User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 700 wsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First group ride was fun

First, it was fun!! I rode with the Cycle Memphis group on their first monthly beginners group ride. There were about 65 people riding, with hardly any spandex in sight. We left at 8pm and went 12.5 miles total to downtown Memphis and the Mississippi River and back. I was really flagging by the last couple of miles, but I made it!

I was so amazed that people all along the route cheered and waved at us. So many people asked what we were doing. Um... riding bikes?

Some things I learned:
    Some car drivers are going to yell, honk, and otherwise be rude.
    Bring extra water. (Some folks didn't bring any at all.)
    When they yell "car back" that means an impatient car is trying to crowd by.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have a Group that is to your standard. Nothing worse than getting involved with a group that is faster than you when you start out.

That Car back is usefull for new riders. YOU cant always hear the car coming up behind when you are slogging up a hill with all that heavy breathing going on around you. But 65 does seem to be a large group of riders for cars to pass safely so I am not surprised that a few car drivers will make their presence known. Why they have to be rude is another matter though.

Just hope the turn round point involved a suitable break with a cafe and Pie for you to recuperate. If it didn't find another group

Keep us posted on future rides and take the camera next time.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you enjoyed the ride. With that many cyclists the onlookers must have thought you were either a race or a parade!!

I've learned to rely on my own senses to stay aware of approaching vehicles. "Car back" or at intersections "Car right" or "Car left" is a nice touch to help keep everyone apprised of where the cars are at, but try not to get a false sense of security by relying on those alerts. You'll get a better sense of this all once you get the opportunity to ride in a smaller group.

Fess up now, what kind of after-ride pie did you have?

Looking foreward to reading about your next group ride...and maybe seeing some pictures.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad that you had fun. It's nice to get together with people that have the same interest as you and make new friends at the same time. Your group sounds like my Saturday club rides. We do two rides a month (2nd and 3rd Saturday's) and have two groups (club and haul-butt). The club rides are normally between 12 and 18 miles, depending on which route we decide to go. The club group is very casual and goes along at a nice steady pace between 12 and 14 mph (many times slower with new riders) while the haul-butt group does takes a different route and does 25-30 miles at 19-25 mph. I normally ride with the club group because the group atmosphere is much better. We like to ride through residential areas and chit chat as we go and just enjoy the ride. I have ridden with the haul-butt group a few times and they have more of a down-to-business atmosphere. Their ride is OK, but you're always in single file and going at a rate of speed that you hardly get to converse with one another. I can do that type of riding at the MUP.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done nutmeg. On my first ride 16 months ago I was gasping for air at the end of the first quarter mile. Now I ride 30 to 40 miles regularly. Group rides are fun but so is riding on my own at my pace. I also enjoy the 50+ forum which I think of as the cult compound.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, nutmeg

Do you have a mirror on your bike or helmet? The mirror is great for keeping aware of what is behind you...cars or people. We often ride the roads and usually call "car back" for those who are talking and may not be aware of approaching vehicles.

Enjoy the rides.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great nutmeg! I enjoy both club rides and solo rides.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you enjoyed the experiance, nutmeg. Riding in a novice group ride is great fun, but sometimes unnerving as the experiance is new to most everybody and finishing without a crash is the main goal. As you become more experianced with group riding, the more satisfactory it'll become.

Brad

My Bikes
    Trek 700 wsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I headed for home a half-mile before we returned to our starting point so I missed out on the pie, I guess. This ride was at night and it was 10:30pm by then anyway.

Sorry I didn't get photos. Next time when everything is not so new and intimidating.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff! 65 riders in a beginner's ride? Wow! That is hard for this small town ride leader to imagine.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're off to a great start. I'd hang with this group a bit more.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Trek 700 wsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Good stuff! 65 riders in a beginner's ride? Wow! That is hard for this small town ride leader to imagine.
    Yes, the organizers, a group called Cycle Memphis, were very pleased at the turnout.

There was even someone at the starting point filming us. Apparently she's doing a documentary on biking in Memphis. I'm looking forward to next month's ride. I won't be so exhausted by the end so I won't miss the pie!