Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When returning to biking- about how long til don't feel ride?

Just curious, when returning to biking. About how long does it take before your legs stop telling you that you are excising again?

Currently my ride RT is about 10 miles, and do this 2 to 3 times a week. I would expect to feel the ride for about another couple weeks, but wondering how about how long before it gets easier and starts feeling normal again.
    Hi 'o Silver away

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
    Just curious, when returning to biking. About how long does it take before your legs stop telling you that you are excising again?

Currently my ride RT is about 10 miles, and do this 2 to 3 times a week. I would expect to feel the ride for about another couple weeks, but wondering how about how long before it gets easier and starts feeling normal again.
    No length of time, but too much work too soon is not a good idea. How about your 10 miles 3 times a week, then 4, then upping to 15miles. Then increase speed. Do it slowly, but for me after a 6 month lay off, I only did 5 initially, then 10miles 4 times a week, then 30 twice a week, then 40 on the road building up to a respectable pace. Then when I felt comfortable, after about 6 weeks of riding, It was back off road for the regular 30 miles of XC. That hurt the first time, but It now takes a 50 miler off road before I can say I've had enough for the day.

My Bikes
    walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on how you push yourself. If I am meandering, then I can go as long as I want, and not feel it tomorrow. If I am pushing, just two miles can seem horrible. What is your goal? break it up into bite size pieces, and chomp,chomp.

I started with 15 min. on a stationary bike at lowest resistance. I wanted endurance, so I upped time, not resistance. when I got to 60 minutes, I went for the real ride, which for me is 16 miles one way home from work. It took me 2 hours the first time, but my goal was to finish, not to hurt. Now I can do it in 90 minutes without losing my ability to work after arriving.
    And I am sure there are other choices I haven't thought of, yet...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I think the best answer is that it will ever happen. Once you get used to riding at a certain level, somehow you just seem to hook up with a faster group, and start working your way up all over again.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    Well, I think the best answer is that it will ever happen. Once you get used to riding at a certain level, somehow you just seem to hook up with a faster group, and start working your way up all over again.
    Yesterday, your comment made no sense. Today it is wisdom. My "not normal" is not really a hurt or pain. It is more the feeling between the 5 minute cool down and the normal body experiences. You know where the upper thigh muscles are tight and you need to move your legs a bit just because it feels better to get the stiffness out. I am still aware of them having recently exercised. I was thinking after I got back into shape, it would be more like delivering papers. You really didn't notice your leg muscles, you just used them.

Others, I do not concentrate on speed because that is too frustrating and encourages me to over do it. I simply try to keep cadence between 55 and 65. If I get up to 70, I shift to a higher gear and slow down cadence a bit. Where I really feel the muscles working are A-- working to clear an intersection, and B-- one 10 house hill that I can barely handle by the time I get to the top.

Based on your suggestions, I'm going to try 2 to 3 times a week until the legs are stronger. Thanks.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Fortunatissimo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll let you know when it happens.

Greg LeMond once said something like this: it never gets any easier, you just go faster.
    How is it that we have let the people who do not believe in the public good be in charge of the public good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday, your comment made no sense. Today it is wisdom. My "not normal" is not really a hurt or pain. It is more the feeling between the 5 minute cool down and the normal body experiences. You know where the upper thigh muscles are tight and you need to move your legs a bit just because it feels better to get the stiffness out. I am still aware of them having recently exercised. I was thinking after I got back into shape, it would be more like delivering papers. You really didn't notice your leg muscles, you just used them.

Others, I do not concentrate on speed because that is too frustrating and encourages me to over do it. I simply try to keep cadence between 55 and 65. If I get up to 70, I shift to a higher gear and slow down cadence a bit. Where I really feel the muscles working are A-- working to clear an intersection, and B-- one 10 house hill that I can barely handle by the time I get to the top.

Based on your suggestions, I'm going to try 2 to 3 times a week until the legs are stronger. Thanks.
    Another thing you might try is using a higher cadence. Spinning faster is easier on the knees and muscles. It also drives your heartrate up a bit higher, I think, while covering the same distance. If you're not riding too hard, that extra few beats a minute is a nice cardio workout.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For most folks, a good cadence is 80-100 rpm. Easy on the knees and muscles. Takes a while to get there, though!

NeoRetroGrouch
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It never gets easier, you just get faster." - Eddy Merckx I think. - TF

My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's see... I returned to cycling less than three months ago.. My minimum ride is 10 miles several days a week and I do 30+ mile rides on weekends. I stopped getting that post-excercise feel, after short rides, maybe four to six weeks ago, but I still feel it after long rides. My guess is you'll stop feeling it pretty soon too.

Stacy

Out of breath again. suntreader's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I began with 3 miles a day, just to be safe. In three weeks I was doing 20 miles a day with no obvious side effects.

Now, it only hurts when I DON'T ride... if that makes any sense.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suntreader,

Yes that makes sense. It's been almost a week since last ride so that could be part of the problem.

Stacy,
    thanks for the advice. That means I have about 2 months to go. Not bad considering how long it has been.

DenverFox,
    Can't up the cadence yet, it is too much strain. Eventually I'll get there, but don't want to push it at first.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it seems like I can ride off some of the stiffness that comes from a long ride. Maybe that's the kind of hurting when you miss a ride Suntreader mentioned. On the other hand, if I skip a couple of days I usually feel stronger when I get back on the bike.

Also some of the less measurable improvements are, I seem to be getting better at overall cycling skills and getting a little better with hills.

Give it time and keep working. Eventually it will all come together.

Stacy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DenverFox,
    Can't up the cadence yet, it is too much strain. Eventually I'll get there, but don't want to push it at first.

Okay, but, really, upping the cadence should relieve the strain, as you use much less leg and body effort.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand, but I only have 28 miles so far. I don't know yet if the "strain" is from pushing too hard or waiting too many days between riding. I'm trying to keep biking fun so I don't give up. I tried standing on the steep hill today and that was slightly easier, but I really want to get strength back so I can just push it. Standing seems like too much wasted energy.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also noticed something else: the first four or five miles are the roughest. If I'm a little stiff in the beginning, it takes about that long before I start feeling good.

I have a three mile circuit around my neighborhood that I use as a warm-up lap, then I take off on the longer run when I'm sure that all the muscles and bones are working okay.

If I can get past ten miles without a problem, I'm usually good for as long as I want to ride. I don't know if it's the cyclists' corollary to the "runner's high" or what. I just feel really good in the 10-20 mile phase of my ride.

My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my "usual route" the first mile is in heavy traffic which tends to get my adrenaline going. Next couple of miles are on a bike path which is when I first begin to notice any stiffness. I really don't need to take a break after the first five miles any more but I've come to enjoy stopping and sitting for a few minutes - needed or not. From then on I usually feel like I can just keep going.

Last mile or so is also in heavy traffic and I'm also beginning to feel a slight runner's high after I get off the bike..

When I was younger, my method of dealing with hills was to build up as much speed as possible so I could really cut into the hill Then when the momentum began to wane I'd begin to stand up in the pedals and pump. This is the kind of skill that's beginning to come back. It's not so much a choice as a response. I also spend more time moving around on the bike, standing up, leaning to one side, etc, to improve my balance and gain more confindence. Maybe it's just me but I feel that my level of confindence has a lot to do with it.

Stacy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention the other thing I do...

After a long ride, I park the bike on my patio and go walking for about five minutes to "normalize" my legs. I think this helps a lot. I have a friend who rides 25 miles a day, rain or shine. He always walks about a mile after his ride.

I remember this practice from the athletic days of my youth. Although I can't remember all the physiology, I think it has something to do with dissapating the lactic acid buildup in the leg muscles.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again. It is getting easier. I used to cool down after the ride and walk about for 5 to 10 minutes. Now I cool down on the last mile and drop cadence by about 15. After a 6 day hyatis, I rode again yesterday. Suddenly everything felt normal. So it must be like running, after you start to get in shape again, if you fail to exercise you will feel it.

Yesterday I tried standing up climbing my tough hill, it was a different feeling. But I'm looking forward to the day when I can just cruise up it without standing.

Keep on, keep on pumping...
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity I went to the last page of the posts in the 50+ threads. And I find Stapfam and Dnvrfox and some other folks that we don't see here.

Question is: Will my post bring this thread to the top and what has become of our other brethren?
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

legs

500 miles for me. Legs got real stiff. Had to do some walking to get rid of the stiffness.
    2300 miles now no problems no cramps ever.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fthomas View Post
    Out of curiosity I went to the last page of the posts in the 50+ threads. And I find Stapfam and Dnvrfox and some other folks that we don't see here.

Question is: Will my post bring this thread to the top and what has become of our other brethren?
    The answer is "Yes" and you have successfully revived a dead post. Congratulations -

Question - is a revived post, back from the dead, a religious experience?

And the other brethren?

I haven't a clue.

But, you are nowhere near the first post in the 50+ Forum. When we started the 50+ forum, we included all the posts discussing the need (or not) to start the 50+ forum, which is why the first few posts don't really make sense, as it appears that starting a new forum is being discussed while at the same time that forum exists.

It is buried in the archives. Here it is:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in...p/t-63147.html

Here is one of the first posts in response to the need for a 50+ forum:

Retro Grouch
    I'm going on 62 and I definitively vote no.

I think there are already way too many sterotypes regarding older riders. Go to any bike shop looking for a new bike and watch them trot out all of the "grandmother" comfort bikes. I think that if we keep age out of it, we'll have a better chance of being treated as individuals rather than as a part of some age group.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-17-08 at 06:37 AM.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see. I usually start riding again in April and my legs stop hurting in October when I stop for the winter.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dnvrfox

Question - is a revived post, back from the dead, a religious experience?

Not a religious experience, but I was curious how the 50+ Thread originated and what was being discussed in the beginning.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)