

Mountain? different story ....

Out of breath again. suntreader's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUM
    My favorite night riding is out on the lake ice in mid-winter. If the moon is full, turning out my lights and just cruise for miles. Occaisionally an ice hole or an ice heave will sneak up, but that is what makes it so fun.
    What is ice?

Just like to ride!
    My Bikes
    TREK and Gary Fisher
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride in the dark about 45-60 minutes before light every morning before work. I choose my route very carefully to stay away from any high traffic areas and wear reflective clothing. There are just times of the year that force me to ride during dark hours in order to maintain my training schedule. I ride all year all weather and really enjoy the seasonal changes. The dark rides add a really neat aspect to my experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast