Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warning on Used bikes.

The mate that has bought my old OCR3 has done several rides on it and this afternoon took it out for another short ride. Tomorrow I am taking him up a couple of hills and the bike has a problem. The front derailler is rubbing and it is annoying me. Riding alongside it and I keep getting this grinding noise. So when he got back I decided to adjust it. Took about 30 seconds and I took it up the road. Front changes perfectly- but BIG problem on the rear. It would change into lower gears but then stick there and not change down.

Ok- sticky cable and that is easy enough except it was one of the outer cables fraying at the end. I carry outer cable aswell as inners so Decided to change it for him- Might aswell put a new inner in aswell- well I had to as I had to cut the cable to get it to pull through the outer. Then I started swearing- Where are the outer cable ends? A couple of years ago I bought a pack of 100 so I knew I had some left---Somewhere. Didn't find them but eventually found one so I cut off the damaged end and replaced it. I always felt those gear cables were just a fraction too long

Bike is now sorted and both front and rear deraillers change perfectly.

So this is just a warning- If you buy a Used bike- don't trust that everything on it is perfect. It may have had little use in its life but it depends on how well that bike has been maintained as to how many problems you are going to have.

This bike looks as though it has been tucked away at the back of the shed and not been looked at in that length of time. Wonder how many faults I will find on my other bikes now
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want you as my neighbor! Can you move to Parker?
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    The mate that has bought my old OCR3 has done several rides on it and this afternoon took it out for another short ride. Tomorrow I am taking him up a couple of hills and the bike has a problem. The front derailler is rubbing and it is annoying me. Riding alongside it and I keep getting this grinding noise. So when he got back I decided to adjust it. Took about 30 seconds and I took it up the road. Front changes perfectly- but BIG problem on the rear. It would change into lower gears but then stick there and not change down.

Ok- sticky cable and that is easy enough except it was one of the outer cables fraying at the end. I carry outer cable aswell as inners so Decided to change it for him- Might aswell put a new inner in aswell- well I had to as I had to cut the cable to get it to pull through the outer. Then I started swearing- Where are the outer cable ends? A couple of years ago I bought a pack of 100 so I knew I had some left---Somewhere. Didn't find them but eventually found one so I cut off the damaged end and replaced it. I always felt those gear cables were just a fraction too long

Bike is now sorted and both front and rear deraillers change perfectly.

So this is just a warning- If you buy a Used bike- don't trust that everything on it is perfect. It may have had little use in its life but it depends on how well that bike has been maintained as to how many problems you are going to have.

This bike looks as though it has been tucked away at the back of the shed and not been looked at in that length of time. Wonder how many faults I will find on my other bikes now
    I've worked on a bike or two that have sat unused for extended periods for my friends. Unfailingly the bikes were perfect when stored and within twenty miles of having air pumped into their tires had some failure or another. I won't go on about the two auto shift bikes!

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've lived in the same house, with the same garage "shop" (really just a shelf) for 32 years. There are enough bike parts, tools etc lost in there that when I move, I'll be able to build three or four bikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used is used. You don't but something used and expect it to be perfect....or shouldn't. That is the definition of used. It isn't new. Heck, even new isn't always perfect.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This makes me think of this Craigslist ad that appeared recently, the ultimate "sat in the garage" bike. According to the seller, it was purchased 31 years ago and never ridden:

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/bik/2486971029.html
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So,Trombone, has this jewel now taken up residence in your stable? N+1 you know.

My Bikes
    2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a used Trek for my niece on ebay. I gave it what I thought was a thorough safety check and all seemed fine. It appeared to be straight "off the rack" with everything stock from the original purchase. I couldn't ride it myself as it is a 47cm with 650c wheels while I ride a 58cm.

For months I had a nagging feeling that the fit just wasn't right, but all the measurements and position seemed right. Finally I started to wonder if she needed shorter cranks. That was when I found out that the left crank arm was 175cm while the right was 165cm! Same make, model, year, just different lengths. I have no idea if it was assembled that way at the factory, at a bike shop or by the owner. The seller was selling for a "friend of a friend" so no answers there. I found a close enough replacement arm and was finally able to get the fit better.

I had looked at the right crank arm when the bike arrived, and was satisfied that 165cm was correct for her height, but never thought to check for a matching left side...
    2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10