Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm overwhelmed...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm overwhelmed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-05, 10:53 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm overwhelmed...

I'm about to take a ride with TWO new accessories at the same time. New gloves, since I wore out the old ones, and a new Third Eye helmet mirror, since I've tried the handlebar mirror and found it, um, wanting.

I'm not sure I can contain myself with all this excitement -- nor have I any idea how I'll focus, given two new toys to think about at the same time.

Wish me luck.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-27-05, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, what a coincidence. Those are exactly the two things I have listed next on my to buy list. Hoping you post how the Third Eye works out.

What brand of gloves did you get?
Old 10-27-05, 11:14 AM
slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Road Sport, peugeot UO-10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We understand completely, we all feel the thrill with new components.

I have fancy handlebars arriving next week, along with new cables & wrap.
I don't know how I'll survive the long winter until that first spring ride.
Sadly, riding season is almost over in upstate NY.
Old 10-27-05, 11:22 AM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the helmet mounted mirror; if for no other reason than if I can't see behind me I know I forgot my helmet.
Old 10-27-05, 11:45 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not sure about the mirror, but gloves are one of the personal items that you get to eventually find the correct pair for you. I always used the fingerless gloves, and providing they fitted, felt ok and were cheap enough, then I bought them. Only problem was- I kept buying them as at the price I was paying- they were not very good quality. I have a picture of me taken about 30 months ago and I am wearing a pair of full length finger gloves made by scott. They cost £25, about $40, so are not cheap, Difference is they are still comfortable and I am still wearing them. Instead of 3 cheap pairs a year- 1 pair for over 2 years.

Quality cost's but I doubt as to whether I will be tempted to spend $40 again for such a mundane item of clothing, Unless I lose these gloves as at this rate- I will never wear them out.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-27-05, 12:45 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm back.

Turns out the Third Eye mirror sucks. To be more specific, the mounting mechanism sucks. It's a plastic so-called clamp that I found so difficult to mount and stay in place that I gave up, and reinstalled a simple handlebar mirror instead. The Third Eye will be returned.

The gloves are an inexpensive brand from Performance Bikes, they're called Men's Classic CoolMax Lycra gloves, and the label promises that they will keep you cooler and drier while providing a great fit. They come with "genuine" leather palms, which are, according to the labe, "supple and durable." The "thick foam padding protects you against road shock," while the "terry thumb [is] to wipe away sweat."

They were $12.99, on sale for $9.99. And while I agree with Stepfam's philosophy in general, I couldn't bring myself to spend much more than this on gloves. Then again, I'm probably not as hard on them as he may be, nor do I ride nearly as much. In any event, they seemed fine. A bit thicker in the palm than my old Sere gloves, but that may becasue they're new. After a couple of miles I didn't even think about them.

Anyway, I'm still irritated with the Third Eye. Hmmmph.

Old 10-27-05, 01:47 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
I have used the 3d eye with the plastic clamp that attaches to the visor and found it to be quite useful. There are two other versions I think, one that glues to the helmet and one that clamps to eyeglass frames. The visor clamp stays where you put it and I have two, in continuous use for the past 5yrs. Steve
Old 10-27-05, 02:13 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary....I've also used the attach-to-your-sunglasses mirrors for years with no problems. The plastic (about $9) mirrors eventually break but not until you've gotten a few seasons from them. There are more interesting boutique types made from recycled spokes and such that vibrate less and clamp on more simply and securely....maybe another poster can remember their make...available on-line.

Oddly, I've had good success with Performance Century (bit a gel in the palms) gloves--one grade up from your $10 Perf. gloves. More value for me than more expensive pairs I've tried. For me, they've lasted longer and been about as comfy as the more $$ competition.
Old 10-27-05, 03:21 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
I have used the 3d eye with the plastic clamp that attaches to the visor and found it to be quite useful. There are two other versions I think, one that glues to the helmet and one that clamps to eyeglass frames. The visor clamp stays where you put it and I have two, in continuous use for the past 5yrs. Steve
Based on your input, Steve, I tried once again to mount the doggone mirror to my (Trek) helmet visor and it was hopeless. It could be that my particular helmet just doesn't work with this particular clamp, but in any case, it ain't gonna work. I may try the sunglass model.

Old 10-27-05, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The Third Eye mirror is plastic. For a good mirror that attaches to your glasses, try this metal one. A guy in my club makes his own version of these, and they work great.

https://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH
Old 10-27-05, 08:10 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Gary-I tried several mirrors a few years ago and just plain gave up on them. I have now put in about 15,000 miles since trying to use them and have never found one that would work. Maybe it's just me but I get along just fine without one. However, I tried and avoid riding in high traffic areas so that might make a difference.

Gloves......I did just like you and bought some lower cost Performance gloves when I first started riding. I found them to be "okay". Howver, over time the black coloring in the leather stained my hands and the leather got rather stiff and tough. I am now using Pearl Izumi's full fingered gloves with gel inserts (got on sale for $25) and will probably be able to use those indefinitely.

Good luck with your new gadgets!! I just get excited with different colored tires and new flashing lights!!

My big purchase for '06 will probably be new bottle cages!!
Old 10-27-05, 08:22 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I gave up on ANY glove with leather in it - leather doesn't survive the washing machine well. I prefer non-leather gloves with fabric & synthetics only.
Old 10-27-05, 08:55 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary -- I've been using the Third eye mirror sunglass adapter just fine for the past two weeks....Although I took a look at the previous posters link for the Bike Peddeler mirror (from REI) and I'm thinking of getting it because the mirror looks bigger.... I was holding the Third Eye helmet adapter in my hand and I concluded that the clamp did not look like it would fit my helmet... (after reading your experience, I think I may have been right)
Old 10-28-05, 07:55 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Applehead57
Sadly, riding season is almost over in upstate NY.

It's OCTOBER man! In upstate NY you guys are supposed to be under 7 feet of snow and starving like the Donner party.

Meanwhile here in California I was complaining that it's a little chilly for short sleeve jerseys. Not TOO chilly mind you, but a little chilly.

It rained last night but everything will be dry by the time I get off work. I don't be able to go for a ride since there's the laundry, grass to mow and a haircut to get that have been put off all week while I went riding.

It could be worse - I could live where the weather is REALLY nice.
Old 10-28-05, 07:58 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There's a guy locally here that makes rear view mirrors out of wire, tube and SQUARE mirrors. They clip onto your glasses and are very steady.

They work REALLY well but you have to have a good eye to use rear view mirrors and you soon lose the capability of looking back and maintaining a straight course.

I didn't use use them for a long time. Then I used them all the time. And now I switch off depending on the kind of ride.
Old 10-29-05, 11:25 AM
Rossy

Bikes: Trek 2300/Schwinn MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Havn't come across a third eye helmet mirror, whats it like?

Rossy
Old 10-29-05, 02:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was scouting out LeMond spin cycles today (none available to mid-November ), so I got some Pearl Izumi full-fingered gloves.
They felt so good, until my wife got home, said she loved the feel of them and took them for herself!!!

She said if I was good, she might let me borrow them sometimes.

Last edited by KeithA; 10-29-05 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-30-05, 08:11 PM
Touring senior

Bikes: Cannondale touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gary: hope you don't give up on the helmet/clip-on type mirror. I'm sold on them, but I am a bit predjudiced - a helmet mirror saved my life a few years ago. Don't know about the "Third Eye" brand, don't even know what kind mine is, but it has a glue-on pad that will fit practically any helmet. The problem I had is that after a month of touring the glue softened and it began to peel off, I literally sewed it to the helmet liner.

I did find that when I first tried it out, I was wondering why I had wasted my $s - it seemed so awkward and blocked my sight-lines to the left. But after about 3 rides I had it adjusted right, and didn't even notice it anymore. It's kinda like getting used to a set of bifocals - it takes a bit of getting used to, but soon you're thankful for the job it does.

Murray
Old 10-30-05, 08:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using this one for a couple of months. Takes a bit of tweaking at first on each ride but tends to stay put once its in place.

https://www.rei.com/product/2382.htm
Old 10-30-05, 11:59 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
The Third Eye mirror is plastic. For a good mirror that attaches to your glasses, try this metal one. A guy in my club makes his own version of these, and they work great.

https://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...cat=REI_SEARCH
Yup... that's the one. The Take-a-look mirror. I swear by ours. Great mirror. I am truly naked without it.

Steve