Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50+ Animal Gallery

Non-domesticated animals seen on my ride today:

2 raccoons - very rare to see around here, they were coming out of a bridge on a trail, scurried over the cement pan into the woods.

One very large bull snake that I thought was dead on the trail, but as I turned around to take a picture, he wriggled away.

About 100 rabbits (regular amount)

Myriads of birds, ducks, red-wing blackbirds, finches

Squirrels

Various flying insects and bugs

and you?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-11-11 at 06:34 PM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been gopher tortoise season around here. Lots of those guys on and around the road. Of course, there's always this:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last ride where I did not stay on city streets was on Thursday.

On that ride I saw:
    * several Ducks-a-swimmin' and ducklings,
    * dozens of Canada Geese and baby goslings,
    * several Swans (including some cygnets),
    * a large turtle sunning on a log,
    * some mammal swimming across a small creek (maybe a muskrat or otter...I can't tell the difference),
    * and lastly I saw up close a Doe and her two spotted fawn.

It was a nice ride!!

Today I saw a young Mustang and an old Barracuda, but they had four wheels.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of ducks and ducklings, one of the more interesting things my wife and I have watched on a ride was a mother duck protecting her flock on the water from a wily coyote attempting to have roast duck for lunch.

This went on quite a while as we watched from a bridge over the creek. The coyote would approach and the mom would scurry her flock away to another location. The coyote didn't seem to want to be in the water too much, and eventually gave it up. Maybe he had a vegetarian lunch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my last ride over the mountain, there was a rattlesnake waiting for me in the road at the top on the way back. I didn't stop for any pleasantries.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I commonly see on my evening rides, beginning around dusk:

-Raccoons.
    -Rabbits. (Lots of them this year, it seems)
    -Canadian Geese.
    -Skunks. (Don't get "skunked"!)
    -Groundhogs.
    -Red Tailed Hawks. They love to perch on the head of a civil war statue in the
    mount Feake (Waltham, MA) Cemetery.
    -Coyotes (2 occasions)
    -And, in increasing numbers, wild turkeys. They will not move out of the way.
    They look at me strangely though. I keep my distance, as they are known to be
    aggressive.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2009 Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not today, but on previous rides. White tailed deer and fawn. The former ran into the trees at the side of the road, but I had to brake for the latter as it didn't seem to know what to do (or perhaps it liked my bike). Coyotes. Rabbits (lots). Squirrels (lots). Eagles. Red tailed hawks. And there was a family of raccoons on my back patio last week if that counts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually carry a camera with me, here are a few captures from along the road over the past several months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw a red fox going across the road in a particular spot coming home in the car. Got the bike out for a ride and saw a red fox crossing the road in the same spot. Went to work the next day and saw a red fox in the same spot dead in the road. Dude crossed the road one too many times.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Saw a red fox going across the road in a particular spot coming home in the car. Got the bike out for a ride and saw a red fox crossing the road in the same spot. Went to work the next day and saw a red fox in the same spot dead in the road. Dude crossed the road one too many times.
    There's got to be a "Why did the red fox cross the road?" joke in here somewhere!!

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bull Snake (Pituophis catenifer sayi) was a great find... had one for a pet as a kid. Back then they were considered their own species, but have since been reclassified as a sub-species of Gopher Snake.

This morning's ride was on the city streets, but rides in the not so distant past have yielded a rattlesnake (missed hitting it by inches), and a Peregrine Falcon, which I got to see go down after something, out of sight into a field. Saturday's group ride passed a large, dead, Western Diamondback rattler. My favorite of the animals I'm apt to see on my commutes is the Roadrunner.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get much wildlife on my Rides through the farming community- plenty of Cows and sheep but get the odd heron or swan around the marshes. But edges of towns and plenty of Foxes. They call them Urban foxes now as they are inhabiting towns and cities. However- and once again Rural Wildlife- Saw a family of Ferrets playing out on the edge of field. Then it was two shot *** shots and no Ferrets. The farmer explained that he has had a problem with them for a few years. Ferrets are not native to the country side and have either been abandoned on his farm or escaped from captivity. Never seen them but our main problem is Mink. Not even Native to the UK and once again ecapees from Fur Farms

But offroad in the forest and plenty of deer- pheasants- Partridge- stoats and weasels. Snakes and they are not common but we only have one poisonous snake and that is the Adder. See them on the Forest trails occasionally but never a problem. They see/hear us and are gone but occasionally they still bask in the hoy sun.

But the real wildlife is offroad at night. Plenty of owls and the worrying thing is those shadows just at the edge of the trail that just miss the lights. There are rumours of Escaped Puma's in our area so what beastie is waiting to pounce? And it happened when I was driving the car one night. Saw an animal crossing the road in the headlights and it was abouf the size of a Labrador dog and an all black colour. I was certain it was a Labrador till it jumped over a 4 ft wall.the movement was definitely cat like.
    Last edited by stapfam; 07-12-11 at 02:54 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    There's got to be a "Why did the red fox cross the road?" joke in here somewhere!!
    To get to "Lizbeth"
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 07-12-11 at 12:40 PM.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    2011 Prius Three, Specialized Venge, Felt B16, Look 566, Giant TCXW
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tourists....

Racer Ex..."Don't know if the shop is under new ownership. If not feel free to shoplift stuff and break bottles in his parking lot."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the wild life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This morning on the way home from work at 05:40 a.m. Plenty of daylight as the sun is rising.

Empty MUP, long straight down-hill stretch, Nerd on a recumbent (me) going 20+mph.... have I painted an image yet?

O.K.....part way down this hill about six feet to the left is a 20 foot long section of six foot tall stockade fence running parallel to the trail. Between the trail and the fence is a lot of very tall vegetation.

It all happened pretty fast! I think it was a deer grazing in the tall vegetation that I startled, I sure hope it was a deer. All I saw was a flash of very bright brown..almost reddish. What a racket that critter made trampling the weeds as it bounded along the fence just to my left and back a few inches. We were both northbound for a few heatbeats almost side by side, then came the end of the fence and the beast was gone!!

Put me down for one deer, please.

I also saw lots of bunnies this morning, and gazillions of tiny flying critters that tasted really, really, terrible!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a baby snapping turtle on the edge of the road yesterday. I was about the size of a quarter. I stopped and turned it around headed back toward the water instead of out into the road.

One of the things I like most about cycling is you have the chance to see the world at a different pace. I never would have seen it if I had been riding in a car.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics TomD! Very nice!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know that blue condoms are a life form.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

astro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Non-domesticated animals seen on my ride today:

2 raccoons - very rare to see around here, they were coming out of a bridge on a trail, scurried over the cement pan into the woods.

One very large bull snake that I thought was dead on the trail, but as I turned around to take a picture, he wriggled away.

About 100 rabbits (regular amount)

Myriads of birds, ducks, red-wing blackbirds, finches

Squirrels

Various flying insects and bugs

and you?
    Today, not much of anything. Yesterday, came upon a deer eating right at the side of the road - a narrow two lane road. We stared at each other until I was even with the him, not more than 10 ft away. Just as I passed and the distance started to increase, he bolted. It was a young buck with two nubs for antlers. Not more than a half mile farther along on the same road, a fox crossed in front of me. Later another deer, but farther off.

Squirrels, birds, and bugs are so common, it's probably only remarkable when you don't see any!

- Ed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of creeks in my neighborhood and one of my joys is to go to various pools and and see how things are going on. The most amazing thing is the goldfish. I've seen it in the same pool over the course of 3 summers. So I guess it is thriving. It also tends to answer one question I had about whether fish get washed down the river in the rains or do they find places to hide when the water volume kicks up.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Giant Seek1, Rocky Mountain Hammer 29er, Schwinn Varsity
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On vacation in Bohol Philippines and riding my bike daily. Saw a large lizard but he was too fast to get a picture. Did get a picture of some monkeys.

DSCF0852.JPG

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing today, but on Sunday's ride I was going down the bike path and two doe jumped out from the palmettos across the road. I looked over to the left where they came from and saw the buck edging toward the road to cross. I didn't want him jumping out in front of me so I yelled at him and he turned and went the other way. I see deer there all the time, but if I were out hunting, the only thing I would come home with is a cold.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Squawk - on yer RIGHT - Squawk"

Going up a hill today at about 14 mph, I heard "Squaawk" - and flying just above and parallel to me was a beautiful Blue Heron. Well, I learned that a Blue Heron can go more than 14 miles per hour, but I beat it in endurance - the Heron apparently had to stop at a pond on the creek and rest!

Also saw a lot of those little Prairie Rats - some folks call them Prairie Dogs, but that is a misnomer.

My Bikes
    2010 Fuji Roubaix, 1984 Schwinn World Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The eastern white tail deer along the River Trail have become so accustomed to riders they don't even pop their flag any more, even if they're standing right on the edge of the trail. Riders freak out on them more than they do us. Sunday night I had one open it's mouth at me like it was about to make some casual comment, but it apparently thought better of it and remained silent. During a group ride a few weeks back a couple of deer crossed in front of us and one of the riders instinctively yelled "deer up!"
    The Internet: Bringing the world's bathroom wall to your computer since 1995.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast