Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Reason for Dropped Chain

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Reason for Dropped Chain

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 05:11 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Reason for Dropped Chain

The only time I've dropped a chain before was when shifting from the middle to inner of a troublesome triple, and that went away with proper derailleur adjustment. This time, I was on my newer compact double bike when it dropped off the inside.

The only thing is, I was not shifting at the time (or at least not in front -- can't recall if I'd just shifted the rear). The only factor I could come up with is that I'd been riding on the big ring all day, but at this time I'd forgotten that I'd shifted to the small ring to go up a hill, followed by some slow riding through a neighborhood.

So when this happened, we were speeding back up going out of town and I had shifted all the way to the small cog in the rear, which I normally wouldn't do on the small ring due to the cross-chaining situation. So would cross-chaining like this make it prone to drop off? At first thought it wouldn't seem so since the cross-chain position would seem to be biasing the chain toward the outside, not the inside.

Any ideas, or was it just one of those things? The bike only has a few 100 miles on it, so nothing abnormally worn either.
Old 06-27-11, 05:21 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
It happens when you cross chain or forget what cogs and chain rings you are in

The Answer:
https://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...0&pricemax=200

Old 06-27-11, 05:29 PM
Road Runner

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
It happens when you cross chain or forget what cogs and chain rings you are in
Yeah, I was riding without my Flightdeck cycle computer, which has a readout showing what gear you're in. With my "senior" memory, a good idea!
Old 06-27-11, 05:34 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I have them on both of my bikes......never dropped another one.

Old 06-27-11, 05:35 PM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I have a new compact drive system. I also had severe chain-suck several times yesterday. I hope a good cleaning will resolve the issue.
Old 06-27-11, 07:54 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
IMHO...if you dropped a chain on a compact, you front D/R stop isn't where it should be or your rear D/R is the wrong cage and won't wrap enough chain for your gearing combo, allowing a bunch of slop in the chain tension.
Old 06-27-11, 07:58 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
IMHO...if you dropped a chain on a compact, you front D/R stop isn't where it should be or your rear D/R is the wrong cage and won't wrap enough chain for your gearing combo, allowing a bunch of slop in the chain tension.
+1
Old 06-27-11, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if i am in small in back and go from small front(of 2)to big front the cross chain will cause front to go "past" big ring and off,,twicebefore I realized why...
Old 06-27-11, 08:20 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
OK. When your bike is in the little/little combination do you get any chain noise from the front derailleur/chainring area?

If you do, I'm going to guess "operator error". Compact doubles, when they're in the little/little combination, have a tendency for the chain to rub against the inside of the big chainring. My guess is that your big ring tried unsucccessfully to pick up the chain and, when it failed, created slack that caused the chain to bounce over the little ring.

If it was my bike I don't think that I'd do anything right now but, if it happens again, I'd install the chain keeper that 10 wheels suggested.
Old 06-27-11, 08:22 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Is your front derailleur control indexed? Chain drop and cage feathering are strong arguments in favor of old school analog/linear cage control in front. Otherwise, check chain tension, chain condition (rollers should turn freely and elongation must be <0.5%, or 1/16" per 24 half-links), and chainring tooth erosion.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-28-11, 02:14 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
I have a new compact drive system. I also had severe chain-suck several times yesterday. I hope a good cleaning will resolve the issue.
Check the chain for tight links. Don't know if you fitted a new chain or not but it is normally a new chain on worn chainrings or cassette that would cause the chain to jump.However a few years ago I had a new chain on new chainrings and I had severe chain suck in granny. This was offroad and we put it down to Mud causing the suck. End of ride and cleaned everything up and we had one tight link that was the problem.

Same with the OPs problem. Mates bike and the chain was jumping a lot as it went over the rear cassette and it was down to a tight link. The amount the chain was jumping I could see that it could have jumped off the chain set. It didn't but worth checking.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-28-11, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
In my experience, compact doubles will drop the chain on the inside pretty regularly. There is a big gap between the cage and the inner ring. If the FD moves freely and there is little drag in the cables, it'll drop down smartly and can throw the chain if there is the slightest slack in the top run of the chain. A chain catcher like a K-edge or Dog Fang solves the problem.
Old 06-28-11, 04:01 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I had a problem for a while with the chain occasionally dropping off the inside when I would shift to my 34 ring. I was thinking of getting a K-edge chain catcher, but I did some fine tuning with the limit screw and have had no further incidents. I just had to find that magic spot where the derailleur would allow the chain to run cleanly in lowest gear but would not push it far enough to pass the small ring and drop.
Old 06-28-11, 05:04 PM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Check the chain for tight links. Don't know if you fitted a new chain or not but it is normally a new chain on worn chainrings or cassette that would cause the chain to jump.However a few years ago I had a new chain on new chainrings and I had severe chain suck in granny. This was offroad and we put it down to Mud causing the suck. End of ride and cleaned everything up and we had one tight link that was the problem.

Same with the OPs problem. Mates bike and the chain was jumping a lot as it went over the rear cassette and it was down to a tight link. The amount the chain was jumping I could see that it could have jumped off the chain set. It didn't but worth checking.
All the parts on my bike are pretty new. We have had a lot of rain and I may have lubed a chain that was still full of water. I then picked up a ton of sand and started having issues. I checked the position of the front derailleur and reset the stops after a good cleaning. It seems to be good now. I also went to a dry wax type lube.
Old 06-28-11, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I had a problem for a while with the chain occasionally dropping off the inside when I would shift to my 34 ring. I was thinking of getting a K-edge chain catcher, but I did some fine tuning with the limit screw and have had no further incidents. I just had to find that magic spot where the derailleur would allow the chain to run cleanly in lowest gear but would not push it far enough to pass the small ring and drop.
The best way to fix this, needs a repair stand, you shift onto the lowest gear, then while turning the pedals you watch the derailleur, you should see it move slightly, turn it so it moves toward the pedal, one half turn, from the starting position. That should fix it, the problem with the front shifting is that it's on the high tension side of the chain, and that means it takes more to get it to shift, but once it goes, it will tend to go further then intended.
Old 06-29-11, 04:46 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
huh?
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ur-adjustments
Look halfway down the page for "Front Derailleur - Adjusting L-screw".

Last edited by BluesDawg; 06-29-11 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-29-11, 05:18 AM
Road Runner

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
OK. When your bike is in the little/little combination do you get any chain noise from the front derailleur/chainring area?

If you do, I'm going to guess "operator error". Compact doubles, when they're in the little/little combination, have a tendency for the chain to rub against the inside of the big chainring. My guess is that your big ring tried unsucccessfully to pick up the chain and, when it failed, created slack that caused the chain to bounce over the little ring.

If it was my bike I don't think that I'd do anything right now but, if it happens again, I'd install the chain keeper that 10 wheels suggested.
Bingo! That's why I normally never ride in that combo, and when riding alone (the usual situation) I can clearly hear it and it reminds me that I should be on the big ring. But that day, I was riding and talking and had forgotten that I was on the small ring.

By the way, this is a carbon-frame bike with a non-round seat tube, so I'm not sure what chain keeper would work. I do have one on my conventional aluminum-frame triple.