User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Allez 56cm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there, just wanted to introduce myself!

Since I am 54 and imagine I will be frequenting this and the "Road" forums mostly. I haven't gotten a bike yet. But will next weekend I think, I found a Specialized Allez, with a bunch of extras, Cateye wireless computer, Speed Play pedals, Profile Aero bar,(not really going to use that I doubt,,,) it has a light on the back of the seat, took kit and bag. The seller has liftime tuneups with it, he's going to take it in this week and have it gone over. Then I'll look at it next weekend. See what happens. Either way, I am looking to find a bike, and will get one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTjr View Post
    Since I am 54 and imagine I will be frequenting this and the "Road" forums mostly. I haven't gotten a bike yet. But will next weekend I think, I found a Specialized Allez, with a bunch of extras, Cateye wireless computer, Speed Play pedals, Profile Aero bar,(not really going to use that I doubt,,,) it has a light on the back of the seat, took kit and bag. The seller has liftime tuneups with it, he's going to take it in this week and have it gone over. Then I'll look at it next weekend. See what happens. Either way, I am looking to find a bike, and will get one.
    Welcome

Pictures required

Good luck on the road forum.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, welcome to the forum. You will no doubt find the place and the people informative. Good luck on your purchase. When did you last purchase a bike? And, what was it?
    1974 Mizutani Super Seraph Road Bike
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thanks for stopping in. Please come by and visit often.

We're always anxious to share the joys of each others accomplished goals and great rides, so feel free to share.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last bike was a Schwinn 10 speed, 26". In fact I took it into the shop, (it's like a 1970) to see what it'd take to make it roadworthy,, couple hundred dollars. I figured I'd put another 300 with that and get a much more updated bike. I have not ridden avidly as an adult. But just like many others I have seen on here. I am hoping to save my knees, since running is hard on them. I am in the Air Force Reserves, so I still have to pass a fitness test. I'm 54, 5' 9.5" or so, 175 lbs. Hoping to get down to the mid 160s with more exercise. I most certainly will post pictures when I get a bike. I am planning to get involved with the local bike club here, http://www.seyborocyclists.org/ anyone hear of a guy named "Diesel Dave" who got hit by a car several years back? He's in this club, and works at the bike shop I have been talking to, and will use for parts/accessories and service. The first ride I'll do, is a "beginners" ride on the following Tuesday after I get the bike. If the beginners isn't "Challenging" enough, then I'll try the intermediate, or one of the other rides they do that is in between them.

My Bikes
    Specialized
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look forward to hearing about your new bike & welcome. There's a good bunch of people on here, if you have a question, they've got an answer.
    If you want a lighter bike ? Eat more salads !!!!

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be very careful when buying any bike. Before you know it, you become an addict and you begin craving more and more saddle time. Then you spend what time you have off the saddle on-line looking at bike web sites and drooling for a nicer and faster bike. Trust me, it will happen to you.

Seriously, getting into cycling is the best thing I ever did. I only wish I had started it at a much younger age instead of at 63. I'm getting ready to turn 65 and believe it or not, what I wrote above did happen to me. I really think that you will enjoy it and hope that you don't get discouraged because you can't ride as fast or as long as other riders. It will come to you. I'm still trying to catch up to riders older than I am.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My name is JanMM and I am a bikaholic.
    It's not too late for you to turn away and go towards a more sedentary lifestyle.

Welcome and did you bring any pie for the rest of us?
    Don't spend too much money on your first bike because you will need more for your next bike.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I'll be spending in the neighborhood of 500.00 And this bike has tons of extras, and retailed for 800.00 ish new. I don't know how "Hooked" I'll get on Cycling,, I do have another two wheeler I need to share time with,, a 2010 Harley Street Glide! LOL,,,

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I'll be spending in the neighborhood of 500.00 And this bike has tons of extras, and retailed for 800.00 ish new. I don't know how "Hooked" I'll get on Cycling,, I do have another two wheeler I need to share time with,, a 2010 Harley Street Glide! LOL,,,
    Same problem I have. Sharing road time with my Masi and my two Ducatis. Where are you located?

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll echo DnvrFox's post - his welcome, and especially his wishing you luck in the road forum.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome,nice to have you be part of the fourm,but i do think you need to gain some weight.we will help you with that.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fun over in the road forum! They really enjoy entertaining new riders.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce, I am in the North Carolina area, living near Smithfield right now, (Around I-40 and I-95) We'll be buying a home down here someplace.
    I took a job over at Seymour Johnson AFB with the Reserves in an F-15E squadron.

Freedomrider,,, just why in the world would you want me to gain weight? LOL,, I am going to start biking to get into better shape! And loose another 15 lbs or so.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another welcome and keep us posted on your progress, rides, etc.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, JimTjr! I'm sure you will enjoy this forum. It's so refreshing to have you younger guys join!

My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Cannondale CAAD 10.3, Felt B16
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be a stranger here! We love hearing about other folks suffering on their bikes! ;~)

Welcome!
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, JimTjr. confirmed road cyclist here, and potential randonneur

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well darn, had a nice thread going over on the Road forum, it got locked. Simply was discussing the TDF and my new interest in biking,, got closed because "There are plenty of threads on TDF in the "Pro's forum" Well, I am hardly a pro,,, so I likely won't be posting over there.
    I guess they're pretty "Moderation" active here? I mean, really, the thread turned into more of a social environment, with some questions of mine being answered,, and some seeming to be a bit sarcastic and smart alec,, but I know that's going to happen on forums like this,,,I know.

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, don't let the Road Forum get you bent out of shape, seems the way of that bunch, there's lot's of other topic areas and you've picked a really GREAT on in the 50+, whatever bike you end up getting, ENJOY!!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to 50+ and I hope you get that bike soon.

=============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the pictures of the bike I am going to look at next weekend in Wilmington, It's a 56cm Specialized Alez double, it has speed play pedals, aero bars, tool kit and bag, cateye wireless computer, some kind of light on the seat. At 500.00 I think it's a pretty good deal. I am also well aware I won't be using the aero bars, and likely will take them off and put them on the shelf, or sell them. He's taking it to the shop he bought it from for one of it's "Lifetime tuneups" then when I go look at it, he said we could again, go to that same shop. They'd give opinion on fit. He also said the bike is "Mine" and he won't do anything until I look at it and decide it's not for me, if that's the case. Sure seems like a good individual. He put 400 miles on this, and maybe 5 hrs on that trainer. Said he got a great deal on a much better bike, (It was a brand new "Blem") I don't recall the make he bought, but that's why he's selling this.
    IMGP0241.jpgIMGP0243.jpgIMGP0242.jpgIMGP0246.jpgIMGP0245.jpgIMGP0244.jpg
    Last edited by JimTjr; 07-08-11 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well darn, had a nice thread going over on the Road forum, it got locked. Simply was discussing the TDF and my new interest in biking,, got closed because "There are plenty of threads on TDF in the "Pro's forum" Well, I am hardly a pro,,, so I likely won't be posting over there.
    I guess they're pretty "Moderation" active here? I mean, really, the thread turned into more of a social environment, with some questions of mine being answered,, and some seeming to be a bit sarcastic and smart alec,, but I know that's going to happen on forums like this,,,I know.
    Welcome, Jim. The professional forum is for fans of pro racing, not racers. It gets pretty weird there.
    The road forum is quite tame and quite dull compared to what it used to be, I rarely post there anymore but I used to really enjoy it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine I'll spend most of my time here, <Grin>

Yes, John, I saw that after I posted that reply, I spoke too fast on that one,
    Last edited by JimTjr; 07-08-11 at 05:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast