Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why?

Old 10-29-05, 10:41 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was reminded of many other good reasons today...

We did a longer ride today - 56 miles when all was said and done. It was a very nice day here for October 29th. Highs in the mid 60s, a bit windy, but otherwise gorgeous. Along the way we encountered hawks, an eagle, and a flock of Redwing Blackbirds and Grackles that strecthed for about 1/2 mile. It was quite a sight to see them take off and watch the flock swell and move as they'd switch direction. I've never seen a flock of birds this big.

We took one good break and a few quick roadside breaks and just enjoyed the day.

I can't think of a better reason to ride.

Steve
Old 10-30-05, 08:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are so many reasons why I ride and last evening as I was doing my 15 mile ride in the rural route near my home, I heard a noise to my left and saw a Doe and her young only 50 feet from the roadside, it was a beautiful sight and one I never get tired of seeing as I ride. I think many people who go thru life in fast forward will never understand how good cycling makes me feel.
Old 10-30-05, 12:31 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glassman
There are so many reasons why I ride and last evening as I was doing my 15 mile ride in the rural route near my home, I heard a noise to my left and saw a Doe and her young only 50 feet from the roadside, it was a beautiful sight and one I never get tired of seeing as I ride. I think many people who go thru life in fast forward will never understand how good cycling makes me feel.
You had a good experience with wildlife, but last Saturday on my night ride, I had a couple of worries.
First of all a pheasant flew up from under my front wheel. The noise it made worried me a bit at the time, as I was riding on minimum lights to conserve battery life. Second scare came when I picked out a Deer in the helmet lamp. This was about the only part of the track that was fenced on either side with 4' high wire fences, and the area between was 20'. As soon as I caught sight of the deer, it turned and charged towards me. This was a big deer with antlers, and it came at me at a fair rate of knots. When it was about 50yards away, I stopped the bike and got off. Just about to throw the bike at the deer and jump the fence and it veered off to the right and jumped the fence. That had me worried, and from then on it was full lights and a good size stone in my pocket to give me some comfort. Saw another couple of deer on the rest of the ride, but luckily a lot smaller and a lot more timid. Mind you, Any noise from the undergrowth had me reaching for my pocket. Thank goodness we don't have the real "Wild" life that other countries experience.

The joys of just being in the fresh country air is fantastic, along with the country smells and sights, but this is one encounter with nature I do not want again.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-30-05, 12:41 PM
Riding a bitsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Knots? With nautical deer, just demand that they heave to.
Old 10-30-05, 01:09 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of hostile wildlife, a couple of mornings ago, it was a Doberman for me....no antlers, but lotsa teeth. I would have put Tom Boonen to shame for about 100 yards before I collapsed!

**Slide, I enjoyed your "heave to" comment. Makes me wonder if anyone here is a fan of Charles Obrien's Aubrey/Materin series of novels (Master&Commander, etc.)? (Turn this forum into the the Gentlemen's Cycling and LIterary Society.)
Old 10-30-05, 01:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ex Navy (Well Royal Marine really But They don't get close enough to the sea)

If you want Historical Naval Novels-- Alexander Kent.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 10-30-05 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-30-05, 06:09 PM
WATERFORD22

Bikes: Bilenky, Co-Motion, 1969 Paramount, Waterford Adventure Cycle, Waterford rs 22, 1980 Davidson etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding for 39 years - one of my sons raced internationally - took up riding a tandem a few years ago with my spouse and in the last 18 months we put in 4000 miles together. I am a bike nut and more into building them up insteading of riding them. I think about them daily - they are moving art in my eyes. The winter is about to set in here in Seattle and although I not a total fair weather rider - rain and cold is not my favorite past time and I am striving to keep my passion going throughout the winter. Most of my friends are my age or older and are bike nuts as well - and most of theirs wives as also. As to why am I like the way am about bikes - I can't figure it out, but the compulsion in so strong - and it give a reason to get up each morning and start my day.

" Alias the Bike Nut"
Old 10-30-05, 07:37 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Why did I take up Bicycling at this late age?

1. I need the excercise because I don't have any other serious excercise program. While I have not lost the weight I wanted to lose, I certainly have increased my flexibility.
2. My 2 sons and I like to ride mountain bikes together, which allows me to stay closer to them. As the TV ad says, this is priceless.
3. I love mechanical work as a hobby. I'm not sure what I enjoy more, setting a new personnal best on the mountain or path trail or working on one of our bikes. We started the year with three bikes, now we have nine. Over half of these bikes are old and most required some adjustment and/or repair to get back on track.
Old 10-30-05, 08:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is an interesting story about a bike rider attacked by a deer.
https://www.teamjudson.com/articles/kenny.pdf
Old 10-30-05, 09:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to see some wildlife on my rides, mostly foxes, some beaver, snakes, owls (I think they're especially cool), hawks, herons, and egrets. So, contained therein, is my answer to the thread: Each time has the potential for adventure or a memory. Once, on a windy day, I noticed something a few feet above me. I looked up and, heading into the wind like me, was a redtail hawk carrying a small rodent in its beak. Because of the wind, we were pretty much on the same pace for about 20 seconds and it seemed like an eternity. Today, was my first ride in colder, wet weather and it was an adventure. I was pretty much alone where I rode due to the time, the weather, and it being Sunday. Loved it.

By the way, Billy, check your PM's. I left some new information about the jersey from today's ride.

Cheers
Old 10-30-05, 09:13 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The very best unexpected pleasure on a ride was when I came across a herd? of deer. They were all does and fawns and were out in a meadow. The does were playing with each other and with the fawns, running and chasing, much like dogs might do when play fighting. They kept this up for a few minutes, and I wish I had a video camera, as I have seen a lot of deer, but never anything like this before.

Aha! Along came Mr. Buck in all his majesty. He had been watching from the edge of the meadow, and when his presence became manifest, ALL playing stopped and it was business as usual.

It is things like this that add joy and spice to my riding!
Old 10-30-05, 11:39 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is an interesting story about a bike rider attacked by a deer.
That is funny! Reminds me of early this summer, when Linda and I were camping at Willow River State Park in Wi. The road into the park is long and windy and almost all the way down hill. It was in the afternoon, so full daylight, and Linda was rolling fast down this hill about 100 feet in front of me and off to the right I see this dear come tearing down this hill at about a 30 degree angle to her and running in the same direction at her. Linda had to have been going 20mph at least as it was a good hill, and she saw it coming.

I don't think I've ever seen a dear run this fast. His legs, front and back were extending straight out on every stride, like he was trying to fly, and I could hear his hoofs beating the ground. He came off the hill and right onto the road at Linda. When he hit the road at full gallop, he skidded a bit, which probably bought Linda JUST enough time to make it by him safely, cause he ran right by as she went past.

I was laughing my behind off it was so funny. I could hardly control my bike I was laughing so hard. It was really one of the funniest things I've ever seen. There was poor Linda trying to control her bike with this hundred pound beast galloping down this hill in full stride right at her, and I know she could hear his hoofs pounding too. She was looking ahead, then looking at him, then looking ahead, then looking at him....

Oh my... ahhhh... deep breath.... hooooo....

Anyway, it was a hoot and it all turned out ok. We went back to our site and had a nice BBQ steak and a couple of fake beers and had a good laugh about it.

Wildlife definately adds to the experience to be sure.

Steve