Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever think about dialing it back?

After a fall yesterday at 19mph and breaking three ribs I've been reflecting on road bikes.
    I think I could be just as happy on my hybrid going 12 mph, doing some light touring. As opposed to flat out on the road bike for 40 miles.

In my 60's and no health issues. I know it's kind of wussy, but at some point we all have to slow down. Right?
    In the Anonymity of the Internet Everyone is an Expert

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have health issues and I'm 71 and I don't want to dial back at all. If anything I'd like to get faster and ride longer. Usually my daily ride is 35 to 42 miles. Some days I hammer and other days I cruise.

If you think you would be happier just taking it easy, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Oh, I had a bad fall at age 66, going in the low twenty's and had to stay off the bike for a few weeks. I had 3 cracked ribs and a lot of road rash, but couldn't wait to start riding again.YMMV.
    George

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 71, I don't want to "dial it back" - instead I have found a riding style, mode and frequency that suits my goals for where I am in life. That is different from what I did and my goals when I started at 58. Certainly my riding style and goals do not include how fast and far I can go. Instead, they include regular and frequent opportunities to ride my bicycle for enjoyment and fitness. Each of us finds our own "niche" for our particular time in life. I also do flexibility, resistance, and other cardio exercises such as swimming and walking.

I think you must find the answer to your own question consistent with your happiness, goals, fitness, etc. Fortunately, we are all different. YMMV

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant dial back. The knob is broke off.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pain can make us have some crazy thoughts. Heal well.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slow down..Get a camera and look for pics to snap.
    You can ride slow on a road bike..I do.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things don't have dials anymore. Everything is digital.
    I'm 66 and no dialing back for me. I'm still trying to get back to what I could do at 58.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AChristie View Post
    After a fall yesterday at 19mph and breaking three ribs I've been reflecting on road bikes.
    I think I could be just as happy on my hybrid going 12 mph, doing some light touring. As opposed to flat out on the road bike for 40 miles.

In my 60's and no health issues. I know it's kind of wussy, but at some point we all have to slow down. Right?
    Three broken ribs will give you cause to reflect. Been there, (three over the right kidney). It wasn't a bike crash. Still, it caused me to re-examine some things and I made some life decisions based on the experience.

In your examination of things, do not forget to consider that perhaps the reason you're in your 60s with no health issues, is exactly because of flat-out 40-mile rides.

Noodling around the neighborhood on a bike yields one kind of fitness--which is still more fit than the vast majority of Americans of any age. However, flat-out over 40 miles yields a different kind.

Meanwhile, I'm keeping it turned up to 11.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the food for thought. Luckily I have plenty of time to digest it.

I realize that the two things I love are cycling and the high from getting into the zone at a hard pace. High speed doesn't do anything for me, though. Maybe that's why I like riding into the wind.

Possibly I could get that same cardio zone from an elliptical or stair master and leave the bike for pleasure.
    Anyway, no hurry.
    In the Anonymity of the Internet Everyone is an Expert

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to fight it off as long as I can. I like to ride as fast as I can for as long as I can some days, and others I want to ride as long as I can. But cutting back? not so much.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

CSG
    My Bikes
    2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB, 2011 Brompton ML6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New member here, age 60. I've been cycling since I was a kid but living in Idaho the last 17 years (vs. California before), it's seasonal. I never dialed it forward enough to dial back. I just ride for the fun of it. Never liked going fast, never liked riding flat out. I'm a smell the roses type. My riding usually includes stops to look around and enjoy the place I'm in.

Banned.
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most difficult thing for me to do is dial it back for recovery rides. We are all different though. Ride to your comfort level. There are plenty of ways to get cardio and resistance training in to maintain peak fitness.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Pain can make us have some crazy thoughts. Heal well.
    +1 Heal quickly and then revisit your thinking.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibly I could get that same cardio zone from an elliptical or stair master
    and leave the bike for pleasure.
    Anyway, no
    hurry.
    If the cardio stuff you are doing on your bike isn't pleasure, then why . . . . ?

My Bikes
    Giant Boulder SE, Fuji 3.0 Newest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope by the time I get into my 60's I will be able to hold 19mph.
    Take your time, like stated above you are in good health because you are active.
    Heal well, you will know what to do when the time comes.
    With God all things are possible.

Fuji Newest 3.0
    Giant Boulder!

http://app.strava.com/athletes/117694

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...Iqb/weight.png

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you woken up from you dream yet?
    Ride your Ride!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Age will naturally slow us down. Those hard rides I used to do are no longer attempted. Still found a different form of hard ride to do but You ain't gonna get me out for 12 hours offroad with 100 miles of torture again. Might try the 65 miler though sometime if I can get the training in.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.

If anything I'm doing more, and faster, and different (just tried track racing last week for the first time and can't wait to do it again). I wake up every day, another day closer to 57, feeling compelled to find what else life has to offer, both off and on the bike. I'm driven by curiosity -- how do I know what I can do unless I try?

I've had a couple of broken bones -- the broken wrist kept me off the road for weeks -- and I didn't deal with them well. By the time I could ride solo again I'd rediscovered the beauty of a casual social ride, which I use to balance out the hammerfests and racing rides.

It's all about balance in life. I hope you find yours, and hope you have a speedy recovery.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno. I'm a lot younger than some of you and am relatively new to riding, but I've concluded that to keep going I need a mix of attitudes- sometimes I need to hammer and sometimes I need to take a gentle ride. Trying to put myself in the OP's cleats, I can see a time when the mix might shift to a greater proportion gentle rides, but I can't see a time when I'd want it to be 100% easy. THere will always be some days when I want to hammer. Until I can't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got ran over by a car on Wednesday, I'm 56. Broken clavicle, rib and punctured lung. Was supposed to be racing today and tomorrow. Will be on the trainer soon, no plans to slow down.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmckenzie72 View Post
    Just got ran over by a car on Wednesday, I'm 56. Broken clavicle, rib and punctured lung. Was supposed to be racing today and tomorrow. Will be on the trainer soon, no plans to slow down.
    Wow. Hope you have a full and speedy recovery.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dial up----dial back???? Again dont over think. Do what you can do and keep doing it as long as you can. Do what is comfortable. Dont be driven by what you think others think. The thing is as cyclist for the most part we generally are in better shape than the ave guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the food for thought. Luckily I have plenty of time to digest it.

I realize that the two things I love are cycling and the high from getting into the zone at a hard pace. High speed doesn't do anything for me, though. Maybe that's why I like riding into the wind.
    Possibly I could get that same cardio zone from an elliptical or stair master and leave the bike for pleasure.
    Anyway, no hurry.
    Why not just ride uphill?!?!

Your speed will be less and you will be "In the Zone" for that exhilerating high!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't pedal with your ribs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting older has made me more careful, but I'm on track for the most miles ever this year. My father started jogging in the sixties, before jogging was cool, and now at 81, he is healthy as a horse (except for the arthritis that 30+ years of running caused). That my goal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast