Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Becoming Terribly Antsy

I fractured my radius just below my elbow as a result of a dumb biking mishap two weeks ago (I can't believe it has only been two weeks). Initially, the doctor said I would be able to return to biking in four weeks.

At this point, I am allowed to take the splint off periodically throughout the day to do some mild exercises. However, it still really hurts when I do, and I can't imagine being able to ride again in two weeks.

The weather here has been fantastic and I am going squirrely from my inability to ride. Has anyone else had a similar injury and if so, how long did you have to wait to ride again?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I've been told to stay off the bike I've gone hiking. Friends who have had upper body injuries have done the same.
    It's not the same as riding but it's better than nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer, Miss K. What the heck happened?

I've never had such an injury so I'm not much help except to offer my sympathy.

Take care of yourself and don't rush things.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't relate with the arm injury but a year and a half ago I had my left ankle fused and had to stay off the bike. I think my doctor was overly cautious about allowing me back on the bike and he told me it would take 9 to 12 weeks to recover. I had the surgery on Dec 2 and was able to do core exercises and pull-ups while isolating the foot. On New Year's Day I put a platform pedal on my bike and rode the trainer for 20 minutes. From there I began riding the trainer every other day and increasing the saddle time. At the end of January I did my first outdoor ride of about 25 miles and shortly after that I began riding the rollers. I began indoor cycling classes in mid February, rode my age at the end of February and did my first race the 2nd Saturday in March. Three days after the race I had a doctors appointment where he OK'd me to begin riding easy.

From my perspective, Miss Kenton, I don't understand why you are not riding the trainer every day and doing core exercises and lunges.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patience Grasshopper!
    Last edited by jdon; 06-29-11 at 05:49 AM.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I broke my forearm many years ago and was in a cast for many weeks (six I think). I think it was the Ulna I broke and am surprised you only need a splint, but perhaps a radius break is not as serious. The cast immobilizes the arm so you don't do anything stupid, and I guess the pain has the same purpose. So the pain is a good thing and you should listen to it. Frankly, I think you will be fortunate if it is only 4 weeks.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    take up another sport for the summer. walking? running? hiking?
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fell off a ladder once and had the same injury!I wasn't biking back then so can't help you with that.It's probably like getting through the winter when you can't ride for the snow.Patience as others have said!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang in there. It will get better.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing practical to add to the conversation other than to say I'm sorry to hear about your problem and wish you a speedy, full recovery.
    Craig in Indy

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walk till you are tired.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    Patience Grasshopper!
    Sage advice, Master Po.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Bummer, Miss K. What the heck happened?

I've never had such an injury so I'm not much help except to offer my sympathy.

Take care of yourself and don't rush things.
    It was an accident that resulted from my own inattentiveness! When I was having my new bike fitted, my BSG said I might like it better than my 1.5 as the new bike has only two chainrings and would be a cleaner shift. On the day of the accident, I was riding my 1.5 and mentally comparing the shift to the new bike. I shifted and looked down at my chainrings for a moment, when I looked up, I was heading directly toward an iron road barrier, the kind that are installed to prevent cars from entering the bike path. I sharply veered to avoid the post, but caught my shifter on the post. What happened after that is a blur, but TheMister said I did an endo.
    When I got up, I was covered in mud and examining the bo-bos on my shoulder, knee and elbow but was not in a great deal of pain. The bike had some significant damage, but I thought I might be able to ride home. I was preparing to get back on the bike, removed my helmet to fix my ponytail, but found I couldn't raise my arm to my hair! That was when I realized something was radically wrong. By the time we got to the ER, I was hurtin' for certain. Now I have a half cast from my wrist to shoulder wound with an ace bandage. It is my left arm and I am left-handed. You just can't imagine how many things you can't do with only one arm!

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miss K.

That sounds like a nasty spill. I can relate to not riding when the weather is excellent and the bike calls. I have to qualify for the September C&O ride in the next 4-5 weeks. I just had prostrate surgery and am off the bike for at least two weeks (laser surgery is much faster for recovery). I hope I can qualify - I was looking forward to the ride. I'm already going stir crazy.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    I fractured my radius just below my elbow as a result of a dumb biking mishap two weeks ago (I can't believe it has only been two weeks). Initially, the doctor said I would be able to return to biking in four weeks.

At this point, I am allowed to take the splint off periodically throughout the day to do some mild exercises. However, it still really hurts when I do, and I can't imagine being able to ride again in two weeks.

The weather here has been fantastic and I am going squirrely from my inability to ride. Has anyone else had a similar injury and if so, how long did you have to wait to ride again?
    It's probably a serious crack rather then a complete break, or you would be in a cast, I broke my left humerus a few years ago, and they put in plates and screws, fortunately for me, it was in late October, so I was ready for winter hiatus anyway. It takes time, and you will need to take it easy, if the docs clear you for riding in 4 weeks, then good, but don't plan on anything more then a mile at first, if the arm feels good, then you can go longer, just make sure you don't fall again this year, it takes 3-6 months for a break to heal completely.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you may recall, RG had to switch to recumbents due to elbow injuries.

I hardly think a beard and aerobelly would look good on you, (let alone SPD sandals with wooly socks) so perhaps it's best to follow doctor's orders.

That said, I can quite sympathize with the antsiness of being off the bike. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions as to how to alleviate it.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your support and condolences. I don't own a trainer, I'm not into hiking but, I will walk. It is just that nothing beats the bike and as I drive by other cyclists, I get this feeling of wistfulness, like a dog on a leash that sees a nice, plump bunny just waiting to be chased!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    As you may recall, RG had to switch to recumbents due to elbow injuries.

I hardly think a beard and aerobelly would look good on you, (let alone SPD sandals with wooly socks) so perhaps it's best to follow doctor's orders.

That said, I can quite sympathize with the antsiness of being off the bike. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions as to how to alleviate it.
    With all the time off the bike, the aerobelly may be easy to produce, however the white beard may require a tad more mental stamina!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    Miss K.

That sounds like a nasty spill. I can relate to not riding when the weather is excellent and the bike calls. I have to qualify for the September C&O ride in the next 4-5 weeks. I just had prostrate surgery and am off the bike for at least two weeks (laser surgery is much faster for recovery). I hope I can qualify - I was looking forward to the ride. I'm already going stir crazy.
    Yikes! Obviously, I can't relate to the prostate issue, yet I think if I were male and given the choice, I'd rather deal with a fractured arm as it relates to riding!

However, like you, I have a (MS) ride planned for September. I have no doubt I will be riding by then, but I've never ridden 75 miles before, and I wanted to allow myself plenty of time for training. Every time I get another email from the MS society, I get a little panicked! Good luck in your recovery and training!

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    With all the time off the bike, the aerobelly may be easy to produce, however the white beard may require a tad more mental stamina!
    I bought my beard at a costume shop and just wear whenever I ride my recombinant bike. I stuff a pillow under my shirt, too.

Maybe a magnetic bracelet or, better yet, a hologram bracelet would help you mend faster! http://powergearbands.com/

Enjoy your walk today.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you heal quickly. Here's your new inspiration from the road forum:

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGen View Post
    Hard core...

Thought this might be you at first, but it's the wrong arm. Your twin maybe?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of the local rando riders are around my age but have been riding longer. It's amazing how many of them own tandems or have ridden tandems in the past- anyway, if you know a bunch of cyclists (ie, a club), put out the word, see if you can get a stoker position for a while.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    my recombinant bike
    Is this a bike made of spliced-together parts of other bikes (like a Frankenbike), or is it produced by recombinant e-coli?
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to sit in the garden and relax with a nice cool one occasionally--I said occasionally as too many cool ones might get the other arm broken. Especially if it is hubbys beer.

Heal quickly but get down the Gym- They have stationary bikes there and you can always crosstrain on other torture machines that may help the shoulder for when you do get back riding.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how you're feeling. My doctor told my family to hide my bikes for a couple weeks

Hang in there....you'll be back on that bike soon.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast