Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Somebody kick me please!!

    I'm in a funk waiting for my new bike to arrive and I really don't want to ride my cheapo schwinn. Somebody motivate me to get my miles count going for July!
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  2. #2
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't address the miles count, but I will encourage you to go ride your bike. It will help you be in better shape to get more out of the new bike and it will give you a fresher memory to compare to your new and improved ride.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Brew1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah what he said, it will make that new bike feel so much better...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    DePere, WI
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey.. not only will it get your miles up, but it will keep those muscles in the right "set" for getting on that new bike. You don't want to get onto the new bike and just assume it hurts because something is wrong with the bike!

    Not going to comment on the schwinn since thats ALL I have to ride until I come up with the means for my next bike!

  5. #5
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alphageek_gb View Post
    Hey.. not only will it get your miles up, but it will keep those muscles in the right "set" for getting on that new bike. You don't want to get onto the new bike and just assume it hurts because something is wrong with the bike!

    Not going to comment on the schwinn since thats ALL I have to ride until I come up with the means for my next bike!
    I'm sorry for ditzing the schwinn... I'm gonna take her out for a spin this evening. I really like my schwinn; just excited about the new bike.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  6. #6
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    5,582
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    I'm in a funk waiting for my new bike to arrive and I really don't want to ride my cheapo schwinn. Somebody motivate me ...
    Are you kidding? I put fat mushy 26" wheels on my road bike if the wheels are off getting repaired. I take my wife's comfort bike out if I have to. Anything is better than sitting in pining for the better bike.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Brew1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    My Bikes
    Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500
    Posts
    202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with a Schwinn, I just sold this one and will miss it....


  8. #8
    Senior Member MinnMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis
    My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    Are you kidding? I put fat mushy 26" wheels on my road bike if the wheels are off getting repaired. I take my wife's comfort bike out if I have to. Anything is better than sitting in pining for the better bike.
    +1 If I'm traveling and all that's available is an old rusted bike with springs underneath the seat, I'll ride it for sure. I've rented comfort bikes and I've salvaged and oiled old 10 speeds out of friend's basements. Any bike is better than no bike.

  9. #9
    Senior Member bigbadwullf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    West, Tn.
    Posts
    1,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I look at:
    The harder the bike is to ride, the more workout you get.

    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

    2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Middle of the road, NJ
    Posts
    2,124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A ride on a crappy bike, is better than no ride at all.
    Get out there.

  11. #11
    Century bound Phil85207's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mesa Arizona
    My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Posts
    2,249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the alternative in not to ride? What choice do you have? Go ride.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

    Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

    Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

    If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

    In God we trust

  12. #12
    el padre
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central Kansas
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Posts
    1,470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes...ride................and let us know when the new steed comes in,and give us a report.

  13. #13
    Senior Member skilsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not with the one you love, love the one you are with.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

  14. #14
    Senior Member rothenfield1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montereyish
    Posts
    2,326
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    I'm in a funk
    Someone should start a thread about this topic alone. Once you are in the groove of riding, it's much easier to motivate yourself to ride, even though there's other important stuff to do, even tough the weather isn't quite right, even though a thousand other excuses. When your in a groove of riding regularly, your body starts to need you to ride. When you haven't ridden in a while, when your in a "funk", it's really hard to get that first ride in again to get the ball rolling.

    It's for this reason that I think you should ride your Schwinn, or whatever you have on-hand to keep the momentum going. Then, when you get your new bike, it will feel that much more special.

  15. #15
    Around now and then DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Around now and then
    Posts
    20,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rothenfield1 View Post
    Someone should start a thread about this topic alone. Once you are in the groove of riding, it's much easier to motivate yourself to ride, even though there's other important stuff to do, even tough the weather isn't quite right, even though a thousand other excuses. When your in a groove of riding regularly, your body starts to need you to ride. When you haven't ridden in a while, when your in a "funk", it's really hard to get that first ride in again to get the ball rolling.

    It's for this reason that I think you should ride your Schwinn, or whatever you have on-hand to keep the momentum going. Then, when you get your new bike, it will feel that much more special.
    I think one aspect is that some folks think that every ride must be a "ride" - all suited up in Lycra, heading out for 50+ miles or so. I believe that those who use their bicycle in everyday life and can be as happy on a 2 mile ride to the store in their Levis as doing a 50+ miler tend to see bicycling in a different perspective.

    Therefore, a "ride" is not such a humungous event, it is just everyday life.

    And, I have nothing against 50+ milers.

    JMHO
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

  16. #16
    Senior Member rothenfield1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montereyish
    Posts
    2,326
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I think one aspect is that some folks think that every ride must be a "ride" - all suited up in Lycra, heading out for 50+ miles or so. I believe that those who use their bicycle in everyday life and can be as happy on a 2 mile ride to the store in their Levis as doing a 50+ miler tend to see bicycling in a different perspective.

    Therefore, a "ride" is not such a humungous event, it is just everyday life.

    And, I have nothing against 50+ milers.

    JMHO
    Yes, this is true. And why I think it's nice to have a sort of beater all-around bike in your garage if you can. I have a very nice road bike which really takes quite a bit of motivation to put on the proper gear to ride. A good comfortable old shoe of a bike that one could jump on with jeans and tennys to ride around the neighborhood or local casual park trail is just the ticket to keep the fun alive when your in a funk.

  17. #17
    Around now and then DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Around now and then
    Posts
    20,806
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rothenfield1 View Post
    Yes, this is true. And why I think it's nice to have a sort of beater all-around bike in your garage if you can. I have a very nice road bike which really takes quite a bit of motivation to put on the proper gear to ride. A good comfortable old shoe of a bike that one could jump on with jeans and tennys to ride around the neighborhood or local casual park trail is just the ticket to keep the fun alive when your in a funk.
    I have 2 bikes on which I can use my "tennies" - or more likely my sandals. When I want to "ride" I can just go to the garage and hop on and go. No preparation, no nothing, just ride for as long or as short as is appropriate to the business at hand.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

  18. #18
    Senior Member cooking14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I live in hot TX
    My Bikes
    Roleigh SC7
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go ride now
    I can , I will , I did it cooool

  19. #19
    Senior Member ftwelder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    vermont
    My Bikes
    Many
    Posts
    3,093
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You are going to head out on your fancy new bike and get dropped my the kid on the walmart bike if you don't get out and start NOW!
    1886 Surrey machinists Invincible, 1900 Nashua, 1937 Raleigh Golden Arrow, 1938 Raleigh Silver Record, 1951 Armstrong tourmalet, 1970 Motobecane Grand Record, 1971 Raleigh Professional, 1971 Gitane TDF, 1972 Legnano Gran Primio, 1973, Peugeot PX-10, 1975 Roberts, 1984 Battaglin Giro, 1985 Grandis Speciale, 2012 FTW

    frankthewelder@comcast.net

    le prix s'oublie,la qualité reste ,(michel audiard)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •