Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do the TdF riders need some basic Paceline training????

I don't recall ever seeing as many crashes......They say they're Nervous because of the winds, weather????

I do know that after lots of mile, day after day you lose some "alertness" so maybe that is contributing to it.

Hopefully it will calm down a bit and we'll stop seeing as many riders strewn out everywhere on the ground..........Otherwise it might just be the last rider not to crash wins.

(Btw we had a fatality over the weekend in a race in the mountains when the racer crossed over the intersection in a downhill and went under an oncoming car........I have not heard what caused him to cross over into the oncoming lane but I suspect too much speed for a curve on a downhill)
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is totally bizarre watching all the crashes this year, the most bizarre was today when the TV car swerved over into the break away group and taking out two riders. You name the bone and it's been broken in this tour.....weird! Maybe the group will be more spread out this week as they ride in the mountains....I hope the crashes stop!
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video of the car crash is quite a shock. Here it is: http://ewoud.home.xs4all.nl/cycling/..._carcrash.html

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    Video of the car crash is quite a shock. Here it is: http://ewoud.home.xs4all.nl/cycling/..._carcrash.html
    I couldn't believe that when it happened. It almost looked like it was done on purpose. I would like to think not.
    George

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I couldn't believe that when it happened. It almost looked like it was done on purpose. I would like to think not.
    Well, to be fair, it was either hit a big tree on the left, or punt some guys into the bushes...

They should put that driver on a bike and the two guys he put on the deck should drive him into some barbed wire. That'd be a pretty even trade.

My Bikes
    Look 585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
    Well, to be fair, it was either hit a big tree on the left, or punt some guys into the bushes...

They should put that driver on a bike and the two guys he put on the deck should drive him into some barbed wire. That'd be a pretty even trade.
    Or step on the brakes to let the riders through -- there was absolutely no excuse for this accident! Even clipping the tree would have been better. Not trying to pass at all would have been even better.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikepro View Post
    Or step on the brakes to let the riders through -- there was absolutely no excuse for this accident! Even clipping the tree would have been better. Not trying to pass at all would have been even better.
    Agree.... no excuse for that. None.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, that driver looked like he missed the tree by at least a foot and 1/2. He would have been better off sideswiping the tree then taking out the riders. Also looks like he got his outside wheels caught and then over corrected.
    He also ignored tour directors orders to yield to the team car and tried to speed around the 5. What an idiot and I feel so bad for Johnny Hoogerland, dam that must have hurt...

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikepro View Post
    Or step on the brakes...
    Seems that driver needs the same lesson that drivers on our roads need.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You aren't the only person to notice that there have been a lot more crashes in pro racing recently. Compared to a few decades ago, this sport is kind of a mess.

My Bikes
    1999 Lightspeed Classic, Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing that race radios weren't banned, otherwise it would have been dangerous
    Check out my UltraEndurance blog for ride reports, equipment reviews, and philosophical ramblings...

"I just assume I'm not invisible. I assume I'm wearing fluorescent clothes, and there's a million-dollar bounty going to the first driver who manages to hit me. And I ride on that assumption."
    -- Zodiac, Neal Stephenson

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't watched much pro racing in the past fifteen years. What I find noticeably different now compared to decades past is the lack of smooth riding. My hypothesis is that since the riders began training with power output data, there has been a much greater emphasis on power at the expense of technique. It looks to me like the entire peloton needs to spend a few months on rollers and playing bike polo with a wiffle ball to improve their skills. Of course, many of the crashes have nothing to do with the smoothness of the riders. There's not a lot you can do when a car moves over to slap you. It's equally hard to deal with the constantly changing traction of wet/dry roads.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jppe, sorry to hear of the cycling fatality in your area.

It takes the joy out of an otherwise wonderful day.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just seems so weird that so many of the "Accidents" have involved big name riders.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know exactly why there are more crashes this year, but they are always part of the sport. The idea that these guys need "basic paceline training" is patently ridiculous though - no one makes it to the TDF without being an accomplished bike rider, with skills well beyond any "basic training". And there's nothing to suggest that the accidents have been the fault of the more junior riders. Finally, the accidents have not been in pacelines.

Rider training is not the problem. Seems to me to be more of an issue with too many riders, too many cars/motorcycles, too many spectators, and too tight roads. And they should go back to having a prologue time trail so that the GC guys get separated from the pack earlier on.

- Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe since none of them are doping they are having withdrawal jitters?

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny few are talking about the directors pushing riders hard? Hmmmmm. Gotta wonder.
    Georgia state law stating that bicyclists “May Use Full Lane” when lane widths are not wide enough for motorists to safely pass cyclists and stay completely within the travel lane. (now all I have to do is convince GA drivers to read the law).

Cannondale Synapse 6.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Seems that driver needs the same lesson that drivers on our roads need.
    And that's really scary. If someone riding in the TdF doesn't have better judgment about riding on the open road with bikes, what hope do we have that it will get much better in terms of the average driver?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikegeek57 View Post
    Funny few are talking about the directors pushing riders hard? Hmmmmm. Gotta wonder.
    As the money gets bigger, which it has, getting sponsors had gotten harder. There does seem to be some logic to thinking that riders are pushed harder to get in the limelight. At the same time. the "science of racing" has resulted in real improvement in performance. The speeds at which they're riding is astounding. There were also more riders in the peloton at the start of this year's race. I also wonder if with the GC less of a given this year if there is more risk taking going on to try and secure a podium spot. Finally, like many things in life, sometimes you just run into a string of bad luck.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth noting that fields have gotten smaller over the years, and roads have gotten better. There have been very large crowds, and huge numbers of cars and motorcycles, for decades now. As for speeds, well, they haven't gone up as much as many people seem to think. The average was around 35 km/h in the 1960s and about 40 km/h in the 2000s. I don't think a couple of mph is going to make much of a difference in frequency and severity of falls.

Is there more pressure on Tour riders these days? Almost certainly, and that may have something to do with it. It's also worth noting that western European riders have been complaining about the lack of bike handling skills and pack etiquette of eastern bloc riders for more than a decade now. Maybe they have a point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been a strange tour, the guy on the media car takes out two riders rather than tap his brakes. The riders were in a 5 man break away for crying out loud. I mean, it wasn't as if he did not KNOW they were there.

Another rider was taken out by a motorcycle.

Also, many riders are going down to various crashes or they are being delayed waiting for the road to clear.

It is almost as if the tour is going to go to the guy who manages to avoid trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatW View Post
    It is almost as if the tour is going to go to the guy who manages to avoid trouble.
    You mean the guy the official vehicles conveniently manage to avoid running off the road?

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    If any of the riders involved were seriously hurt you can bet that there will be law suits. What I wonder, is why the heck they permit traffic on those roads during the race. Would make sense to simply close the road the day of the race. It's one day a year, if you tell people a month before the race that the road will be closed that day, it shouldn't be a problem.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine jumping back on the bike and continuing to ride with these injuries.

(NSFW - graphic injury photos)
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-f.../photos/181730

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-f.../photos/181772
    Last edited by CbadRider; 07-11-11 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added NSFW
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Cannondale CAAD 10.3, Felt B16
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I can't imagine jumping back on the bike and continuing to ride with these injuries.

(NSFW - graphic injury photos)
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-f.../photos/181730

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-f.../photos/181772
    They're really difficult to look at, much less imagine how he could have ridden again right after! I read this morning he required 33 stitches to close up some the bad ones (like the one on the side of his knee).
    Last edited by CbadRider; 07-11-11 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added NSFW to quote
    Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast