Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

40mph?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-11, 03:08 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by dahut
And commitment few of us will ever achieve. Not only are they supremely tuned athletes - but they didn't get that way overnight. The majority of them have been working up to it for many years.
800 miles a week? Holy crap!
I've done loaded tours that involved 100 miles a day... it really isn't so bad if you work up to it. Makes for a huge appetite though. I remember once going into a Pizza Hut and ordering a large pizza and salad and being asked if I wanted to wait for the rest of my party. "No thanks, I'll just eat it here." You should have seen her eyes as my mere 150LB self downed that pie.
Old 07-11-11, 03:10 PM

Bikes: domane trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My fastest going down a hill is 48.7mph

Last edited by apesrunner58; 07-11-11 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-11-11, 03:19 PM
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec
I've done loaded tours that involved 100 miles a day... it really isn't so bad if you work up to it. Makes for a huge appetite though. I remember once going into a Pizza Hut and ordering a large pizza and salad and being asked if I wanted to wait for the rest of my party. "No thanks, I'll just eat it here." You should have seen her eyes as my mere 150LB self downed that pie.
Thats what Im talking about!

I saw a pic of one of the TdF riders out for an injury. He was in McDonalds wolfing down 'Le Big Mac' and 'pomme frites.'
Old 07-11-11, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Don't know about training schedules, but the Garmin Connect logs of some of their actual TdF stages are kind of amazing. Here's an example from Stage 6 showing almost 300 Watts AVERAGE output over 4.5 hours

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/97548011
Ryder is impressive but there is something broken with that file. I uploaded it to Golden Cheetah and it is missing about 40 min of power data. It looks like his avg power for that stage was more like 236W.

Training Peaks provides ride data for Chris Anker Sorensen and Flecha which is quite interesting. I was hoping to see yesterday's data with Flecha in the break but it hasn't been posted yet.

Last edited by gregf83; 07-11-11 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 08:35 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak
My wife and I have moved to riding our tandem almost to the exclusion of our single bikes. Neither of us are nearly as strong as some posting here but we routinely get to 30+ on some fairly small hills here in North Texas. Our record top speed is about 40 mph on the tandem. On our singles we need a really big hill for that. I find that once over 30 on the downhill we can go just as fast putting our nose on the bars, pedals level and knees next to the top tube. After all we have to struggle up the next hill! Search the tandem forum for some real 50+ old speedsters. We are not that fast.
Can't beat tandems and recumbents for downhill runs..................we've switched to a recumbent tandem this year and am curious to find out if our max speeds increase on downward slopes. On the level, it does seem easier to maintain speed, once we attain that speed.
Old 07-12-11, 12:05 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Can't beat tandems and recumbents for downhill runs..................we've switched to a recumbent tandem this year and am curious to find out if our max speeds increase on downward slopes. On the level, it does seem easier to maintain speed, once we attain that speed.
So what is speed like on the uphill?

Downhill speed can be phenominal and we have caught several riders out that have tried to follow us. Ours is a full offroad beastie with Downhill spec wheels to take the hits of the trail and Top grade disc brakes. Suspension is via a set of Boxers so it will take all the hits we give it. That is fast --Downhill. On the flat and we get a solo rider come alongside us at around 20mph and we gradually raise the speed up to around 25. Then a couple of turns on the pedals and we are at 30 and the solo is gone.

But a tandem will soon show you when you have hit any gradient uphill. It is either flat or downhill-----OR uphill on those things.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-12-11, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
We climb at about the average of our two single bike climbing speeds. Tandems aren't slower than singles up hill they just loose all the advantage they have on the flats and downhill. This makes tandem riders think they are stronger than they really are and they end up with stronger riders on the flats - until a hill brings them back to earth so to speak.

Now two strong riders on a tandem are fast - Rode with my 24 year old son once as the stoker - WOW He is not really a bike rider but on a slight downhill where my wife and I struggle to maintain 30 mph we accelerated to 38 mph and slowed because he started to get nervous. The bike was flexing a little. He is a 200 lb young guy who just mashes the pedals. One old weak guy + one young untrained unskilled guy = 38 mph ...tandems are a blast.

Funny note - he rides a motorcycle.
Old 07-12-11, 08:30 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
So what is speed like on the uphill?

Downhill speed can be phenominal and we have caught several riders out that have tried to follow us. Ours is a full offroad beastie with Downhill spec wheels to take the hits of the trail and Top grade disc brakes. Suspension is via a set of Boxers so it will take all the hits we give it. That is fast --Downhill. On the flat and we get a solo rider come alongside us at around 20mph and we gradually raise the speed up to around 25. Then a couple of turns on the pedals and we are at 30 and the solo is gone.

But a tandem will soon show you when you have hit any gradient uphill. It is either flat or downhill-----OR uphill on those things.
Uphill, we are not so fast! On the bright side, the Screamer seems quite manageable at very slow speeds. We're still learning how to ride this thing.
Old 07-13-11, 03:00 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak
Now two strong riders on a tandem are fast - Rode with my 24 year old son once as the stoker - WOW He is not really a bike rider but on a slight downhill where my wife and I struggle to maintain 30 mph we accelerated to 38 mph and slowed because he started to get nervous. The bike was flexing a little. He is a 200 lb young guy who just mashes the pedals. One old weak guy + one young untrained unskilled guy = 38 mph ...tandems are a blast.

Funny note - he rides a motorcycle.
What kept you? Our Beastie weghs in at 400lbs all up weight and is slow uphill. Saying that- When we do peak on fitness we can keep the fast solos at bay on a 30 mile offride ride but that is not our type of riding--Or wasn't as we have come to our senses now.

This was us in 2004 on a 100 miler and we were a bit unhappy as we were not certain if the gate was open 1/2 way down Butser Hill and kept the speed down till we were certain it was open. If we knew the gate was open we are certain we would have done more than the 53.8mph we recorded. And that was offroad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
south downs way 2004 008.jpg (66.0 KB, 9 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 07-13-11, 04:09 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40 mph + --- i guess if i rode over the edge of a cliff i could do it.
Old 07-13-11, 08:32 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Specilized Roubaix Pro, Schwinn Paramount 1971, trek Remedy, AMP Mtn bike, Cannondale R700, Ibis hardtail,other old bikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Last spring I was visting friend in Santa Rosa, CA and while out on a ride a double paceline caught us on a slight downhill. It was Lipehiemer, Horner and the rest of the Radio Shack team on a " recovery ride". We tucked in at the back of the pack and were pulled along at about 30+ mph. When we hit the first hill 7 -9% they did not even slow down but joked with each other all the way up and dropped the t2o old guys like a empty muset bag. We are not slow. on good days we will do 4:20 centuries, and the Markleyvile ride every other year. These guys were still 2 months to the tour of California and still were in amazing shape.
Old 07-14-11, 01:05 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
And back to that 40mph. Stage 11 and a breakaway up the road and the pelaton decided to chase. It was persisting down and the breakaway were a good group with some strong riders and 3 minutes up the road and just on the limit of distance left to be caught. Mptor bike shot and they were doing 80 kph on the flat. That is 50mph and had to keep that speed for many miles before the 6 riders in front were caught.

And I hate think what speed the sprint for the line got to in the rain.

Spike Milligan