Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I burned 50,000 calories

over the 826 miles doing RtR and BTC the last couple weeks. And I didn't lose as much weight as I'd hoped. I know I ate a lot but I didn't realize how much I was eating. And I still ran out of energy just about every other day later in the ride.

I know the 50,000 is not exactly accurate but it's probably not far off......
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be too quick to make that conclusion. I typically gain 5 lbs. on BRAG, but lose 10 over the next two weeks. Your two weeks of tours was on a much bigger scale, but I would guess you'll see something similar happen.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to my Garmin in the 6 weeks since I bought it, I burned 67,000 calories riding 1090 miles. Since I've been riding similar distances for about a year and a half, I figure I should need weights in my pockets to keep from floating off.

I take it with a grain of salt.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 3500 calories/pound, 67000 calories is less than 20 pounds. Sadly, its easy to increase intake by a similar amount and not lose too much weight.

Weight loss takes sustained excess calorie burn, which includes both the exercise and the diet control. As to the latter, it's probably more important what you eat than how much. Beware of all processed foods. Just because you ride 50 miles a day doesn't mean you can wolf a bag of tortilla chips.

Oh yeah, and Garmin and other cyclocomputers are completely untrustworthy counters of calories burned.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pedaling my butt off and I'm not losing a pound. I really don't think I'm over eating, but I must be.
    George

My Bikes
    Various, I like to work on bikes restoring and building.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how many calories I eat or burn. I do know that biking keeps me from getting too fat. I had pizza for lunch and chili (turkey-very spicy) for dinner, and pie for dessert and breakfast. I didn't go for a ride today, so I guess this is a fat day.

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I burn a ton of calories from riding in a day, I make it up by scarfing down a bunch of food (increased appetite). It sucks and it's a vicious cycle. My body does not want to let go of the small amount of fat left of my midsection.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to do that long offroad ride I keep on about and it was hard. Not many places where you could take it easy and My HRM used to show 500 calories burnt in a hour. So 12 hour ride would give 6,000 calories burnt on the ride. All I can remember was that we had a lot of food on that ride. I know a lot of weight loss in a ride is probably down to fluid loss but we were taking in a lot of fluid. At least 12 litres of bottled water in 1/2 litre bottles and the camelbacks with isotonic additive were extra to that.

But at the end of those rides we had normally put on 5lbs but in 5 days that weight gain was lost- and several lbs. more.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the 50k is that far off-based on my experience from a number of other rides---and my caloric intake for the 2 weeks--and my net end weight.
    Ride your Ride!!

Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    over the 826 miles doing RtR and BTC the last couple weeks. And I didn't lose as much weight as I'd hoped. I know I ate a lot but I didn't realize how much I was eating. And I still ran out of energy just about every other day later in the ride.

I know the 50,000 is not exactly accurate but it's probably not far off......
    OK You didn't lose the weight.... Hard to compare when we don't know where you started (weight wise). You could be 300+ or a 90# rider.

Last winter I skied over 100 days in four months. Weight loss - under five pounds. I have more to lose but just can't 'diet' without losing energy.