Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40mph?

How in the heck?!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's a lot of watts, ain't it?

They are young and very very strong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
    that's a lot of watts, ain't it?

They are young and very very strong.
    +1
    Their weight to strength ratio, lung capacity and overall engine puts them in a class not many can ever achieve. I was impressed when I learned that the average cycling enthusiast might cycle 100 to 200 miles a week, but those in the pro peloton are kicking it at 700 to 900 miles a week. It is also my understanding that with that level of training recovery is critical. Hence two hours of sleep for every hour in the saddle is the minimum these people need. Just awesome riders.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish the TV coverage would elaborate more on these athletes abilities and the range of abilities from the average cyclist all the way up to these guys. also amazing is that they can keep this up for 3 weeks!

will a woman ever participate in this event?
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but they're smiling at the camera and still going 40.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically I should be able to do 40+ mph based on my 5" peak power watts of 1,258. However I have only been able to generate that while power sprinting up steep short hills or at the beginning of a sprint while getting up to speed. Now if I could just follow a wheel @ 36 - 37 mph then "go around" and hit my sprint perfectly ... Man I wish it could work out that way, if only just once.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    I wish the TV coverage would elaborate more on these athletes abilities and the range of abilities from the average cyclist all the way up to these guys. also amazing is that they can keep this up for 3 weeks!
    +1 Its amazing what they are able to do.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40 mph is easy- Find the hill and take a run at it----By the time you reach the bottom- 40mph.

And if you think that is fast--Compare their average speed for the 190Kms in comparison to your highest speed on a flat ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have hit 38 mph a couple of times on the flats with a draft. I was starting to spin out in my 53/13. If you have enough strong young riders, you can go really, really fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the fastest I can pull myself is 30 and that isn't for very long

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    '01 Lemond MJ, '96 Pinarello Dyna
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do it all the time. But, then I wake up. And it still hurts.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Technically I should be able to do 40+ mph based on my 5" peak power watts of 1,258. However I have only been able to generate that while power sprinting up steep short hills or at the beginning of a sprint while getting up to speed. Now if I could just follow a wheel @ 36 - 37 mph then "go around" and hit my sprint perfectly ... Man I wish it could work out that way, if only just once.
    Hey 'Jet... Carpediemracing, a sprinter who is 'BF active', (sort of like being HIV positive, I sometimes think) and has a nice blog with videos, trains using a hill to provide the leadout. Use the hill to get up to speed, then kick when you transition onto the flat. I bet your 5" power will get you over 40. He also says his bursts to gain speed are typically just a few pedal strokes - you need to be able to instantly apply that 1,200+ watts of power. His FTP is really low, but he wins a lot of races applying his 1,250 watts at just the right time.

I intend to greatly increase my 5" power for next year.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... Now if I could just follow a wheel @ 36 - 37 mph then "go around" and hit my sprint perfectly ... Man I wish it could work out that way, if only just once.
    It's time to buy Mrs AlleJet a Vespa and teach her how to ride @ 37 mph...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    Hey 'Jet... Carpediemracing, a sprinter who is 'BF active', (sort of like being HIV positive, I sometimes think) and has a nice blog with videos, trains using a hill to provide the leadout. Use the hill to get up to speed, then kick when you transition onto the flat. I bet your 5" power will get you over 40. He also says his bursts to gain speed are typically just a few pedal strokes - you need to be able to instantly apply that 1,200+ watts of power. His FTP is really low, but he wins a lot of races applying his 1,250 watts at just the right time.

I intend to greatly increase my 5" power for next year.
    It is something I need to work on but don't include any of the really high power stuff in my training other than nailing short steep hills. In yesterday's road race at 450 meters to go there was a sharp left, a slight incline with a RR crossing then a sharp right with 350 meters to the finish. I was sitting 2nd wheel before the first turn and attacked out of the turn. On the short straight between turns I went OTS and hit 1,090 for a 5” PP then out the final turn I hit 950 watts for a 5" PP while OTS and peaked @ 30.9 mph. I looked back once seated and the others were just finishing the turn so I just rode in the last 200 meters and never really sprinted.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
    It's time to buy Mrs AlleJet a Vespa and teach her how to ride @ 37 mph...
    After our recent picture taking episode, when I needed a good image of my TT position while riding, I don't think that is a good idea.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked back once seated and the others were just finishing the turn so I just rode in the last 200 meters and never really sprinted.
    Did you notice a "my soul was just crushed" look on their faces?
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are awesome!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bigbadwullf,

40 MPH under which conditions? Max sprint speed? Lead-out speed for a sprint? Going downhill? You get my drift.

The most impressive 70 KPH speedometer reading (about 43 MPH) that I've seen so far in this year's TdF was during the team time trial (TTT). It was probably slightly downhill with a tailwind but from the camera shot of the last rider just before the speedometer reading, the rider was in his highest gear and was not spun out.

The TTT is one of my personal, favorite races. I don't get to do a TTT more than once or twice each year but for me they are generally very satisfying and fun. I did our district championship TTT about a month ago and we were able to average 26.5 MPH for 23 miles. We averaged a little over 30 MPH for the tailwind straight that was slightly uphill (big tailwind ).

I hit 40 MPH with some regularity but all cases involve going downhill. My max sprint speed is 34-36 MPH with a good lead out and a tailwind.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleave View Post
    My max sprint speed is 34-36 MPH with a good lead out and a tailwind.
    Aren't leadouts about the most fun thing in cycling? A friend led me out during a group ride on a slight decline - what a blast!

So tell me, is hitting 40 with a leadout an attainable goal for a 55+ racer? I want to get there, but I'm not sure whether it's attainable or not. I intend to give it a shot. I should calculate the watts requirement.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hats off to you guys that are over 55, racing and still obtaining those speeds. I don't know where you find the time to do all that training because the articles that I have read about the pro circuit riders is that this is their job and they train daily for pretty much of the day. I feel really great when I am on something like a charity ride and I constantly pass younger riders on more expensive, lighter weight bikes. I can't imagine how you guys feel when you do the same and there is more at stake than just finishing the ride.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    +1
    Their weight to strength ratio, lung capacity and overall engine puts them in a class not many can ever achieve. I was impressed when I learned that the average cycling enthusiast might cycle 100 to 200 miles a week, but those in the pro peloton are kicking it at 700 to 900 miles a week. It is also my understanding that with that level of training recovery is critical. Hence two hours of sleep for every hour in the saddle is the minimum these people need. Just awesome riders.
    And commitment few of us will ever achieve. Not only are they supremely tuned athletes - but they didn't get that way overnight. The majority of them have been working up to it for many years.
    800 miles a week? Holy crap!
    "Watch out for giants; they are boorish fools with tongues wagging, drunk upon their own words.
    They will try to teach you a lesson if given the chance, and you will stumble over their stinking feet."

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a ride last week, I'd been pulling at 24 for a bit over 2 miles when one of the guys sling-shotted past me for the final sign sprint. That's OK, I was leading them out on purpose, but I expected several guys to go for it. Since there was just one, I decided it was up to me to give him a challenge. He was doing 34 mph when I coasted up alongside him, made a show of hitting the brakes, and asked him if he had any Grey Poupon. He lost the sprint. They hate it when I do that! I don't think I quite hit 40, though. I'll never know for sure because my speedo wasn't working. I just know my 53/12 was red lined.

Holding 40 mph, even in a group, is very impressive. Maybe they're running 56T or 58T chainrings?

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    On a ride last week, I'd been pulling at 24 for a bit over 2 miles when one of the guys sling-shotted past me for the final sign sprint. That's OK, I was leading them out on purpose, but I expected several guys to go for it. Since there was just one, I decided it was up to me to give him a challenge. He was doing 34 mph when I coasted up alongside him, made a show of hitting the brakes, and asked him if he had any Grey Poupon. He lost the sprint. They hate it when I do that! I don't think I quite hit 40, though. I'll never know for sure because my speedo wasn't working. I just know my 53/12 was red lined.

Holding 40 mph, even in a group, is very impressive. Maybe they're running 56T or 58T chainrings?
    Impressive. But if your speedometer wasn't working, how exactly do you know you were pulling at 24 and that he was doing 34 when you pulled up to him? Just asking.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    How in the heck?!
    More than ever I am convinced that there are aliens living among us. (And I do not mean illegal immigrants).

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Most of them run 53... there may be a few larger rings - not sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast