Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Banned
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Independence Day

I hope all the Americans onboard 50+ have a wonderful and safe 4th of July with friends and family. Whatever your plans, enjoy!

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on riding tomorrow morning then we're heading over to some friends for BBQ, dogs, and the usual cookout food.
    Stay safe everyone.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And belated good wishes for Canada Day.
    In the Anonymity of the Internet Everyone is an Expert

My Bikes
    Too many to count
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do an early ride and then stay home. We don't boat on
    holidays, ain't safe on the lake, in fact it ain't safe on
    week ends so we boat on week days..
    Hope to row a few hour on Tuesday.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Local Fireworks Store signage: Buy 1, Get 5 Free!!!
    I resisted the urge.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have spent a delightful day-and-a-half w/ son #1, working in the garage and changing the timing belt and water pump on his 2002 Audi A4. He enjoys visiting and working on projects, just as I used to w/ my now-deceased father-in-law. Over the years, some of my best quality time and best discussions w/ my boys have occurred in the garage while we diagnosed and resolved problems or just worked on routine wrench-turning.

Today I was very pleased to hear a great deal of holiday-appropriate music in church, w/ the National Hymn as the organ prelude, America the Beautiful as the processional, and Stars and Stripes Forever as the organ postlude, plus a timely sermon on the Statue of Liberty and our associate pastor's paternal grandfather's emigration from Ireland. On the way out of church, I thanked her and the organist for giving me an uplifting Fourth of July celebration a day early.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, jdon, and a belated Happy Canada Day to you! Let me add, you look rather dashing in your RCMP uniform!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all party hearty on the Fourth and not to far into the fifth you hear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a ride in yesterday, today was rainy, so I did some long over due maintenance. And I did something I wanted to do for a while, I ground off the lawyer lips on one of my bikes, I hate them. Maybe kayaking tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.
    And here is a gift for you all, http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll head out for a ride in the morning while the DVR starts recording the TdF coverage so I can watch it and zip through the commercials until I catch up. Then I'll be pulling for Tyler Ferrar to bring one home for the USA on Independence Day!

We'll be heading to a 4th of July party in the afternoon to enjoy some burgers and beer etc. with good friends.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A trail ride, a stop at the flea market and a visit to mother-in-law in rehab. It's her wedding anniversary.
    Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our normal weekend ride at the MUP and then home for some R&R. Might drive up the road to see the grandkids, but not sure on that as they may be headed to the beach. Everyone here in the US, enjoy the holiday and keep it safe.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an article about the Bristol Fourth of July Parade which is a big time event for a small town. http://www.projo.com/news/content/PA...v13.6a0bd.html Yesterday I rode the bike to the high school which is a staging area for the parade. I spoke briefly with a girl who told me her band was from Austin, Texas. Those kids spend a good part of their summer doing this.

Today I'll ride my bike downtown to watch the parade and then cruise the bike path to see what I can see.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to indulge my inner slug, no biking or hiking or much else for that matter. I needed a break
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did my usual Stone Mountain ride today. I was surprised that no other cyclists were wearing some kind of patriotic jersey. I was the only one. Everyone had on the usual hi-viz or team jersey.
    At least the few motorists who passed me gave a little more respect.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    42 miles today. Last 20 in a thunder storm (see lightning thread). Had two dogs stay with us for about a mile early in the ride. They were not chasing but running along with us having some fun, tongues flailing and tails wagging (see latest dog thread ). Saw no Hummers or big SUVs (see whatever current thread/argument).

Happy Fourth of July! Pop some firecrackers and/or crank off a few rounds!!!!!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Did my usual Stone Mountain ride today. I was surprised that no other cyclists were wearing some kind of patriotic jersey. I was the only one. Everyone had on the usual hi-viz or team jersey.
    At least the few motorists who passed me gave a little more respect.
    I realized this morning that I no longer have any bike duds with a red white and blue color scheme. Up until this year, my blue and white bike only needed a red jersey to complete it, but now with a black bike or a mustard colored one, I am without options. I'll make sure to have a good RW&B option next year.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Neil_B
    Did a ten mile ride to the Hartville Marketplace and back. I had an American flag on the back of my bike trailer.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My stoker and I rode the Screamer in our neighborhood's annual July 4th parade. Lots of men, women and children on bikes, in strollers and wagons, or walking. All led by a police cruiser going no faster than little kids on their 16"-wheeled bikes. This was a good training exercise for "How Slow Can You Go on a Tandem"? Somewhere between 2 and 3 mph in spots.

RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    My stoker and I rode the Screamer in our neighborhood's annual July 4th parade. Lots of men, women and children on bikes, in strollers and wagons, or walking. All led by a police cruiser going no faster than little kids on their 16"-wheeled bikes. This was a good training exercise for "How Slow Can You Go on a Tandem"? Somewhere between 2 and 3 mph in spots.

Love these pictures!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I decided to indulge my inner slug, no biking or hiking or much else for that matter. I needed a break

I did, too after some one armed gardening, I attended a poolside BBQ where the host had a state of the art blender that produced shaved ice. They made lovely Rum-runners. I had two. Strictly for medicinal purposes-- the bad arm, you understand.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miss Kenton, Well, two days off the bike. 3July was a cookout at my sister's with all the family (a yearly tradition) we could round up and today it was small town parades with a fireworks display after dark.

My older daughter (primary fruit of my loins cyclist) with her 16 month old (her 5 week old stayed home):
    4July2011 002.jpg

A couple of pics for atmosphere:
    4July2011 011.jpg 4July2011 046.jpg

Brad

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    ...And I did something I wanted to do for a while, I ground off the lawyer lips on one of my bikes, I hate them.
    That's always the first thing I do anytime I get a new fork or frame. It's called a "dropout" for a reason. When I release the front wheel, it drops out. No unthreading the QR. In 40 years of riding, I have NEVER had a front wheel with QR come off.

For the 4th, I usually pull out my old US team jersey from my masters racing trip to Ukraine in 1990 or thereabouts. The blue is faded in spots, but it still fits just fine, as I would expect from continuous cycling.

For the 1st (Canada Day), I usually wear a Canadian national championship jersey I won on the track some years back in Masters. Well, so much for blowing my own horn (rather boorish, sorry!); it's mostly been 2nd places at most of the nationals I've gone to. I've stopped racing, but it's nice having the jerseys to wear on these special occasions.

L.

Hebden Bridge, W. Yorks, UK (Brontė country)
    My Bikes
    Road: Al Cannondale, Steel Basso. MTB: Steel hardtail.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I'll head out for a ride in the morning while the DVR starts recording the TdF coverage so I can watch it and zip through the commercials until I catch up. Then I'll be pulling for Tyler Ferrar to bring one home for the USA on Independence Day!
    SPOILER ... And he did it - nice ride! ... SPOILER!!!
    Filippo Pozzato's NAKED SIDI bike shoes ad - WTF were they thinking!
    My Mk2 Crud Roadracer fenders review (do you actually LIKE that dirty wet stripe up your back?)