Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why???

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but why are so many of the posters in the 50+ forum so old? Complaining about aches and pains, buying cruiser or hybrid bikes, and "bragging" about riding 5 miles, 2 or 3 times a week?

I'll be 60 next month and commute 4-5 days a week (only 8.5 miles one way ) and ride my road bike Saturday and Sunday.

Come on. Get out and ride and grab hold of life. You're not dead yet!
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple, it's called group motivation. Not everyone is at your physical condition. Some took decades off of exercising. Almost all of us want to get better and who else would understand how hard it is to get moving again?

If it bothers you, stay off the over 50 subforum. You won't see those comments on the other subforums.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Some call it God's country. I call it Acton, Maine
    My Bikes
    Too Many - 7 or 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I find the fact that there is even a board for older riders a positive thing. And I am impressed so many folks over 50 are even out on bikes. 15 years ago, the percentages were not even close to what they are now. If complaining about the aches and pains we all have as we get older helps to reinforce their riding, hey, go for it. At least they are fighting the aches by riding and not giving in to them.

My only complaint about recreational riders of all ages is their apparent hang up on mileage, Average MPH, etc. While I still keep track of mine, I gave up worrying about the miles I did or didn't do or how fast or slow I went. For me, it's the frequency and the time on the saddle that counts. 5 miles or 50, if I am out on my bike, I am happy.
    Keep it 'tween the ditches

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few of us on this forum that would class ourselves fairly fit mature riders. Unfortunately there are also a number of us that have recently taken up riding because we have realised that we are not as fit as we used to be, or we have decided that we should improve our fitness to stop the onset of other problems.
    The mere fact that as a "new" cyclist, they can only do a few miles initially should not be put down. The fact is, they are now cyclist's and enjoying the sport that a more experienced rider has known for years. That "few miles" at present, will improve and although they may never get up to doing a "Century" or an "Epic ride" doesn't matter. They are now cyclists.
    On the aches and pains side, as we get older, we get new ailments. If we can enquire of other riders experience of that ailment, it may help us to recover from it in a quicker time. Didn't help me a few years ago when I had a bypass. The quacks had no experience of a nutter wanting to get back on a bike ASAP. I had to take my own lead and find out the problems associated with this myself, and the problems were at times very worrying. If I could have contacted anyone that was in my situation, then I could have drawn on their experience and I may have recovered easier.

Now go back to my ride last Sunday. Took a new rider out for his first trip offroad. Took it easy to allow him to get used to everything but we cut the ride short to give a total of 25 miles. We wore the rider out too quickly, not too fast up the hills, and not too fast downhill where inexperience could put him into trouble. We also kept to smoothish trails so his body would not get too shaken about. The rider admitted afterwards that he needs a bit more fitness to keep up with us. By the way, that new ridetr was fit, plays rugby every week, regurly rides a bike to work and back and is only 28.

Some call it God's country. I call it Acton, Maine
    My Bikes
    Too Many - 7 or 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on, admit it. Don't you secretly love pounding some young squirt into the ground. I know I do.

My favorite story regarding old vs young was about 10 years ago. A young fella came into my shop and asked about mountain bike rides. I told him we went out on Sundays and he was welcome to join us. I could feel this guy checking me out. He said, "Well, up to college we really hammered." I told him it didn't matter how fast or slow someone was, all were welcome. Anyway, fast forward to the next Sunday. While everyone is going through their pre-ride rituals, I told Tom that we might have to keep an eye on that guy. He was young and full of piss and vinegar. We drew straws to see who was going to have the sucky job of chasing him down. I lost. Well, we started our ride and the first mile or so is a slight but steady upstroke. By the top, the kid was nowhere to be seen. He had fallen off the back. Tom and I looked at each other and we grinned. Today was going to be fun. The kid shows up and in between gasps, he mumbles something about chainsuck. We said no problem, let him catch his breath and then started the rest of the climb. By mile 15 in the normal 24/25 mile ride, the kid was asking to bail. I rode him down to pavement and directed him towards the lot where we had parked. Only about 5 miles. Well, we finished our ride and as we rode that same road back an hour later, there he was propped up against a sign post, 2 miles from the cars, and lookin mighty pitiful. His only comment was, " Do you guys ride like this all the time?" We just grinned and went to get my pick up truck to haul him home.
    Keep it 'tween the ditches

My Blog - Lost in the Bo Zone

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
    Simple, it's called group motivation. Not everyone is at your physical condition. Some took decades off of exercising. Almost all of us want to get better and who else would understand how hard it is to get moving again?

If it bothers you, stay off the over 50 subforum. You won't see those comments on the other subforums.
    Problem is with some of the other forums--- I can't understand what they are talking about, and If I do understand, I can't understand why they are talking about it. Perhaps it is age, but why should someone want to fit parts with "Bling" (whatever that is) to a cheap bike that I would not even contemplate putting a new rider on.

Yes you are right. This forum is for the older rider, and if that includes a medical side to it aswell, then at least I can relate to it

By the way, this is from an older rider, that can still get out and do some aggressive riding, but I do enjoy taking out new riders so that I can come down to their level for a rest

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH
    I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but why are so many of the posters in the 50+ forum so old? Complaining about aches and pains, buying cruiser or hybrid bikes, and "bragging" about riding 5 miles, 2 or 3 times a week?

I'll be 60 next month and commute 4-5 days a week (only 8.5 miles one way ) and ride my road bike Saturday and Sunday.

I'm 60 and I ride 100+ miles a month on my road bike. I also occasionaly run errands on my other road bike with panniers to carry stuff.

When I started cycling again this year after a 5 year layoff, I could barely do 10 miles on a ride. Now I could go all day.

But who cares how many time a week and how far you go and what kind of bike you ride? Just as long as you're on a bike, that's the important thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to stop and count your blessings.

Everything you stated about yourself can change in one instant, as you well know.

Just be glad it hasn't, and enjoy your ride.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to get back into riding I have a mtb and a road bike that I haven't ridden in ten years plus but I didn't want to get real serious just get some exersise and have fun so last week I bought a bmx bike I have been having a ball at 52 yo.don't keep up with mi or speed just have fun.watch for me at the x-games next year lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 55 and have the normal aches and pains of a man my age. I haven't ridden seriously or done any kind of exercise since my early teens. Six months ago after goofing around on and off with riding I settled down and started to do it for real. When I started in late May or early June I'd huff and puff going around the block once. Thought I was going to die when I did my first 5 miles. This past Saturday I completed my first Metric Century, it took 5 1/2 hours, but I did it. When I got off the bike, I thought I'd never walk, but I did!!

Yes, I'm out of shape, with High Blood Pressure. It took everything I had to finish it, I only hope when I'm your age I'm in better shape than I am now.
    "Angel, Bop Bop loves you!!!"

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
    Simple, it's called group motivation. Not everyone is at your physical condition.
    FYI: When I got back into riding in 1999 I weighed 240# (6'-0"). I was a wreck but didn't complain.
    I'm down to 185# and would like to lose another 20#. Cycling and eating right will work wonders. No complaining here.
    My only complaining has been about corporate downsizing and age discrimination.

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bop Bop
    I'm 55 and have the normal aches and pains of a man my age. I haven't ridden seriously or done any kind of exercise since my early teens. Six months ago after goofing around on and off with riding I settled down and started to do it for real. When I started in late May or early June I'd huff and puff going around the block once. Thought I was going to die when I did my first 5 miles. This past Saturday I completed my first Metric Century, it took 5 1/2 hours, but I did it. When I got off the bike, I thought I'd never walk, but I did!!

Yes, I'm out of shape, with High Blood Pressure. It took everything I had to finish it, I only hope when I'm your age I'm in better shape than I am now.

5 1/2 hours. Not bad for an oldie, in fact for a first century ride and an oldie with only 6 months riding-- pretty good. Well done

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I DO take this post the way it is intended and am not suitably impressed by a preference for road bikes, nor determining an individual's "grab hold of life "status by their riding stats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam,

Thank you! Yes this "oldie" even surprised himself. Would like to do another sometime in February 2005.
    "Angel, Bop Bop loves you!!!"

My Bikes
    My All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow! From the very inception of 50+...
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    This reminds me why I never go into road...........thanks guys.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post

Oh dear. You sound like a doper

This is the 50+ forum. Where else can you post about what wheelset to buy AND which colonoscopy preparation is the easiest? You won't catch that on the 33.

I think this forum is good for the aging n00b. Many older riders have been riding forever and are in great shape.

Then there are nonathletic types like me who don't take up riding until their 50s.

Our gains can be very very slow. It took me two years to figure out that I needed a road bike and another three years to learn to ride it. Only this week did I go 50 miles and enjoy it (I've done longer but they end up being semi-religious rides into Purgatory rather than something that was fun).

Admit that on the 41 and your reception will be harsh.

BTW, I've learned the most about pacing and touring from a guy who is 79 and I suspect could whoop most of the jungens here. And you're right, I never hear him complain about specifics, only generic stuff like "It sure is hot out here" sort of thing.

And BTW BTW, if I ever traveled to the land of my ancestors, I guarantee I'd try to look Stapfam up and ride with him. I'd also call him a doper. He probably is.

My Bikes
    Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Oh dear. You sound like a doper

This is the 50+ forum. Where else can you post about what wheelset to buy AND which colonoscopy preparation is the easiest? You won't catch that on the 33.

I think this forum is good for the aging n00b. Many older riders have been riding forever and are in great shape.

Then there are nonathletic types like me who don't take up riding until their 50s.

Our gains can be very very slow. It took me two years to figure out that I needed a road bike and another three years to learn to ride it. Only this week did I go 50 miles and enjoy it (I've done longer but they end up being semi-religious rides into Purgatory rather than something that was fun).

Admit that on the 41 and your reception will be harsh.

BTW, I've learned the most about pacing and touring from a guy who is 79 and I suspect could whoop most of the jungens here. And you're right, I never hear him complain about specifics, only generic stuff like "It sure is hot out here" sort of thing.

And BTW BTW, if I ever traveled to the land of my ancestors, I guarantee I'd try to look Stapfam up and ride with him. I'd also call him a doper. He probably is.
    all your comments are addressed to a 6 year old thread
    I don't do vintage, I bought them new, rode them, kept them. Now they are just old bikes
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bustercrb/sets/72157623483647522/

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI: When I got back into riding in 1999 I weighed 240# (6'-0"). I was a wreck but didn't complain.
    I'm down to 185# and would like to lose another 20#. Cycling and eating right will work wonders. No complaining here.
    My only complaining has been about corporate downsizing and age discrimination.
    You should be congratulated for your achievements. Your success can motivate others. We can sympathize with others who are having a tough time and hope we can encourage them to improve. We can give them ideas about how we made transitions in our life. Anybody who even tries to ride should be encouraged.

I am in fairly good physical condition, but there are many in this sub-forum who ride better than me. They give me hope for continual improvement.

I used to ride monster hills and have none to test my skills in Houston. I hope I can still do some hard climbs if I get a chance. When I read about riders my age climbing steep hills on a fixed gear, I have hopes of being able to climb again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHY would anyone ever criticize another for posting about what they are accomplishing and feeling good about taking some control over their fitness and longevity is the real question.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why was this nearly four year old thread resurrected?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good threads never die.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zombie thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this forum because the people are reasonably civil and few seem to be trying to prop up their egos by strutting around and bashing others. A lot of 50+ people seem to have come to the realization that what seemed important at 30 really wasn't. If someone is a beginner or wants to write about age-related issues that's fine with me although I can't readily relate being only 56. (Haha). The default position for me is that I am automatically friends with anyone who uses a bike for health, fitness or transportation, unless or until that person turns out to be a ****wad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    Good threads never die.
    ...and neither do ones like this.

SP
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was resurrected as a way of demonstrating there has always been a bit of tension about the tone, subject matter and goals of the 50+ forum (see other active/current threads on this topic).

Maybe the point is that we occasionally have different ways of looking at cycling past 50 but the forum tends to survive (mostly) as a decent place to hang out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast