Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope for all you newbies starting out.

9 am and the new rider turned up-Paul. He saw me yesterday and said he wanted to ride with us so I decided on a flat ride and any one else could join in providing they realised it was without pace and no drop. Paul had a new bike- Full suspension $75 job from the internet

Didn't even start to get on the road till 30 minutes later after adjusting the saddle- deraillers and brakes. Well we didn't adjust the brakes but warned Paul not to get above 10mph on any downhill bit. 4 others and me including Mick who only came out for his first ride last week Decided the marshes would be a good ride- nice and flat and not much traffic.

Start.jpg sun.jpg headon.jpg

Couple of pics before the marshes and Paul is in the black and Mick in the white jersey. Mick has my OCR and it is set up for him and is used to it now. He knows how it works and what he is capable of on it. Paul Knew nothing. "How do you get into the small ring on the front doug?" was his first question. His second after 10 miles was "Do the saddles always hurt this much?" So as you can see- Paul was a brand new rider but he learnt fast. Due to the pain Paul was already in- we did not get to the marshes. Decided instead to get a breakfast in at Eastbourne.

seafront.jpg Fusciardis.jpg breakfast.jpg

As you may be able to tell from the angle Paul is on the saddle- He had a lot of guts to ride that far but he still had to get home--After the Pie and coffee of course but I did have Pie -honest- but I was hungry waiting for breakfast to arrive and ate that first. You can see by the empty plate.

Mick is fine and he will be taken on a 40 miler next week with a few hills. He has to get bike fit quick as he is entered in a 71 miler in August but he will make it. Paul "MAY" make it- providing we can get a better bike for him but still a long way to go for him. Think he is fit enough but the body is gong to have to adjust. Mainly to get used to that "Razor Blade" that is on his bike at present.

And just a "Funny" incident. On the way back we came across an abandoned bike. Obvious it was abandoned and very recently too. None of us took a second look and the others were berating the standard of the bike. Paul poinetd out that it was exactly the same colour- Model- and manufacture as his bike.

So someone else agrees that Paul has to get a NEW BIKE.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it was a very interesting but nice ride. I love the shot of you guys on the path by the water. Where exactly is that? For us to drive along the beaches, we have to go with the realization that we are putting our lives at great risks. There are few bike paths along most of the beach area and driver's are more concerned with looking around for a place to park than looking out for cyclists. The only times that it's safe to ride along the beach is when they have sanctioned charity rides at which time the police hold up traffic and make it safe for us.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Eastbourne we have this Seaside walk. Part of it is designated as a Cycle path but this is out of the main town area. When you get to the congested town area- you have to compete with the cars and buses along the seaside road. But most of the coast around here has either designated- dedicated Cycle and footpaths. Brighton- which is our Largest seaside resort has it right along the sefront----But you try cycling with thousands of holiday makers out walking. It is safer and quicker on the road.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You forgot to mention your sedate pace on the way back, so sedate that it enabled myself and Mike to go up a few hills in the opposite direction, take in some cross county mountain biking, a fast descent off road, a fast descent on road and then catch the four of you just as you walked through the back gate - that was a fast ride back that even Mike was uncomfortable doing 23 mph on m'bike tyres on the flat!

I must be mad because I did the same hills again tonight and the East Dean rise (Berling/Beachy Head loop) with an elite time trial rider from the local club, that was even quicker, but we were on road bikes!

C'mon Stapfam if you want to do the 71 miler you need to up the mileage - you can't use those newbies as an excuse! ;-)
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a guy out yesterday. Shows up with a $20 garage sale bike. 20-25 lbs of air in his tires. After a shot of air from my pump, we were off. The guy made 22 miles pretty easily. I was thinking the whole ride, "what is the fastest route back" just in case. Didn't need it. He did just fine. He may jump into our group ride. He is gonna crap when we start pushing it on the way back though . He's a good guy and we usually "draw straws" to see who hangs back. Not long ago I was the one that got the benefit of the guy that got the short straw . Pay it forward...

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)