User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fighting the weight gain battle and losing.

I am so tired of the fight, I could just spit. The wife and I took the RV and went out to see the great grand, and grand kids and although I brought the bikes I haven't been able to get any ridding in. Either time constraints or in northern Oregon and southern Washington it was cold and very wet. When with the kids I am not going to go ridding and not be with them. Anyway I'm not burning the calories I used to and the pounds I worked so hard to loose...

Then I run into these people who are skinny and wish they could put on some pounds. Did you ever have the overpowering urge to kill??
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil, Riding a bike in itself isn't the end all for weight management. Diet is. When I know that I'm not going to be riding for awhile thus not using the calories I've consumed, I drop my caloric and carbo intake.

Brad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only thing that works for me is counting calories. Seems like I'll be doing it daily the rest of my life. Currently I'm using an iPhone app for the purpose, but keeping track on a slip of paper has worked well too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For many of us weight control is a life long battle that those who never had to fight that fight don't or won't understand. Getting angry is only useful if you can channel the energy into new resolve and keep on fighting the fight. The balance between your psychological make up, unique physiology, genetic predisposition, amount of exercise, and calories consumed, is a complicated one. If you've had even moderate success before, you know something about what it takes. Don't give up.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the encouragement guys, I think I just needed to rant a little. I am just so tired of watching every bite of food I eat. It started in high school wrestling to stay in my weight class, and I am still trying to stay in my weight class. Then I meet people who wish they could gain weight and frustration takes over for a while.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Cannonade Hybrid

In God we trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you may be retired. I got the perfect weightloss program for you -- no kidding. Go thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. If you can't set aside 4-6 months to hike the entire 2,180 miles than just do as much as you can. I lost 50 lbs in 50 days. The secret is that you're participating in an aerobic activity every day -- all day -- and you're not eating so much (very important) because you must ration your food due to there being very few stores along the way, in contrast to a bike tour where you're seeing a store multiple times during the day. Furthermore you must carry your food, as well as everything else, so you're not exactly going to have a 7-course meal every night. Hunger is just a part of long-distance hiking.
    "The aim of science is to make difficult things understandable in a simpler way; the aim of poetry is to state simple things in an incomprehensible way. The two are incompatible."

-- Paul Dirac

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradtx View Post
    Phil, Riding a bike in itself isn't the end all for weight management. Diet is.
    Brad
    True dat. My impediment to losing weight is social drinking. Hanging out and having a couple beers or brandy or wine is one of the great pleasures in life for me. Reducing calorie intake whether it's food or drink is the way to start. I'm no shining example but I think I have the right strategy and it's in 3 parts. 1. Reduce calories 2. Increase exercise 3. Make sure your calories are healthy. My problem is actually doing it. I've lost 8 lbs. but need to lose another 10 IMO.
    Last edited by bruce19; 07-01-11 at 08:39 AM.

My Bikes
    Trek 700 wsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    True dat. My impediment to losing weight is social drinking. Hanging out and having a couple beers or brandy or wine is one of the great pleasures in life for me. Reducing calorie intake whether it's food or drink is the way to start. I'm no shining example but I think I have the right strategy and it's in 3 parts. 1. Reduce calories 2. Increase exercise 3. Make sure your calories are healthy. My problem in actually doing it. I've lost 8 lbs. but need to lose another 10 IMO.

And they say those last 10 are the hardest to lose.

I wish I could get there to find out if it is true.

My Bikes
    Trek 700 wsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    I am so tired of the fight, I could just spit. The wife and I took the RV and went out to see the great grand, and grand kids and although I brought the bikes I haven't been able to get any ridding in. Either time constraints or in northern Oregon and southern Washington it was cold and very wet. When with the kids I am not going to go ridding and not be with them. Anyway I'm not burning the calories I used to and the pounds I worked so hard to loose...

Then I run into these people who are skinny and wish they could put on some pounds. Did you ever have the overpowering urge to kill??
    Depending on how long you are going be there, and if the kids are little enough, it may be worth it for you to pop over to Wal-mart and buy bike trailer (about $125). Then each day you can take a different couple of kids on a ride with you. They'll love it, and you'll get to ride.

If they're older, pick up a couple of $60 bikes and let them ride with you. What you do is go out a few miles, bring the tired kids back, pick up the next batch, and go out again.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nutmegTN View Post
    And they say those last 10 are the hardest to lose.

I wish I could get there to find out if it is true.
    So true. I'm at 190 lbs and if I can lose those 10 lbs I will be at my college football weight. And that was 46 yrs. ago. YOW!

the Bayou City perpetually under construction
    My Bikes
    2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A simple weight loss program --- never eat another chip or french fry as long as you live. Betcha can't eat just none.
    "If we don't change direction, we will end up exactly where we are headed."

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Counting and measuring never worked for me. I lost 30 lbs. a few years back when my Dr. gave me some simple guidelines of what to eat more of and what to eat less of. This is very similar to what he told me to do.

5 Foods That Make You Fat; 5 That Don't

five foods associated with the greatest weight gain:
    • Potato chips
    • Other potatoes
    • Sugar-sweetened beverages
    • Unprocessed red meats
    • Processed meats
    five foods linked with less gain and even weight loss:
    • Vegetables
    • Whole grains
    • Fruits
    • Nuts
    • Yogurt
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay away from the all-you-can-eat places.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eat less processed and fast food, walk or ride or swim more, drive less.

Most processed and fast food is pumped full of salt, sugar, and fat which makes it hype-tasty, and you eat twice as much as you really need. An easy test to select food, beware of any food that has more mg of sodium than calories....call this the one to one rule. Foods that have lots of sodium usually also have excessive sugar and fat added. THe sodium is major cause of high blood pressure in addition to obesity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read a study. I tend to be a bit of a skeptic on these. But this one makes sense. It found that people are eating more calories than they did 30 years ago and guess where the calories go? The major reason for the extra calories is people a eating more snacks and bigger snacks.

Calories sneak in all sorts of ways. The thing is to keep track of what you are eating and how many calories it has. It is often a pretty simple matter to get rid of high calorie junk that can make a big difference in the battle of the bulge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Education and attacking the problem from a total lifestyle perspective will work. We are our own worst enemy: "we have met the enemy and he is us", Opus.

A major problem is sitting. Not only does sitting conserve calories, but it increases one's mortality by something like 11% for each hour/day spent sitting (whether you exercise or not) according to one study. It also rapidly reduces muscle mass and muscle mass burns calories even at rest. Less exercise also means a bigger appetite according to several other studies, some of them dating back to the 1950's.

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/ma...sitting-t.html

"This is your body on chairs: Electrical activity in the muscles drops — “the muscles go as silent as those of a dead horse,” Hamilton says — leading to a cascade of harmful metabolic effects. Your calorie-burning rate immediately plunges to about one per minute, a third of what it would be if you got up and walked. Insulin effectiveness drops within a single day, and the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes rises. So does the risk of being obese"

And

"each additional hour of television a person sat and watched per day, the risk of dying rose by 11 percent."
    --

We RV'd extensively for about a decade starting a few years before retirement. We also took periodic long car trips even when the kids were home. I'm of the body type that puts on the pounds very easily and sheds them with difficulty, so I had to deal with all that sitting which puts on the pounds. We established some rules some 40 years ago (after I discovered that running solved my creeping hypertension) that kept us reasonably fit and burning calories. Some examples;

Sit as little as possible. We'd stop every couple of hours and snacked while walking around. It blows my mind to see people sit in a car for hours then sit inside the RV or at a picnic table or go sit in a restaurant piling in the high calorie food. We didn't do lunch as that just piles too much food in the gut at one time while sitting and makes one lethargic which again reduces calorie burning.

Either run every morning before breakfast (we got up early) or if we were hauling bikes, ride after we got a motel/campground if the area was suitable/nice. You can run anyplace.

If we were staying in a multistory hotel/motel, use the stairs, including when carrying bags. I did that when on business travel and walked from the airport if the motel/car rental was within a mile.

We focused all our travel on some physical activity (hiking/biking/canoeing/backpacking). So if the wife wanted to visit a certain area, I'd find where one could partake of the local woods and we'd set aside days to do an activity. We'd make sure to have the gear.

Eat smaller meals and watch the fat intake. One of the big advantages of RV'ing is that you can control what you eat and how it's prepared.

I had a really big problem with business travel during my career. The food was free (and really good if you chose the right restaurant), paid by my employer and I did a lot of sitting on planes and there were often long stop-overs in airports. I developed the habit of standing/pacing in airports. I would sometimes read standing up.

A lot of my travel was to DC where one could walk to those buildings where I had meetings rain or shine. I also ran before breakfast. Always worried about getting lost and not finding my way back to the hotel especially in the dark. They didn't have wrist GPS receivers in those days.

If you do some history, you'll find that physical activity has been eliminated from the work place and the home plus sitting time has increased by a huge amount. We are not designed for the popular lifestyle: TVs, PCs and forums are killers.

Al

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great tips, Alcanoe. Thanks.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    excellent road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eating healthy = Great! To cycle indoors, for whatever reason, use a bike trainer stand. Important to develop and maintain cardio as well as strength. Frequent weight lifting / strength training exercises is proven strategy to help fight the fat or obesity by altering your metabolism. Sometimes motivational music and varying your routines and exercises is important, so you don't get bored and/or "plateau". Your body adapts to an exercise and weight loss stops, unless you push it further or in a different direction. Talk to your doctor first, to make sure you push it safely. All things that you probably already know, but hey.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Counting and measuring never worked for me. I lost 30 lbs. a few years back when my Dr. gave me some simple guidelines of what to eat more of and what to eat less of. This is very similar to what he told me to do.

5 Foods That Make You Fat; 5 That Don't

five foods associated with the greatest weight gain:
    • Potato chips
    • Other potatoes
    • Sugar-sweetened beverages
    • Unprocessed red meats
    • Processed meats
    five foods linked with less gain and even weight loss:
    • Vegetables
    • Whole grains
    • Fruits
    • Nuts
    • Yogurt
    I don't have weight problem but this tied my normal diet down to a "T" BUT if I do put on the 5lbs to bring me up to 155- then it is lack of exercise that does it .

But after a long hard ride- all I want is fat. Large bucket of KFC and I enjoy it. The french fries get binned.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    But after a long hard ride- all I want is fat. Large bucket of KFC and I enjoy it. The french fries get binned.
    Interesting. After a hard ride I'm not at all hungry. I have to force myself to drink water or a sports drink. Later I'm good for some sort of food and a beer but not a lot of either. The next day I'm usually a little hungrier than usual.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has lost 27 lbs in 6 months just by going on a very low salt diet.
    She doesn't exercise.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justadude View Post
    ...To cycle indoors...
    I think I'd just as soon be fat.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems I am not to only one that's on a perpetual diet. It's just that I am getting sick and tired of watching everything I eat. The older I get the easier it is to pack it on it seems. While on our trip and off my usual schedule everything goes to pot. Literally. It just ticks me off to have to be on guard all the time. I would like to have a piece of chocolate birthday cake without gaining 20 lbs.overnight-0

Now ridding a
    Cannonade Hybrid

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The older I get the easier it is to pack it on it seems.
    This is literally true. The average person begins to lose muscle mass beginning in the early 30's. Muscle tissue is metabolically active. As one loses muscle it becomes easier to add weight because one has less metabolically active tissue on one's body.

It just ticks me off to have to be on guard all the time. I would like to have a piece of chocolate birthday cake without gaining 20 lbs.overnight.
    What works for me is a strategy of rewarding good eating behavior with a once-a-week treat. In other words, if I am very careful about what I eat during the week I will allow myself some sort of treat or dessert on the weekend. This helps prevent these feelings of deprivation and resentment.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Interesting. After a hard ride I'm not at all hungry. I have to force myself to drink water or a sports drink. Later I'm good for some sort of food and a beer but not a lot of either. The next day I'm usually a little hungrier than usual.
    It would be interesting to know your typical level of effort on your rides. The general rule of thumb is that long aerobic endurance rides don't stimulate eating, whole shorter high intensity efforts do.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast