User Tag List

Thread: Starting over

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting over

Hi folks

So a quick intro and then my dilemma. So back in the day I was one of the better Duathlete, triathlete around these parts at my peak back in the 90's I weighed 162 Ib's and a 32 min 10k was doable and a 70k ride in the mountains (Okanagan BC) here was a breeze.

So when I was 50 my Harley was more important and I pretty much gave up except for the odd run and cycle. Anyway the Granfondo went by my house the other day and suddenly I have the urge never mind my old training partner who was no better than me back when was 14th over all and ahead of Axel Merckx 25th in over 2000 riders.

So having said that a new saddle, helmet and shoes are on the list. But what about the bike a Gardin which is CM and a combination of Campagnolo, Mavic, Durace, 300 and 105. The derailers are of course friction which isn't a problem.

I'm completly ignorant of what's happened with bikes the last 20 years or so and do my 105 pedals still work with modern shoes / cleats?

If I was to meet some goals I might road race or do a duathlon again so I'm interested in knowing what ya all would you do?
    Last edited by Kevin Wheeler; 07-13-11 at 10:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get out and ride of course.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you wear out what you got, you will know what you need. Welcome back!
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a new bike and Start Over.

Just make sure it is all fun for you.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride, have fun, repeat.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup. Go ride.
    Pedals and cleats aren't much different. I recently sold my 20 year old Cannondale and got a Specialized Allez. The pedals I got for it(LOOK) look just that same as what I had on the Cannondale.

Where you live now?
    Last edited by bigbadwullf; 07-13-11 at 12:05 PM.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start riding and figure it out from there.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwullf View Post
    Yup. Go ride.
    Pedals and cleats aren't much different. I recently sold my 20 year old Cannondale and got a Specialized Allez. The pedals I got for it(LOOK) look just that same as what I had on the Cannondale.

Where you live now?
    Oh Okanagan BC near Penticton (Ironman city) and some of the world best riding.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are going to feel like this guy.

Everything has changed but not much has changed.... It is still about the engine.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    You are going to feel like this guy.

Everything has changed but not much has changed.... It is still about the engine.
    I thought I heard a camera!!

Yes Kevin, like everyone said already, just get out and ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter what you ride when you re-start- it will be slow till you get that old Engine rebuilt. May not take long but it will give you time to find out if your old bike is any good up against those shiny new models in the Showroom.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin,

I really am having trouble understaning some of your post but in any event, if you have a quality older bike then it is probalvy as good or better than anything new. New components may refresh the ride as drive trains have gotten smoother and easier to shift while riding.

Hermes is right - it is still all about the engine. So get that tuned up and the rest will fall into place.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again,

So I have a good start I dusted off my mountain bike and have 2 days of riding or 25 k of trails. Lookee what I nearly rode over tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wheeler View Post
    . . . If I was to meet some goals I might road race or do a duathlon again so I'm interested in knowing what ya all would you do?
    You have a good bike so I suggest first getting the motor back in tune. First, ride a few hundred miles taking it easy on yourself. Today would be a fine day to start. Once you start to build a good base begin challenging yourself again.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I did ride the last 3 of five days and missed 2 days because of sore butt and rain. Anyway work is 20k from here and the trail starts right out my back door and takes me within a kilometer of work. We have hundreds of kilometers of torn up track trail like this here. This is the trail to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would so disagree that any 20 year old bike is as good as modern bikes. It may be enjoyable but it won't be as fast and as light as a new full carbon fiber bike. In terms of getting back into shape it makes little difference other than new carbon bikes will be easier on the bones and you can buy them with higher head tubes so they are less of a stress on older backs and arms. I'd start riding on the old bike and if it was hard on the body I'd start looking at new carbon fiber bikes if the wallet allows.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I did ride the last 3 of five days and missed 2 days because of sore butt and rain. Anyway work is 20k from here and the trail starts right out my back door and takes me within a kilometer of work. We have hundreds of kilometers of torn up track trail like this here. This is the trail to work.
    That's some gorgeous riding country right there. Ya just gotta watch that Ogopogo doesn't get ya.

Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my route to work looked like that, the battery would die in my car.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I did that Gran Fondo! I guess I rode by your place. I agree with the ranks, go ride your steel bike and if you fall in love with the sport again, go pick up a nice CF bike. You will appreciate the differences.

I will be back out in a few weeks to do a ride from Hope to Stump Lake then 10 days of mountainbiking around Quilchena and Douglas Ranch areas.

Keep the OK nice and warm!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I live in summerland right at the bottom of the backside of giant's head. A friend I used to race with in the nineties was 13th in the Gran fondo. Pretty impressive for being over fifty. When we showed horses at Douglas lake we always stayed in the Quilchena hotel it's pretty cool.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I live in summerland right at the bottom of the backside of giant's head. A friend I used to race with in the nineties was 13th in the Gran fondo. Pretty impressive for being over fifty. When we showed horses at Douglas lake we always stayed in the Quilchena hotel it's pretty cool.
    I have never stayed there as my brother has a place on Stump Lake. Back when my father graduated high school, my grandfather took him fishing on Nicola Lake and they stayed at the Quilchena. It is a cool looking place. Your buddy placing 13th is quite an achievement. Lots of strong riders there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And surprising if you look at the results is the number of guys over fifty out in front