Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-30-11, 10:23 AM   #1
trek330

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nashbar brand

Hows the Nashbar house brand?I see serious savings but am afraid of quality.Any opinions?I'm especially interested in clothes.
trek330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 10:33 AM   #2
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
I've had a few of their cheapest clothes - a couple of pair of shorts, a crew-neck pullover jersey - and they've been fine for the money. Don't expect them to be as comfy or as long-lasting as the name-brand stuff that sells for 4X the price.
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 11:02 AM   #3
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Their clothing seems to be good, basic-quality stuff. Definitely not high end but serviceable and a good deal for the $$$. The parts seem to be similar - basic-quality. They work fine but won't have the fancy finish, and they'll weigh more than the higher-priced stuff.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 11:04 AM   #4
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 11:04 AM   #5
PaulH

Bikes:
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I bought Nashbar rain pants about ten years ago. There was a rubber coating that made them quite hot. It wore off in about a week, making them no longer rain pants.

Advantage -- cheap
Disadvantage -- useless

Paul
PaulH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 11:29 AM   #6
Flying Merkel

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have one of their MTB frames and disc brake sets. They work well, not cutting edge but very serviceable. Like the way the frame fits better than the Specialized it replaced.
Flying Merkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 11:31 AM   #7
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
I've owned a few Nashbar brand jerseys. Decent quality and decent prices.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 11:54 AM   #8
LoriC
LoriC

Bikes: Currently a 1992 Bike Nashbar 5000 Xplorer mtb
I've had 3 Nashbar bikes: a 1983 sport tour, 1985 road bike, and a 1992 mtb. The '83 and '92 bikes were my favorites, and awesome values for the money: Shimano mid-level components all the way and very good frames. The '85 felt too short in the top tube so I sold it within a year - for a profit. I still have the mtb ('92 model Shimano LX & DX all the way) and ride it every day, albeit with narrow street tires. Put Rock Shox Mag21 forks on it in Moab in '96 and they're still working.

In my experience, Nashbar has historically been a good value for the money, especially for me way back when I was a young starving artist. Local shops always wanted hundreds more for the same basic product/workmanship. Maybe that has changed, but I don't think they'd still be around if they couldn't offer something more than price point.

Happy trails!
LoriC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 01:00 PM   #9
leob1

Bikes:
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
My first set of clipless pedals are Nashbar branded, still good 10+ years on. I like them as well as my shimano pedals. My wife has a set of Nashbar pedals on her bike, light, with a nice finish. Worth the price.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 01:18 PM   #10
oldster

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Their clothing seems to be good, basic-quality stuff. Definitely not high end but serviceable and a good deal for the $$$. .
+1 on this I have couple of things that were seriously cheap price wise and are still working well...
Bud
oldster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 06:21 PM   #11
trek330

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
My first set of clipless pedals are Nashbar branded, still good 10+ years on. I like them as well as my shimano pedals. My wife has a set of Nashbar pedals on her bike, light, with a nice finish. Worth the price.
My only experience with Nashbar were entry level pedals that broke shortly after buying them.The spring popped out and though I managed to push it back I haven't used them since.They were also very difficult to release from.I switched to "Look" and its a world of difference.That bad experience is primarily why I'm asking.Thanks all for your feedback.
trek330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 09:05 PM   #12
chinarider
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I got a pair of their "Look" alike pedals 4 years ago for around 50 bucks. ~10,000 miles and no problems.
chinarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 11:54 PM   #13
jockotobling

Bikes: Various, I like to work on bikes restoring and building.
I've been pleased with the Nashbar products that I have used over the years. They offer good value.
jockotobling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 12:40 AM   #14
reducedfatoreo

Bikes: Old Cannondales
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I personally love their F1 saddle. The C-pants are also good if you can get them on sale. Apparently they're on sale at Amazon for $20!?

http://www.amazon.com/Nashbar-C-Pants/dp/B004UMF2L6

EDIT: same price as on the Nashbar website (go get 'em!) Must be additional search hits for them to sell on Amazon.
reducedfatoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 07:28 AM   #15
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
I'll add a tidbit or two. The oldest jersey I own is a Nashbar. I got it in '87, I think. Nuttin' wrong with it except the shrink fairies got to it over the years. (It couldn't be me!) Nashbar parts are made by major manufacturers, obviously to a lower spec than the high-end stuff. Pedals, I think, are made by Sampson, and you can often find the same pedal with someone else's brand on it for double the price Nashbar wants.

In spite of prices, I haven't used Nashbar in over a year, due to the credit card fiasco. My card #, along with thousands of others, was compromised and they didn't even bother telling me while they took 6 months to investigate if it really happened. To lure me back, they offered me a 10% off deal that expired too quickly to be of any use to me.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 09:27 AM   #16
one_beatnik

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.
Don't get their cheapest stuff in shorts, but the next steps up are good stuff.
one_beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 01:00 AM   #17
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have this new neighbour that has just got into cycling and he required a few things for the bike. Mainly the wedge and a pump and I told him to go to my LBS. He went online as they are cheaper. I sorted a few things for him as being suitable and they arrived last week. First of all the pump- it will get to 120 psi- or so claimed- but It will take a stronger person than me to get there- best I could get was 65 and that was hard. The multitool. End of line and down from 28 to 4.50. It has everything you could use and it is strong.It is also large and heavy and will not fit in the wedge. Finally the wedge. Something you hope not to use too often and it will sit on the bike and be there when needed. The material is very thin and the securing strap does not fit comfortably under his saddle.

OK- if you want something that you know and is at a discounted price then online stores can be usefull- but after this experience I want to see the product before I buy it. They may have been cheap- but I reckon the parts supplied will are not the best that could have been bought and will be changed to a Known product after a few rides.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 06:27 AM   #18
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
As has been stated, on average they are serviceable but without the details.
A still have some of their items. after 15 years of hard use.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 07:43 AM   #19
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Some of the Nashbar branded items are good values on good products, some are not so great. I have had mostly good service from the ones I've bought. The customer reviews on the Nashbar site can sometimes help you to spot the dogs.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 08:51 AM   #20
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Arcalis Andorra 01 custom build, Specialized Stumpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
.... Pedals, I think, are made by Sampson, and you can often find the same pedal with someone else's brand on it for double the price Nashbar wants....In spite of prices, I haven't used Nashbar in over a year, due to the credit card fiasco.....
Pretty sure their pedals are made by Wellgo, especially since you can also find identical pedals under different brands. And +1 on the credit card deal....that was a mess...and I also have never been back to Nashbar.
Old 07-02-11, 09:32 AM   #21
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Some of the Nashbar branded items are good values on good products, some are not so great. I have had mostly good service from the ones I've bought. The customer reviews on the Nashbar site can sometimes help you to spot the dogs.
I always go by the reviews on products whenever I shop online. I can't remember getting burnt going by the reviews.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 10:25 AM   #22
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
I always go by the reviews on products whenever I shop online. I can't remember getting burnt going by the reviews.
I'm also careful not to be talked out of buying a good product by reviews. Some of the negative reviews you see online are completely irrelevant.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 05:13 PM   #23
Plutonix
Cyclologist

Bikes: Trek 4500, Trek 7.5 FX
Nashbar seemed to be THE low cost leader years ago, but no more unless you can get a 20% off or free shipping deal. They always seem to be out of the size or style I want and they dont work to maintain product lines. If you find a house brand item that you like, it is not very likely it will still be there in 6 months.

Universal Cycles is better stocked, wider selection, lower prices and always a 10-15% off deal going if you sign up. The downside is that they don't have a house brand.

I've had GOOD luck with the Nashbar brand software (clothes, shoes etc). Fits well enough and most of it is reasonably durable as well. Between prices creeping up and out of my size, I am looking to try Pricepoint.com for low end everyday jerseys/shorts next time.

I've had BAD LUCK with Nashbar brand hardware - parts, chains, pedals etc. Mainly junk, so I'll stick with UC for hardware for now.
Plutonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 02:59 PM   #24
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Kinda strange that this thread started. For the first time in several years I got a Nashbar catalog out of the blue.
rydabent is offline   Reply With Quote