Thread: A Sign?

My Bikes
    Trek 1200; Bilenky Viewpoint Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Sign?

I was reading over the forum, appreciating the wit and wisdom of getting gray, but feeling a bit melancholy, too. Last year at this time I was gearing up for a Centurion, having hauled out the Trek 1200 after ten years. I was riding daily, and remembering why I used to love cycling so much -- except, of course on those long steep hills, when I would ask myself why the H I put myself through it.

Well, the ride came and went; a month later I took a weekend off. It has stretched into nearly a year now, and the only spare tire I've been carrying is around my middle.

Just. In the middle of my mope, I heard a soft bang from down the hall. When i investigated, I found that my Centurion cycling cap had fallen off the closet shelf.

Someone is trying to tell me something, no?

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NixNuxSr View Post
    I was reading over the forum, appreciating the wit and wisdom of getting gray, but feeling a bit melancholy, too. Last year at this time I was gearing up for a Centurion, having hauled out the Trek 1200 after ten years. I was riding daily, and remembering why I used to love cycling so much -- except, of course on those long steep hills, when I would ask myself why the H I put myself through it.

Well, the ride came and went; a month later I took a weekend off. It has stretched into nearly a year now, and the only spare tire I've been carrying is around my middle.

Just. In the middle of my mope, I heard a soft bang from down the hall. When i investigated, I found that my Centurion cycling cap had fallen off the closet shelf.

Someone is trying to tell me something, no?
    It's a good thing that a Samurai sword didn't fall off the wall!!

Get out there and ride.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut the mope. Yes, it is trying to tell you something. What do you want out of the rest of your life? Are you thinking you are over the hill? BS. Get out there on your trusty steed and enjoy life. It took you a year to get a tire around your waist. It will take you a lot less time to lose it. I am 65 and thoroughly enjoy beating up on the younger crowd. Sure, I get spanked by more than a few of them, but I am just so grateful I am able to be out there doing what I love and living life to its fullest. WI has to be beautiful this time of year. Find a riding group that fits your current physical condition and desired goals and go ride with them.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go ahead mope. Curl up in front of your TV and maunder down that irrevocable descent to senescence and death. Probably you can find a forum for that too - for people who have given up on life.

OK, I admit - I'm going a bit over the top, here. Cycling avidly nearly every day is not the only way to seize control of your life and to maintain vitality. But on this forum, it's damned close.

You don't have to ride centuries to hang out here or to stay fit. You don't have to enjoy every ride. But remember this: THere are countless days when most of us kind of feel like skipping our rides, BUT WE DON'T and when we get out there and get past those cranky first couple of miles, we are deeply deeply grateful that we pushed ourselves out the door and into the world on two wheels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MinnMan is right, you do not need to do centuries. Just ride at your comfort level. If that does not work for you maybe cycling is not the tool for you to exercise. Look around and find something else.
    1974 Mizutani Super Seraph Road Bike
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's only a sign if you believe it to be so. Sound like you're leaning in the direction. If you need a nudge..... NUDGE.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's THE Day

Ride today. Only a 5-mile errand or visit to someplace you enjoy. Take a few deep breaths, pump up the tires, stretch a little, and do it. You'll be glad that you did. Good luck! Phil

the Bayou City perpetually under construction
    My Bikes
    2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cap fell off the shelf? That's positively metaphysical, er maybe even a bit synchronistic. Just do it. You might want to ditch the cap and buy a new helmet. Then you'll have to ride to justify the purchase. Go for it.
    "If we don't change direction, we will end up exactly where we are headed."

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW, the OP was a real eye-opener for me. I hadn't realized that there are some people who have trouble with motivation regarding cycling.

My problem is staying off the bike long enough to deal with the other challenges and obligations of life. Not to mention (but I will) recovery.

Amazing (in a good way!) the differences we all have as cyclists.

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GET OFF YOUR ASS AND RIDE!!!
    There somebody told you something, and the meaning is unambiguous.
    Some of the most pleaseant rewarding rides, are rides to nowhere. You don't always have to go far or fast, just go. Think of it as thearpy, for free.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and you heard the message.

Ride, ride, ride. If a hill is too long and steep just walk the rest.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough room. I didn't intend to come across so mopey, I was more fascinated by the cap falling from the shelf as I was browsing this forum. Anyway, I appreciate the (metaphysical) kick in the pants. I am planning to get out this weekend, either on our new tandem toy or on Rocinante, my trusty old Trek T1200 road bike. this is, after all, a cycling Mecca, especially for one who grew up in Nebraska.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ".....my Centurion cycling cap had fallen off the closet shelf." Someone is trying to tell me something, no?"

Aww, you probably just need a haircut!!

My Bikes
    Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are either living or dying...which one is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are people who live life and people who watch. Doers seem to have more fun than spectators. That said; there are seasons in people's iives. Maybe the cap was a seasonal message. Or, maybe the house shifted a bit and it just fell off
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a sign to me.

Best way to answer would be to air up the tires and go for a ride.
    I bet you would feel energzied, if just a bit.

Try it and report back.
    There, I dare you!

Jeff, still fat

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Throw the hat in the trash. Put the bike out by the curb. Someone will ride it.

Or

Go for a 5 mile ride.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding a bike is living in the moment. You have no choice. Not riding gives one time to pause and reflect...about WHAT? Dying? Becoming ill or losing some one you love? At 76 I am usually surrounded by people whose conversation often is totally depressing. I don't need that! Today I faced a stiff West wind and hills on a 31 mile ride in the bright sunshine. Have had more enjoyable rides but am not sorry I went out today, stopped and had a bite to eat and something to drink, saw houses, farms and horses and was surrounded by people LIVING! Have no intention to give it up until it becomes impossible. Not soon.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 76 I am usually surrounded by people whose conversation often is totally depressing. I don't need that!
    Truth at 72, also. Aarghh.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I needed that.

I think the feedback was just what i needed.

Just got back from a 15 mile ride on the tandem. Got my 14-year old daughter on, and we went down to the lakeside trail, stopped halfway and watched the ducks, and came home via the trails. The hills were a bi t of challenge -- easier on a tandem, though -- and it rained a bit on the way home. Not only was it refreshing for me, but it was inspiring to see the ride through her eyes; she's not very athletic and confessed on our ride that she's been hesitant to ride her own bike because she feels slow and weak and always spends too much time trying to shift or keep up with others. But as stoker she gets to experience the good stuff; later, I suspect, she'll be able to translate that into some solo riding.

Anyway, I was out again and I'm glad. Think i'll wear the centurion hat for a bit.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think i'll wear the centurion hat for a bit.

Post a pic of the hat.
    Nice ride.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem is staying off the bike long enough to deal with the other challenges and obligations of life. Not to mention (but I will) recovery.
    Ditto on that.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another sign

Taking things in another direction . . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images