User Tag List

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free TdF Viewing -- Tips for Cheapskates

OK, I'm a tightwad -- unwilling to pay the $30 or $50 to get Versus on the computer or cable.

Yesterday, I was able to watch and record the entire day's coverage from the links on this page:

http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live

It wasn't super high def, and there were numerous pauses of a second or two, but it was still quite enjoyable to watch.

Today, however the links are different. The CastAmp.com link worked for a while, but then shut down. Other links that worked yesterday no longer work today.

Currently, this link:

http://www.fromsportcom.com/v-2/10/16/v-301618.html

works fine, but it's in French.

I could mute it, and run an English audio stream, but the link for an audio stream on the above page doesn't work, and I haven't found one that does.

Has anyone gotten some free viewing working?
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are not a tightwad TromboneAl...... Versus rarely has anything I like except le Tour. Fortunately it is in my cable package.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by az_cyclist View Post
    you are not a tightwad TromboneAl...... Versus rarely has anything I like except le Tour. Fortunately it is in my cable package.
    At night,, they go from TDF to fishing tournaments, or rodeos, or some other memorable manly stuff.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only reason I have Versus is TdF and bull riding.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    OK, I'm a tightwad -- unwilling to pay the $30 or $50 to get Versus on the computer or cable.
    Those Cali cable companies must be ripping off everyone. Versus has been included in the basic package around here for the last hundred years.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    28 frames + 73 wheels
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Those Cali cable companies must be ripping off everyone. Versus has been included in the basic package around here for the last hundred years.
    Not just Cali. I've got Charter Communications cable with extended basic and HD, and it still doesn't include Versus. Ironically, I was able to watch the Giro live free from my roof antenna on Universal Sports, which I think is affiliated with NBC.
    What, Me Worry? - Alfred E. Neuman

Quote Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
    I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll have to make you an honorary Scotsman, Al! I do not even have cable TV -- just DSL for the computer and an outdoor mast-mounted antenna w/ a 26dB head amp. As long as I get KPBS and UCSD-TV I am happy.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I end up watching the highlights on YouTube. I dont see it real time and I dont get it all. But I get enough to follow along.
    "Watch out for giants; they are boorish fools with tongues wagging, drunk upon their own words.
    They will try to teach you a lesson if given the chance, and you will stumble over their stinking feet."

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Versus as part of the extended cable package, with all the other included channels I figure Vs is about $2 a month. Phil Ligget and Paul Scherwin are so worth whatever the cost, they are a treat to listen to for the TdF. I'm a happy camper here!!
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    Soma Stanyan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link
    To me the life is a glass half full, I love optimism, life's better that way.
    Riding the streets of San Francisco, the roads of West Marin and Northern California...

My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are tightwads too. We don't have cable and usually go to a friends house to catch some stages of the TdF.
    Last year we finally got DSL internet (after having free or super cheap dial-up for a long time). I've been able to talk Qwest into only charging us $15/mo for the DSL.
    Last week we hemmed and hawed over subscribing for the $30 all access online from Versus. We both ride our bikes to work most of the time and have saved more than $30 on gas already this year
    So we signed up and so far we have been loving it.
    Gunnar Sport
    Specialized Ruby
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX
    Jamis Dragon

CSG
    My Bikes
    2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB, 2011 Brompton ML6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't NBC carrying some of it? They had yesterday's time trials.

Edit - looks like just the first two stages was all.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I recorded the whole thing (with English commentary). I'll watch it now, and it will put me to sleep.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't fall asleep before the finish.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Randomhead
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's another tip, if you find a link don't post it anywhere or else it will go away.

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    I have Versus as part of the extended cable package, with all the other included channels I figure Vs is about $2 a month. Phil Ligget and Paul Scherwin are so worth whatever the cost, they are a treat to listen to for the TdF. I'm a happy camper here!!
    That's fine if the channels you get in the package are all ones that you want, what I usually find is that I don't mind paying extra for 10 channels, but they tend to do it this way around here:

You get the channel you want, along with 9 channels you don't want and in another package is another channel you want with 9 you don't, so by the time you get the 5 channels you want it's an extra $150 a month. If they had a package where you could pick any 10 channels for $30, or 5 you want and 5 your wife wants, I wouldn't mind....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a big 'sportif' person. Spectator sports just dont move me like they do some. I don't choose to invest a lot of time or money in watching sports, so the pay-per-view options are kinda lost on me.
    It isn't that I'm not interested - I am. I think the TdF is awesome.

But I don't really follow pro-cycling as routine, so most of the intrigue, personalities and details are lost on me. I don't know one chap from the next, except for a few names like Contador, Hushovd, Gilbert, Cancellara, Schleck - those guys. And I've only heard of them BECAUSE of the TdF. I wouldn't know them if they ran me over.

So, for me, a daily round of the various highlights is usually enough to tide me over. If I want to learn more about something or someone, I can dig a little from there.
    Last edited by dahut; 07-04-11 at 04:58 PM.
    "Watch out for giants; they are boorish fools with tongues wagging, drunk upon their own words.
    They will try to teach you a lesson if given the chance, and you will stumble over their stinking feet."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it weren't on Versus, I probably wouldn't watch it. I watch more for the scenery than the race(40 lashes). I'm not that big a cycling fan. I like to ride...for me. Don't really care to watch someone else ride.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been working well to record from the computer every morning, and watch it later.

However, on some days (like today), there are a lot of pauses in the video. The commentary continues uninterrupted, but the video will frequently pause for a few seconds. Other days, there are no pauses at all. I assume this is just my Internet connection (cable) not keeping up with the streaming.

Any way of reducing this problem? Rebooting, computer, rebooting cable modem, reconnecting, closing all other apps?

On this page, http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live, there are three links for viewing. Do you think that one link might have fewer pauses than another?

riding since '76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    It's been working well to record from the computer every morning, and watch it later.

However, on some days (like today), there are a lot of pauses in the video. The commentary continues uninterrupted, but the video will frequently pause for a few seconds. Other days, there are no pauses at all. I assume this is just my Internet connection (cable) not keeping up with the streaming.

Any way of reducing this problem? Rebooting, computer, rebooting cable modem, reconnecting, closing all other apps?

On this page, http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live, there are three links for viewing. Do you think that one link might have fewer pauses than another?
    I notice video pauses too, which I suspect are either at the server or somewhere in between, but not likely in the last mile of wire to my house. Cable is more prone to shared bandwidth issues, however, so that could be a factor for you. I have DSL.